The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2011, 05:41 AM   #1
Ricky Bobby

Cleaning rods

I think I'm finally going to spend a little money on some good cleaning equipment! I want a benchtop gun vise/holder & also some rods in 20, 22, & 30 cal. I'm thinking maybe Pro Shot or Bore Tech rods. What brand/model cleaning rods are you guys using? Also, what gun vise/holder are you guys using on top of your bench? While we're at it, I will even take suggestions on the types of cleaners you are using! I was thinking of trying some Bore Tech CU + 2 cleaner. Where will I get my best buy for these products? Thanks.
Old October 30, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Ricky Bobby

I guess nobody is cleaning their guns these days!
Old October 31, 2011, 01:11 AM   #3
Fargazer

I use the one piece carbon fiber cleaning rods; that way I don't have to worry about them scratching my bores. The particular rods I use are Tipton .22 and 9mm pistol rods, and Gunslick .22 and 9mm rifle rods. Dewey also makes good cleaning rods.

For solvents, you will find all sorts of recommendations. I tend to keep on hand Hoppe's #9, CLP, Eezox, and Miilitech.

For "best buy", I'd shop Grafs, Midway USA, or Brownells. Also, all three of them will give C&R FFL holders dealer discounts.
Old October 31, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

For precision rifles I use a one piece rods. For hunting guns or in the field, I use a multi-piece brass rod made by Outers. I don't know if they still make them. The bore snakes are good for the field, but I only have one or two.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
arizona98tj

I use one piece rods from Tipton and Dewey and find they both work very well. One is coated while the other is carbon fiber.
Old November 6, 2011, 07:10 AM   #6
old roper

I like the Bore Tech rods they have a web site and you can buy direct for all their products. I don't know anyone giving a break there $45 plus shipping and if it's any help I've had mine almost 20yrs.
Old November 6, 2011, 09:22 AM   #7
Nathan

Dewey IMHO
Old November 6, 2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Sodbuster

My only experience has been with Dewey, but it's been a good experience.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old November 6, 2011, 11:46 AM   #9
PawPaw

Dewey or Tipton. Take your pick. I like the Dewey rods with the female end. It seems all my brushes, jags, etc have male ends, so getting a cleaning rod that fit them made perfect sense to me. YMMV.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 6, 2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Fusion

I use a Tipton rod and I can't say enough good about it. I love this thing.

I previously had a Dewey, and I wasn't a fan. The coating wore off quickly, and it ended up bending. It was my fault it bent as I was trying to use too small of a rod cleaning a muzzle loader, but at the same time my Tipton has taken even more abuse and hasn't broken, and it can't be bent and stay bent. It's not physically possible. The Tipton also doesn't have a coating to wear off, and I also think the handle is much nicer, but that's just a personal preference.

IMO the Tipton blows away the Dewey, and it's what I'd go with.
Old November 6, 2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Skadoosh

Quote:
For precision rifles I use a one piece rods. For hunting guns or in the field, I use a multi-piece brass rod
Same here.

I used to have a few boresnakes. I will never use a them again. I had used a properly sized boresnake multiple times...then one day it got stuck and both ends ripped off. It was a nightmare getting it out. Not sure if the material had deteriorated or what, but I tossed them all after that experience.
Old November 8, 2011, 12:34 AM   #12
toolguy2006

I have like both the Dewey rods that I have for cleaning at home. I bought an OTIS kit for field use, and while it works very well, I don't think I would want to use it all the time. As far as jags, I have found that I like the "Kleen Bore" speer tip models, only because they actually have a barb for retaining the patch, unlike others I have found. Lastly, I have been very happy with Gunzilla CLP, even though it was a little hard to find in my area. It cleans like Hoppes No9, but has almost no smell. I still use oil afterwards, because I don't buy the whole "all in one" product thing.
Old November 9, 2011, 10:45 PM   #13
jdillon

I like the Dewey 1piece SS rods used with bore guides and nylon brushes. Have some coated ones but like the SS ones.
Old November 10, 2011, 12:04 PM   #14
50 shooter

I use a Bore Tech one piece rod for my 50 and it's one of the best rods that I've used. I also use Bore Tech's Eliminator brand solvent, has to be one of the best on the market. Makes barrel cleaning a breeze as it really lifts copper out of the barrel fast.

As a rule I don't buy directly from Bore Tech, look at Mid South Shooters Supply. BT has some wierd billing/shipping charges, that's why I don't buy it directly. You can usually find it cheaper from a supplier anyway and pay one flat rate for S&H.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 10, 2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Doyle

I sure do wish cleaning rod manufacturers and tip manufacturers would all get together and determine an industry standard for thread size. It would sure make life easier for those of us that buy pieces as the need arises (and wind up with different brands).
Old November 10, 2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Don P

1 piece Tipton for the rifles and aluminum and brass for the hand guns
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:25 PM   #17
frumious

I have a 1-piece brass rod for rifles and shorter brass rods for handguns. I like the brass rods because they can't mess up barrel crowns, etc.

-cls
Old November 11, 2011, 06:08 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

Hoppes Viper BoreSnake...

I do not own any rifles or shotguns at this time but I'd add buying the new Hoppes Viper type bore snake.
It could help sweep through the firearm barrel & speed up cleaning. It's compact & great for field/hunting uses too.
www.natchezss.com www.Brownells.com www.cheaperthandirt.com
Old November 11, 2011, 07:39 PM   #19
chuckles

8-32 thread size is pretty much the standard for most common size rods in the .22-45 caliber range. Almost all rod tips, brushes and mops are standard in 8-32 threads. .20 cal and shotguns are different. I like Pro-Shot one piece stainless rods. Very good quality with really nice handles. Midway has almost everything you may need in cleaning.

Last edited by chuckles; November 12, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old November 12, 2011, 02:47 AM   #20
Edward429451

I use one pc Dewey rods mostly. I think I have one Tipton. I found out that all jags are not cut the same and barrels differ also so I match jags to the gun. A proper fitting jag will almost eliminate the need for brushes.