The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 9, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
TheNatureBoy

Savage Model 12 .22-250

I just picked it up for my 14 year daughter yesterday. She wants to use it to target shoot. It has a black synthetic stock and a black 26" target/varmit barrel. It doesn't have a accu trigger. Appears to be a bone stock Model 12. Anyone own/owned one? Happy with it/hate it? I've youtubed and googled but the info I find is related to the BVSS and other Model 12s. Anything you can tell me about it will help
Old February 9, 2013, 08:05 AM   #2
sc928porsche

Don't own one in Savage, but you've picked about the best cartridge for her. Superior to the 223. I don't see why she shouldn't enjoy it. High performance cartridge.... flat shooting and low recoil. I doubt that it will be long before you will have to get some reloading dies for it. As for the trigger, you can get a Timmeny for it at a later date if you need to. Savage makes a decent rifle and is well known for its accuracy out of the box.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:33 AM   #3
FALPhil

She is going to love it.

Go ahead and get a barrel nut wrench and and action wrench now. If she ever decides she wants to hunt big game, you cans swap the 22-250 barrel out for a 260 Rem or a 7mm-08. She can transfer all of her shooting technique to a big game cartridge using the same rifle. Several barrel companies make drop-in barrels for the Savage.
Old February 9, 2013, 09:52 AM   #4
the jigger

22-250?

The Savage 12fv in 22-250 is one of my best shooting rifles. Your daughter will love the way it shoots. On our annual Prairie dog trip this year my wife killed her first PD with the 12fv. If you reload try 60gr V-Max and a dose of RL15!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!
Old February 9, 2013, 12:09 PM   #5
TheNatureBoy

I appreciate the replies I purchased the rifle from a friend mine for $450. Included was a set of Lee dies, a new bag of Winchester brass, 40 loaded rounds, and a box of Hornady 55 grain vmax bullets (there were 40 in the box), and one of those $25 plastic gun cases that are sold at Bass Pro Shop. I'm going to put a recently purchased Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x40 scope on it. We're hoping to get the range this coming Saturday.