The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Legionnaire

Minimum safe distance for steel targets?

I bought a number of AR500 steel disks to use as targets. I've read a number of threads about steel, and have learned a lot about how to set them up. I've built a couple of portable stands from which to hang the steel so that they hang at an angle to deflect splatter and ricochets downward. But I still have a specific question for all of you who shoot steel on a regular basis:

What is considered the minimum safe distance for shooting steel with lead round balls and hard-cast bullets at black powder velocities? 10 yards? More? I've never done any cowboy action shooting ... what are the shortest distances there? Thanks!
Old April 10, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

The cowboy matches I've been to have them as close as 10 yards- but that is with lead bullets only. Jacketed bullets will require ranges of 25 yards or more to prevent being hit by copper shrapnel.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Hawg

Minimum CAS distance is 7 yards but you will be hit by splatter now and then.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Legionnaire

Thanks. I'll be shooting lead only. Even then, seven yards seems awfully close to me, but knowing that's the minimum CAS distance is reassuring. Think I'll start out at eleven or twelve all the same. I've hung the targets on short lengths of chain to help absorb some of the impact; should help a little bit with ricochets/splatter.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
maillemaker

What thickness plate do you use?
Old April 10, 2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Legionnaire

I'll have to check, but I think it is 1/2 inch.
Old April 10, 2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Noz

If the targets are hung properly, there will be little or no spatter. Targets hung on rebar are notorious for excessive amounts of spatter but that comes from fragments striking the rebar and bouncing around.
I have shot several major matches where the pistol targets were much closer than 7 yards. In all cases the targets were properly hung and no spatter was perceived.
The targets must be hung so that the bottom of the plate is angled away from the shooter whether it is hung on chains or some other moveable device.
Targets that are shot with hardball ammo, even 45ACP or 9mm will develop dimples in the target face. These dimples will throw objectionable sized pieces back at you. Keep the hard stuff off of them or move them way out.
Old April 10, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Tanker6

I agree with Noz....if the targets are hung so as direct the splatter down and away from the firing line, 7 yards (or a bit closer) is fine without any appreciable splatter to the line.

I have 5 targets I shoot at on my property -- 2 silouettes (sp?) and 3 8" circles. I have the silouettes angled just a bit so splatter is directed away (not necessarily down) from the firing line. The circles are hung from a "hitching post" style set of 4"X4"'s by old fire hose which allows them to swing freely. I shoot from 20 feet regularly and have not observed any splatter.

Also, I think the consensus is that the steel should be 3/8", but if they're 1/2", I'd shoot 'em until I had a problem. Realize that damaged targets (i.e. dimples, concaving of the target, etc.) will increase the splatter and richochet factor.

Happy Shooting!

T6 a/k/a Chickahominy Charlie
Old April 10, 2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Legionnaire

Yes, steel is 1/2 inch. Here's a pic of the stand (I plan to peg the front edge down). Note that the face of the plate does slope down at approx 10 degrees. Base is steel; uprights are cheap lath sprayed black ... won't ricochet if I accidentally hit them, and easy and cheap to replace when needed. I'm guessing the AR500 steel plate will last a lifetime; the stands ... well, not so much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TgtStnd2.jpg (169.2 KB, 933 views)
Old April 11, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Hawg

You should be good to go with that.
Old April 11, 2012, 07:30 AM   #11
woody wood

i have about the same set up same hanging angle with a square ar500 plate that is around 1/2 or mabe thicker. at 50 or 100 yards what can i and cannot shoot at it? thinking 7.62x39,7.62x54,.223,30-06? but most are military fmj.thinking about safety of others and myself.will the plate hold up to thoes calibers?

--sorry- not trying to jack your thread,just trying to imform and be imformed.
Old April 11, 2012, 09:02 AM   #12
Noz

I had a nice target layout with 3 hanging from chain, 5 hanging from a rail and two spring mounted. All 3/8" plate.
My brother in law and grandson in law to be were at my place for a family dinner. They wanted to shoot. I got out the 1860s and we went to the range with their guns. 1911s and some pocket carry guns.
I discovered that I did not have any caps. the caps were at the business three minutes away.
I went to get them and while I was gone the kid broke out his father's competition AR15 with FMJ bullets.
When I returned, all of my targets were ruined with many of them completely holed, all severely cratered.
I now, with new targets, do not even allow 380 hard balls on my range.

Legionnaire. The base of your target stand has the support angle iron with the point up. A bullet striking the plate could be deflected down and strike that angle and be sent back to you. I had to dig a back half of a 41 mag bullet out of my leg with a set up like that.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:27 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
i have about the same set up same hanging angle with a square ar500 plate that is around 1/2 or mabe thicker. at 50 or 100 yards what can i and cannot shoot at it? thinking 7.62x39,7.62x54,.223,30-06? but most are military fmj.thinking about safety of others and myself.will the plate hold up to thoes calibers?
The 30-06 will pock it. Here's a pretty good discussion on target steel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455468
Old April 11, 2012, 06:03 PM   #14
Legionnaire

Thanks, all, for the tips and feedback. Much appreciated.
Old April 15, 2012, 02:23 PM   #15
Legionnaire

Found this chart at ArntzenTargets.com. Looks like they have some pretty neat targets and portable stands, too.
Old April 15, 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
ltdave

uspsa says 11 yards...

they dont make any distinction between lead or jacketed bullets...