The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 10, 2011, 03:09 PM   #26
sdw1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburch
I've found that folks bothered by the noise on a range can benefit a lot by doubling up hearing protection. When you go back to the range to shoot again, put in a pair of ear plugs, and then put a pair of the muffs over them.

Also I completely agree with the idea of getting a 22 as a first gun. Recoil is light, ammo is cheap, they are quieter for the most part. It's a great platform to learn the basics on, and for the most part you can pic up good guns for a few hundred bucks.

I also suggest looking into the NRA Basic Pistol class. Around me they normally run about $80 and they go a long way to teaching you the basics of shooting a pistol.
Thank you for the welcome and the helpful information.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:29 PM   #27
powderball

Guns can be your best friend...

Hi,

Fear sets in from the unknown. You need to be able to take control of a situation, if at all possible. Get some training. You will lose your fear once you gain knowledge. Guns are tools to be used, just like any other tool. It can save your life!
Old March 10, 2011, 03:44 PM   #28
Skans

Quote:
Now don't laugh at me if I don't get this exactly right A Ruger 44 Magnum Redhawk Alaskan.
That's a very nice gun! I really hope your friend appreciates this. Like others have said - not one that you want to take to the range to learn to shoot the 1st time. That gun is a handful - but a really nice handful for sure.

Well, this has turned out to be an interesting thread - keep us posted after you give your friend that Ruger Alaskan.
Old March 10, 2011, 06:15 PM   #29
glockcompact

Yea, that is a sweet gun. You know, I got to thinkin' maybe we could be friends too . After all you can never have too many friends right?
Old March 10, 2011, 06:46 PM   #30
Kinta

Hi

Welcome from one lady to another,
I just joined a little while ago myself. I am not quite are you are (I was not scared) but am still learning a lot. As you have already been pointed to the Cornered Cat I will not go there. I will however till you that I have "The Cornered Cat" book a friend got me for me a few months back. It is FANTASTIC! I love the website but I would really recommend getting the book. I liked that when info was given I could go through and highlight things I really wanted to remember or look up more. It was so good that I reread it after just finishing it. Good luck.

~Kinta~
Old March 10, 2011, 10:36 PM   #31
sdw1961

Thank you Kinta. You are the second Lady I've met here. That's encouraging! I love the Cornered Cat and am enjoying this forum. I've absorbed a lot over the past few days. Thanks for the advice about the book. A book of my own to reference would be handy!!
Old March 11, 2011, 06:47 PM   #32
kotaNsid

Welcome to another female! I haven't been a member long myself. I grew up around guns and being from the country I thought it was odd that so few people where I live now don't own guns. I am trying to figure people out though. I am taking my CCW class tomorrow. The class is definitely a good idea. Do a lot of research and make sure that owning and carrying a gun is something you want to do. There is a lot of great info. here. Good luck with whatever decision you come to.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:15 AM   #33
sdw1961

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice. My sincere apologies for posting this thread in this particular forum.
In my eagerness to learn about guns I overlooked the forum where I was suppose to introduce myself in theGeneral Discussions Forum.
Please excuse me and again thank you for all the replies.
Old March 12, 2011, 09:29 AM   #34
Seaman

Welcome aboard sdw1961 !!!

"A Ruger 44 Magnum Redhawk Alaskan." [sdw1961]

Reminds me of a story my wife told me about her first encounter with handguns. Her best male friend and his wife took her shooting one day. Both she and the best friend's wife (to this day) dislike firearms. The man gave her instructions, then handed her a Smith & Wesson Model 29, 44 Magnum revolver. That was the last time she fired a gun.

She told me the experience was a mix of 'absolute fear and boredom. '

My advice to you: Join a private gunclub, its not that expensive, you will meet a lot of good people, and learn a lot about firearms and just about every topic that is discussed in these forums.

Handguns: Choose a small caliber, like a 22LR Smith & Wesson revovler, they hold their value well should you later decide to sell it.

Best of luck to you...guns are better than husbands, you can always trade them in for a new one, anytime.