The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2000, 07:28 AM   #1
BB

One of my girlfriends' neighbors is from Africa, I'm not sure where but I think its Namibia, I'm not sure. Anyway, we've been invited to go stay with them on his family farm, and I know he and I will go hunting. What would be a good rifle to take? I can't afford anything really expensive, I'm thinking a Winchester M70. Question is, in what cartridge? What would be the most versitile rifle chambering for the widest variety of game in Africa?
Old August 17, 2000, 08:31 AM   #2
Eric of IN

From what I've heard around here, .375 H&H. Enough gun for almost all critters African, and still not too much for deer in the US. Ammo is supposed to be easy to come by everywhere.
Eric

------------------
Thaw Shorty!
Old August 17, 2000, 10:00 AM   #3
RobCon

It depends on what species you will pursue. The .30'06 is enough for nondangerous game up to wildebeest in my experience( three safaris. ) For eland, which weigh the better part of a ton, the .375H&H will suffice. The .375 is the minimum for dangerous game and I include the leopard. Many leopards have been taken with lesser calibers, I simply prize my portly body in its unmodified condition. For a one-gun safari the .375 is hard to beat. All African game is remarkably tenacious of life. My daughter has taken impala, warthog and zebra with one round of .308 each, using Federal 165gr Trophy Bonded ammo. She is a fine field marksman, however and I prefer the '06 with 200 Noslers and 220 Barnes solids.Hope this helps.
Old August 17, 2000, 10:30 AM   #4
Hueco

Get a 375 Holland & Holland! Buy different loads and go with it. Just make sure you get a few solids just in case....

But definitely, 375 H&H. If you think you are going to be after the larger animals, get a 416 Rigby.

Hueco
Old August 17, 2000, 11:53 AM   #5
Dagny

M60 mounted in the door of a helicopter http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/m60-e3.htm

20mm cannon and a helicopter gunship

Seriously, I concure with the 375 H&H
There are heavier calibers but they are really needless overkill when you return to North American game.
Old August 17, 2000, 01:48 PM   #6
Keith Rogan

A .350 Rem mag would be perfect! And I just happen to have one, but you'll have to take me along as a "consultant" on all the ins and outs of this wondrous caliber.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old August 17, 2000, 02:37 PM   #7
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dagny:
20mm cannon and a helicopter gunship
[/quote]

Only if you're hunting this.

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited August 17, 2000).]
Old August 17, 2000, 07:07 PM   #8
SnakeLover

Do you currently own a rifle? If so, what caliber(s)? Based on that and what game you think you'll encounter, it would be easier to offer an opinion.
Old August 17, 2000, 08:59 PM   #9
BB

SnakeLover -
The only rifles I have now are evil black rifles in .223 and .308.

I found out he'x from Zambia, don't know what we'll be hunting.
Old August 17, 2000, 09:11 PM   #10
BadMedicine

I agree with everybody that a .375 is the best choice, because it is still very usable when back in the states. Good for about all big game. I just got one in a remington 700 in May. It'll suit me for bear (black&brown) caribou, moose, and even deer out on the islands. Hope you have a great trip, and may your jeep runneth over with game
Old August 18, 2000, 04:45 PM   #11
SnakeLover

The .375 would be a good choice to cover the spectrum. However, if you aren't going for any of the "Big 5" you really don't need that much gun. I used a .338 last fall on everything from elk size game to 65 lbs springbok. In camp, the 5 of us had the following spread in rifles: 1 -.280, 1 -.338, and 3 -.300 Win Mags. My PH carried a .338 as well. When I return, I'm taking my .338 A-Bolt again along with my Model 70 Featherwieght in .257 Roberts for some of the smaller stuff and for my wife to use. The biggest animals hunted this coming trip will be eland.

I'd say your choice of a Mod 70 with a good scope would be an excellant choice. Good luck and happy hunting!!
Old August 20, 2000, 12:18 PM   #12
BB

SnakeLover, what are "the big 5"?
Old August 20, 2000, 03:08 PM   #13
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

The big five traditionally were :elephant, lion, buffalo, rhino and leopard. Recently, the rhino is both expensive and silly. Silly due to the only huntable populations being white rhino. The dry land hippo and croc are looking pretty good. Lots of each and both are pretty exciting/dangerous.

One point for an African rifle - if you can, find out what your friend uses. If it's a reasonable caliber, think about getting yours in the same. Not too important for a PH, but the ability to leave your remaining ammo would count for a lot. Ammo is very expensive and difficult to get anywhere but SA.

Giz
Old August 20, 2000, 03:10 PM   #14
SnakeLover

BB, the "Big 5" are considered to be the elephant, rhino, cape buffalo, leopard, and lion. Right now, the only country within all of Africa where one can hunt/take all 5 is South Africa.
Old August 21, 2000, 12:40 PM   #15
Matrix

I have a few friends that have been to Africa, we've spent many an hour talking guns. All commented on the toughness of African game. For most hunting (plains game), they agree on the .338. I've seen a few of their videos from a plains game hunt, and the .338 really whallops them. The others in the party were shooting .300s and 7 mags, and the .338 was the only one with consistant one shot drops. Of course, the .375 probably wouldn't be a mistake, either. Good luck! I'm envious.....
Old August 22, 2000, 11:07 AM   #16
MAD DOG

If you are hunting the plains game in Namibia, then a decent .30 caliber will do nicely.
I recommend a low power scope, with iron sights to back it up.
My scope was a 3-9X, but I shot it a 3X for everything in the bush.
I turned it up to 9X while assassinating Hyrax ("rock rabbits") on rocks WAAAY out there.
I just went with a .308 that belonged to my host. (but would have preferred my beloved 30-06)
I shot Kudu and Warthog with 165 grain bullets. They all died. Longest shot I made on Warthog was about 300 yards. Shortest shot I made was 156 yards for my first Kudu.
My host lives and hunts there, he shot a .300 win mag Remington Sendero with GREAT success.
He did a fantastic 358 yard head shot on a Kudu bull, uphill at a 40 degree angle no less.

Kudu and Oryx are about the same size as Arizona elk, and die with about the same amount of kinetic energy being imparted to their frames, or so it would seem.

The other hunters I spoke to, all African native Afrikaaners, loved the 30-06 and the .338 Win Mag for everything short of Buf.

Buf and Elephant are scarse and EXPENSIVE to hunt in Namibia, even when you consider the current and still plummeting 7:1 exchange rate on the Namibian Dollar.

Namibia, especially in the northern bush, is overrun with leopards. They are less expensive to hunt (than Buf at ~$5K each and jumbo at ~$10K) at about $2,000.00 US each.
this translates to $14,000.00 Namibian!
They take a lot of preparation to bag, so the price is higher than you would expect, considering their numbers.