The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
kaz8772

155gr SWC in .40 S&W

I have been using mainly jacketed bullets for all my reloading, but came across a deal for at a gun show for 1000 bullets that are 155 grain SWC for .40/10mm - .401 dia. I have been combing my books and can't find a load for them.

I have an XD40 w/ 4" barrel that I planned on using these as plinking ammo for.

I use Vihtavuori 340, Unigue, and Red Dot pistol powders mainly for .40 and .357.

Does anyone have a good starting point for these bullets with these powders, or would it be best with a different powder?

Thanks.

Last edited by kaz8772; April 1, 2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old March 30, 2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Grandpa Shooter

I have reloaded with lead 155g LSWC for years. I use Accurate powders #2 and #5 mostly.

My book shows for #2 Start at 5.7 up to 6.3 and for
#5 Start at 6.8 up to 7.5

It works well in my Kahr 40 with a 3" barrel.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:56 AM   #3
scsov509

I shoot the 155 grain through a 4" over 6 grains of Unique or 6.5 Grains of Power Pistol with pretty good results. My buddy shoots the same bullet through his 4" XD over 5.7 grains Unique, and it groups pretty well. These loads shoot right at or under 1,000 fps which is where I try to keep lead in order to reduce leading.

Quote:
Does anyone have a good starting point for these bullets with these powders, or would it be best with a different powder?
I've always been a big Unique fan for all my pistol calibers, but especially love it in 40. However, after many exhortations from others I finally gave Power Pistol a try a while back and am now sold on it as one of my favorites. It meters really well, produces excellent velocity in the 40, and it is also a farily versatile powder to use. If you want try something new then I'd check out Power Pistol.
Old March 31, 2008, 04:33 AM   #4
JDG

Will a .410 Dia bullet work in a 40 S&W ?
Old March 31, 2008, 05:59 AM   #5
jswaff

Hopefully it's a .401.
Old March 31, 2008, 08:25 AM   #6
freakshow10mm

.410 is for 41 Magnum. .401 is for 40S&W/10mm.
Old March 31, 2008, 11:29 AM   #7
scsov509

I'm assuming this is a typo since 1) the op states that this individual has already been loading jacketed bullets in this caliber, and 2) I don't think I've ever seen 41 mag bullets smaller than 170 grains.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:19 PM   #8
freakshow10mm

I'm going to be offering 155gr SWC-HP bullets for the .41 Magnum (.410" diameter) in a few weeks.

Here is a prototype.

Old March 31, 2008, 02:54 PM   #9
dakotashooter2

Is that a custom mold fo rthe .41?
Old March 31, 2008, 05:45 PM   #10
crowbeaner

Try 7.5 of SR4756 with your 155 grainer in the .40. That's max, so work up.
Old March 31, 2008, 10:42 PM   #11
freakshow10mm

Quote:
Is that a custom mold fo rthe .41?
No. It's a bullet cast from a 10mm mold and ran in a swaging die to bump it up to .410". The hollow point is added during swaging.
Old April 1, 2008, 12:03 AM   #12
cheezhed

better check the bullets to be sure that they are the right diameter
Old April 1, 2008, 01:36 AM   #13
kaz8772

Sorry was a typo.

They are .401" dia, 155g SWC.
Old April 7, 2008, 02:43 AM   #14
totalloser

I occasionally run into a guy at the range who rolls for his xd, and he had problems with the shoulder hitting the top of the barrel before chambering causing vexing jams. He referred to them as "truncated cone" and some (rarely) tc's do have that shoulder, but either way, he had enough trouble with them they are sitting on the bench. Second hand, now third hand info, but maybe worth a second thought.
Old April 7, 2008, 08:50 AM   #15
freakshow10mm

With SWCs, load so the shoulder is flush with the case mouth.
Old April 9, 2008, 02:00 AM   #16
MASTERCAST.COM

freakshow10mm

Sir,

I am curious...what should we do with SWC bullets that have a crimp groove below the shoulder? Should we crimp them in the provided crimp groove or crimp them with the shourlder flush with the case mouth as you recommend? Are you aware that seating a bullet deaper in the case causes a real rise in pressure? Tests have been done that indicate .010" inches deaper seating of the bullet can cause an increase of 20,000 P.S.I. in pressure!

You present as an EXPERT in most of the presentations I have seen here. I would suggest that you spend some time, lots of time, as I have done for the past 40 + years reading, attending school with classes regarding ballistics, reloading, bullet casting, metallurgy, etc., before you do so. Some of the comments that I have seen posted by you are totally wrong. I do not consider myself an EXPERT..I really do not like the term...I am merely consider myself as knowlegdeable, with years of experience.

I wish to thank you for sending me the "Lars red lube"..I have used it before as "White Label Lube"...big problem. It is excellent lube for the person that casts and lubes bullets at home. The problem is with shipping...that lube begins to flow at 85-90 degrees....ship that in 90 degree heat enclosed in a truck, with a cargo box that hits 130 degrees plus in the summer...the lube is in the botom of the box when received by the customer, and the bullets are a greasy mess. I will be sending that lube back to you shortly.

I also saw the photo of the HP bullet that you plan to offer shortly. The shoulder of that bullet is rounded, wrinkled, not sharp, as it should be.
Old April 9, 2008, 02:06 AM   #17
MASTERCAST.COM

freakshow10mm

Sir,

I am curious...what should we do with SWC bullets that have a crimp groove below the shoulder? Should we crimp them in the provided crimp groove or crimp them with the shourlder flush with the case mouth as you recommend? Are you aware that seating a bullet deaper in the case causes a real rise in pressure? Tests have been done that indicate .010" inches deaper seating of the bullet can cause an increase of 20,000 P.S.I. in pressure!

You present as an EXPERT in most of the presentations I have seen here. I would suggest that you spend some time, lots of time, as I have done for the past 40 + years reading, attending school with classes regarding ballistics, reloading, bullet casting, metallurgy, etc., before you do so. Some of the comments that I have seen posted by you are totally wrong. I do not consider myself an EXPERT..I really do not like the term...I am merely consider myself as knowlegdeable, with years of experience.

I wish to thank you for sending me the "Lars red lube"..I have used it before as "White Label Lube"...big problem. It is excellent lube for the person that casts and lubes bullets at home. The problem is with shipping...that lube begins to flow at 85-90 degrees....ship that in 90 degree heat enclosed in a truck, with a cargo box that hits 130 degrees plus in the summer...the lube is in the botom of the box when received by the customer, and the bullets are a greasy mess. I will be sending that lube back to you shortly.

I also saw the photo of the HP bullet that you plan to offer shortly. The shoulder of that bullet is rounded, wrinkled, not sharp, as it should be.

Contact me me at [email protected] and I will tell you how to make the shoulder sharp, the base of the bullet square, flat, no lumps or bumps on the base, etc..
Old April 9, 2008, 07:34 AM   #18
freakshow10mm

I do not claim to be an expert nor try to tow that line. I have not been handloading or casting for too long. I try to glean info from those than have been there and done that.

My comments are based upon my experience. I don't shoot .40 but shooot 10mm. I was shooting some light weight SWCs and got she same type of jams the other poster's range dude did. I was told to lengthen the OAL, no crimp, more crimp, etc. Nothing worked. I tried the only thing I didn't try and that was go shorter. When the shoulder was flush with the casemouth, it ran perfectly; set to 1.25" there was a bit of shoulder sticking out and sometimes it would jam. Seating flush never a jam yet. I of course dropped the charge down.

Hmm, I haven't had issues with the lube running in the summer. I know many casters that live in the deep South that use it year round and never mentioned problems in the summer. It certainly seems possible, as I run heat to 93° when sizing on my Star. They've never fessed up about it. I started my casting in Oct 07, so I haven't come into summer shipping issues yet. I might have to find and alternative for the summer orders.

The HP bullet in the pic I didn' cast. It was from a lot of bullets I got in a trade. I think they are D&J bullets (now defunct, I think). The 150gr SWC I cast for my ammunition is from a Lee mold and has a little sharper shoulder than the one pictured.

I'll send you an email in a bit. I have to take my son to the sitter's so I can work on orders.

Adam
Old April 10, 2008, 08:26 PM   #19
totalloser

Thank you! I will pass that along to my acquaintance. I don't know if he tried seating further, but I am sure he has the sense to use a fast enough burning powder to avoid a compressed load (smaller charge weight) and to work up the load as any book will tell you. If it can be made to work, I am sure he will be happy.
Old April 11, 2008, 12:03 AM   #20
freakshow10mm

Fast powders tend to lead more, that's my experience. The slower the powder the less leading. Seems like the faster powders etch the bullet base a bit. If the lube is good enough it won't adhere to the bore. If it isn't good, it will stick to the bore and lead.