The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 22, 2009, 07:11 AM   #1
kayakersteve

Knife robberies on increase in UK - Go figure!

Here's the news link: http://uk.reuters.com/article/domest...50L2DO20090122

I especially like this phrase:
Quote:
"Over the next few months we are going to ... work with retailers, to prevent the sale of knives, particularly to young people, (and) work with community organisations to give young people an alternative to using knives."
So, since they already took away their guns, and now planning to restrict knife sales - What will be the alternative?? Here you go, young man, please use this club for your robbery instead of a gun or knife!
Old January 22, 2009, 07:38 AM   #2
dipper

While shopping for a bottle of wine for a Christmas gift for a friend of ours, my wife and I met a nice young man from the UK who was working at the store as a salesman.
He accent was still pretty noticeable so I asked were he was from and he said he grew up in a few different places in the UK.
I asked which he liked better, living in the US in NC or his homeland.
He said USA by far.

We talked awhile about the differences in lifestyle and he lifted up his shirt to show two large scars....he had been stabbed on two different occasions.
He told my wife and I that just about everyone in his old hometowns had scars from knife wounds.
Went on to say how you could get stabbed in and around London and other places very easily by roving gangs of youngsters anywhere from 12 to 20 years old.
He said he had lost two friends to knife attacks and that in most cases, the police were no help whatsoever.

Quote:
"Over the next few months we are going to ... work with retailers, to prevent the sale of knives, particularly to young people, (and) work with community organisations to give young people an alternative to using knives."
They can't keep knives out of Maximum security prisons, how are they going to keep them from "free" people??

I hope Americans take note about whats happening around us and many laws do nothing to make us safer.
Old January 22, 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Crosshair

I was reading on that somewhere and it turns out that the criminal with a gun was more likely to simply brandish it or fire a warning shot, where the criminals with knives were MUCH more likely to actually use them against people.

In the end, the crimes where the perp had a knife tended to result in more injuries than in the ones where the perp was armed with a gun.
Don't remember where I read that though.
Old January 23, 2009, 01:22 AM   #4
TwoKings

I am a dual citizen with the US and UK and spend alot of time in England. There is a big problem there with knife related attacks. They happen alot in pubs and clubs when the alcohol gets mixed in and everyone is carrying a knife. My cousin was stabbed last year at a club when he got into a fight and a friend of his was murdered 2 years ago on a beach in south england when he got into a fight with some people who stabbed him to death.

The funny thing is that my relatives and friends in the UK always give me crap about owning guns and living in a gun society, yet I tell them I feel alot safer going out on the town at night in the States than I do in the UK. Oh, and what is the first thing they want to do when they come states side to visit? Hit the gun range of course...

Last edited by TwoKings; January 23, 2009 at 01:28 AM.