The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2010, 10:57 AM   #26
shakes

Nevmavrick
The rifle i am using is a fn pbr bolt. All the primers were with wlr primers, same lot number. All the cases were winchester, from the same bag once fired, full length resized, and trimmed. I am measuring my powder with rcbs charge master, the automated one. I recalibrate it before i start loading allways. Everything was at room temp.

I was really just checking out what i could do with the 150s again. I am not going to go above where I ended, as i noticed accuracy is usually under max anyways. Why burn out a barrel faster? I am probably going to go back up to the 168 hpbt after i use all these(or before) i was getting great results with them. 168 i was getting .5moa at 100 yards. little over 2" at 320 yards but i am way out of practice. I was flinching the other day when i was doing these, not to proud to say. Cant wait till summer up here in the northwoods...
Old February 16, 2010, 02:34 PM   #27
Nevmavrick

Obviously, good technique by someone that has a good handle on what he's doing, and why.
You say you're going back to the 168's you were using.That kind of accuracy is real hard to match.(I understand about being "not quite up to snuff" on some days)
If the accuracy is acceptable with those WW748 loads, they SHOULD be very good at the longer ranges, with your small variations in velocity. 748's main claim to fame is it's ease of measuring. It pours like water! The WLR is essentially a magnum primer, and the powder/primer combo was made together.
My thought is that your rifle doesn't think that the maximum is at the same level as the others tested.
Is this a hunting rifle? It SURE sounds like a keeper, if it is.
I'd like to shoot with you some time. I enjoy being around people that know what they're doing, so few do.
Have fun,
Gene
Old February 17, 2010, 05:11 PM   #28
okie2

In my Savage 110 26" stainless 308 I shoot 168 hornady's that puts 10 shots in 5/8 inch hole at 100 yrds.
And not one person here has mentioned IMR3031 is what I use 39.5 grains.
If any one of you will try this load and can tell me it is no good then you have something wrong with your rifle. It is a mild load in the 2550 fps range and has hardly no recoil.
IMR 4895 40.0 grains will almost mach it.
Old February 20, 2010, 11:25 AM   #29
shakes

Okie I have some 3031 from when I was loading .204 I was getting equivalent groups or damn close with win 748. I kinda want to stay with slower powder. I was told (and it makes sence to me) to try and fill the case so there is hardly any air. I'm not doubting you load, and yours would be more economical. Just what I am tuned to ATM. Happy hunting and shooting you all Thais for all the replies