The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 1999, 03:32 PM   #1
house

I was reading a few month ago about a new shot gun shell called the MINI SHELL i belive the company that makes is aguli?????
correct me if i am wrong. Has anybody shot this ammo. you can shoot it in you 12g shotgun. Was wondering wereou can get some?
Old December 3, 1999, 03:28 AM   #2
blades67

The company is Aguilla, out of Mexico. The shells are only about 1" long. In the article I read, the author said they wouldn't cycle reliably in anything he fired but a Winchester 1300. Then he added that modifying the elevator of the 870 might make them cycle reliably.
As to where you can get them, just check your area for an Aguilla distributor and inquire about availability.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old December 3, 1999, 08:21 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The query I have is,"Why?"...

There's darn few HD scenarios that won't resolve with the standard ammo. Last I heard the FBI stats showed in real firefights, one round of Shotgun ammo was all that was needed per perp.

Also,even in my dotage, I can speedload and fire one round at a time at speeds that approach those of a tyro firing from a full magazine.

This mini shell strikes me as an attempt to substitute technology for expertise,and that seldom works....
Old December 3, 1999, 12:25 PM   #4
Espresso

Another question.

How legal would it be to use in a weapon with an extended magazine? For example: Although the Rem 870 Police model with it's extended mag is designed to hold only seven rounds, it would seem to be capable of holding more than ten with this short shell. If so, I'm sure ATF would have something to say about it. I vaguely remember a similar situation by ATF with 5.56 AP ammo. Seems like someone (Olimpic Arms?) who first built a AR pistol caused ATF to declare 5.56 AP illegal for civilian becase it was now handgun ammo since a manufacturer had made a pistol that was able to use it. I don't remember the eventual outcome as there are several AR type handguns now and I still see the availability of SS-109 ammo.

Comments please.

Espresso
Old December 3, 1999, 02:28 PM   #5
Correia

Espresso, It was actually a 7.62x39 AR15 pistol. It was an excuse for the ATF to stop the importation of the cheap chinese steel core bullets. (Remember when it cost a little more than .22)
Old December 3, 1999, 06:12 PM   #6
Rosco P. Coltrain

Esspreso, there is no legal issue. Shotgun magazine capacity is determined by the longest shell the shotgun can chamber.
Old December 4, 1999, 02:31 AM   #7
blades67

I'll try them in my M1300 if I can find any. I like the idea. I use high capacity magazines in my pistols so I can shoot more before reloading. If I can double the capacity of my shotgun merely by using these Mini Shells, so much the better.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old December 4, 1999, 04:30 AM   #8
Hal

I tried the little buggers. They are expensive, don't cycle in an 870 and make less sense than the cheap Remington all purpose loads. I paid $7.99 for a box of 10, still have 4 of them. The Rem loads are $2.78 for a box of 20 on sale. Recoil is the same with both. Both use #8 shot. I had planned on using them in the Stoeger for around the house, but after firing them, I am left with a what's the point attitude. I'll keep the 4 unfired ones for a curio. FWIW, they only patterned fair, not much QC in the round. Lots of clumps and lots of holes at 50 feet. The Rem loads in the Stoeger are nice and full. The only thing going for the mini shells is noise. They are about 80% of a light load.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.

http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/cansite/can.html

Old December 4, 1999, 07:50 PM   #9
P-35

I believe that Cole has it in stock, checl their website. www.cole-distributing.com. Let us know how they work. An interesting concept......
Old December 5, 1999, 04:41 PM   #10
10/22guy

In regards to the mini shotshells:
I Have used them for 6 months, although they say they won't work in an automatic I found they functioned flawlessy In my Law 12, Striker 12, and S.P.A.S. 12. They also worked well in my 500 Rem.
In regards to the price. I think the price on them is extremely fair. I got a complete brick of 500 for $99.95. whats so bad about that?
The only thing i was semi-disappointed in was the amount the .9 oz slug was blown off by he wind.
All in all i think they are pretty good shotshells
Old December 5, 1999, 11:49 PM   #11
Cat

Interesting.
Does anyone know what the loading in ounces and velocity are on these shells? What other size/weight of shot are available?

Neil Casper
Old December 9, 1999, 04:10 AM   #12
blades67

The Mini-Shot Shells are available in 12ga loadings of number 7 1/2 shot, .9 oz. lead Mini-Slugs and 00 Buck Shot. Mind you, I am relying on my memory (known to suffer from fade and/or farts on occasion) , however I believe the number 7 1/2 shot is a 5/8oz load at approx. 1100fps. About the same as a 28ga load I think. The Mini-Slug is .9oz at approx. 1265fps and the 00 Buck has 6 pellets, rather than the usual 9. I'm not sure what Aguila says they clocked them at. YMMV.
I haven't had a chance to try to locate any in the last few weeks, however, when I do I will relate my experience here.

------------------

~Blades~
Old December 13, 1999, 03:54 AM   #13
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like a good option for a defensive ammo selection - especially if you load them up in a hunting or un modified shotgun that can only hold 4 rounds otherwise.
I can see it has a use. But I dont see this for everyone.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Old December 15, 1999, 04:46 AM   #14
JA

I have a Chinese Ithaca 37 copy that holds 8 mini shells as opposed to the 5-2 3/4" shells. It is 100% reliable with them. That is 50% increse in capasity over using 2 3/4" shells without the cost of a extended magazine.
Old December 16, 1999, 05:25 AM   #15
point308

Minishells are mentioned in Jan 2000 Guns & Ammo.
1 1/2 inch shells in 7 1/2 shot, slug and buck. They won't cycle in autos, but the company will soon be bringing in a European-made scaled-down pump gun which should be of great interest to law enforcement agencies as the new minishells will nearly double the capacity of a tube magazine.

Slug weight=386 grains, velocity=1,250 from 20 inch barrel.
For details contact Centurion Ordnance Co., 11614 Rainbow Ridge, Helotes, TX 78023.

point308.
Old December 19, 1999, 03:07 AM   #16
DOCSpanky

I have used them in a Mossberg 500 without problems, and te darndest thing is that I can squeeze 11+1 into the gun and it functions totally flawlessly. And were talking about shotguns in HD situations, since statistically they are fired from inside 20 feet, who cares about pattern. They are lose, with multiple flyers noted on the pattern board. I cured this by swithching from the IMP. CYL. choke I used with 2 3/4" to a modified choke and I get approximately the same pattern! Neat concept, kinda expensive but if a confrontation lasted long enough it would be nice to have 11 instead of 6!

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal