The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 20, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
secret_agent_man

Once The Hunted, Now Hunters

"When the dog goes on point, lay down the gavel and be ready to OPEN FIRE, BABY DOLL!"

http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/144707/

Among their ranks is SCOTUS Justice Elena Kagan in her newfound pastime, hunting with guns. I'm LMAO recalling how Kagan stonewalled with generic answers during her confirmation hearing. Surely Obama must feel completely blindsided by this apparent closet gun enthusiast who now grabs a thunderstick and kills living things with it, perhaps for her own consumption. Things must be looking up to Alan Gura and the Second Amendment Foundation as well as the NRA at this juncture. A gun nut on the Big Bench. This could be good.
Old October 20, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
RamItOne

How's the old saying go "don't knock it till you try it"

Def good to know shell have more info about firearms if any 2A case may come her way.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
357 Python

There is another old saying,"A leopard can't change its spots". I'll wait to see how she "rules" in the future.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:47 AM   #4
C0untZer0

It's a ruse

When she makes rulings that void the applicability of the Second Amendment, she can claim that her decisions were unbiased because she likes hunting, but - unfortunately despite how much she likes guns and hunting, the Second Amendment doesn't mean what the NRA thinks it means.

Remember - just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
jimbob86

So she went hunting with Justice Scalia ........ the Second Amendment is not about hunting.

"Once the Hunted...."

Indeed. I defer to Oleg Volk on this:

"If the head of every Jewish household in Europe had had a Mauser rifle, 20 rounds of ammunition, and the will to use it, Adolph Hitler would have been but a minor footnote in history."

That is what the Second Amendment is about.
Old October 21, 2011, 12:59 PM   #6
Webleymkv

I'll wait to see how she rules on a 2A case that makes it to SCOTUS before I draw any conclusions about how pro or anti-gun she is. Just because someone hunts does not necessarily mean that the same person thinks I should be able to own a handgun or AR-15.
Old October 21, 2011, 01:34 PM   #7
secret_agent_man

Quote:
That is what the Second Amendment is about.
Elana Kagan can stand her ground now and say, "Never Again."

I suspect the Justice has an altered view of Second Amendmet rights at this point in time. Now if only Kagan could pursued Ginsburg to accompany her and Scalia on the next hunt.
Old October 21, 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
MLeake

Seems to me Bill Ruger was an avid hunter...

I'd wait until a ruling before making any judgements about Ms Kagan. She might be on our side, or she might see no reason for a law-abiding person to ever need more than ten rounds.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Uncle Buck

I agree will MLeake on this. Lets see how she rules.

It is a good thing though, at least she has some experience (hopefully) from her hunting trips. But hunting with a rifle or shotgun is different from hunting with a 30 round clip of 9mm ammo.
Old October 22, 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
blume357

Well, as far as I can tell this is not a bad thing...
Old October 22, 2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

It certainly isn't a "bad" thing. It remains to be seen whether or not it may presage a good thing. As has been commented, the 2nd Amendment is not about hunting.

Now, if she'd get a CCW and actually use her pistola to fend off a carjacker, THEN maybe we'd be onto something.
Old October 22, 2011, 07:51 PM   #12
silentargus

Not really... unless the change in attitude comes through in her rulings, she'll only be just another VIP who makes exceptions to their views for their own hide. How many anti-gun politicians and celebrities have either carry permits or armed protective details?

All this shows is that there's potential for meaningful change. It's up to the lady herself to decide whether or not to make it.