The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2001, 08:01 AM   #26
K80Geoff

Choke Tubes

You might want to check out Briley's website for choke tubes. I use Brileys' in my Remingtons (Originally bought for my Peerless O/U, the less said about that gun the better) and they work better than Remingtons chokes.

They are extended chokes that stick out from the end of the barrel which makes them easier to change (good in Sporting clays). I found they threw more consistent patterns. They even make them in pretty colors if you so desire

www.briley.com/

I use them in my Remingtons and Krieghoffs and sware by them. They are competitive in price with Remington chokes.

Geoff Ross

PS Rats their website is not working Here is their phone number, get them to send you a catalog 1 800 331 5718. I HATE when this happens
Old August 17, 2001, 11:37 PM   #27
stickman

about a year ago my mother in law gave me a beautiful
old A 5. that led to shotgun sports and tomorrow morn
i will be shooting my new 425 at the local sporting clays
match. great info on this thread. i am sure i will reference
it for quite a while. thanks dave and geoff!
Old August 18, 2001, 06:05 AM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats, Stickman, the closest thing to that my MIL ever gave me was boots(G). Enjoy the 425, too....
Old August 18, 2001, 08:33 AM   #29
S.F.S

Hey Dave,
You mentioned earlier about Albrights in Eastern Md and them having a good gun smith. Have you personally ever had work done by them? If so does he work on rifles at all do you know? Its also a Remington.
Old August 19, 2001, 07:05 AM   #30
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Greg Wolfe did the bbl bobbing, cone and choke work on Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts 870.

He also did work on another 870 cone, and a trigger job on a 700 Remington for me.

If I get the cone and choke done on my TB, he'll do it...
Old August 19, 2001, 08:08 AM   #31
S.F.S

Hey Dave
Thank you for telling me about him..
I called over there yesterday he wasn't in. I was speaking with the Mr. Albright I understand he was written up in several rifle magazines and was rated one of the 10 best smiths in the country.
I was told he is also a master smith and if it shoots (or suppose to and doesn't) he can repair it.
It seems like a bunch of nice folks there. Im hoping to take a ride over there next week. How is there gun selection over there on used and new guns?

Is he pretty easy to talk to?

I know some of them can have a really bad attitude.
How are his rates? Also how about his turn around time whan you had stuff done by him? Cause I have a 700BDL I want a trigger job done too.
And most of all why do you call your 870 Frankinstein?

Scott
Old August 19, 2001, 11:25 AM   #32
JT19

O/U

I prefer how the O/U swings and its sight picture. Also what
AAshooter said:
My two cents is to consider a name brand over and under.
You also can load the two barrels with differing loads and
choke . . . great for sporting clays.
Old August 19, 2001, 02:39 PM   #33
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most of the stock in Albright's, SFS, is out of my reach. The rates for work are commensurate with the quality. IOW, a bit high.

Trouble is, this time of year EVERYONE wants to get their stuff done. March is a good month for gunsmithing. The guns that broke last season are fixed and the people that procrastinate are doing just that.

Greg's as nice a guy as you ever saw with a 60-80 hour work week. IOW, get in, get your message across, and get out of the area PDQ. They'll talk to you in the shop downstairs, tho.

Last time I was in there were doubles by Fox, Parker, Baker, and Lefevre. And some good Spanish guns.

As to Frankenstein's monicker, what would you call a shotgun made from mismatched finishes, with parts from at least 4 870s, that turned into something different from the specialized Turkey gun it was supposed to be? Right now,Frank has taken birds from Woodcock to Snows, but no gobblers.

When Son gets back from visiting the Grands late next week, I'll ask him to take a digital pic and maybe I'll post it.