The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 14, 2014, 11:25 PM   #26
tahunua001

well don't I feel like a moron, I read that at least 3 times and I thought you were saying there was NO more modern ammo for 9mm...

guess I should go back and repeat the 1st grade.
Old June 14, 2014, 11:47 PM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahunua001
well don't I feel like a moron, I read that at least 3 times and I thought you were saying there was NO more modern ammo for 9mm...

guess I should go back and repeat the 1st grade.
Nobody is calling you a moron, you just misread what he wrote. What he wrote was pretty clear, you even directly quoted him saying that there was more modern ammo in 9mm. Here's what you quoted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim
there's more modern ammo in 9mm
That seems pretty clear to me; I don't see the word "no" there. And it's fine that you misread it, I misread stuff all the time; but there's no reason to take it personally when he pointed that out.
Old June 15, 2014, 12:25 PM   #28
tahunua001

I know, that was just my roundabout way of apologizing.
Old June 15, 2014, 12:52 PM   #29
KyJim

Not a problem. Sometimes I misstate what I meant to say and sometimes misread what others have said. It happens.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:20 PM   #30
longspurr

My wifes friend (75 YO woman) that I was trying to teach firearms enough for home defense was Very jumpy as guns were going off around her on the indoor range. When she first fired my 38 revolver I thought she was going to drop it because of the surprise of recoil.

She hung in there and eventually fired off about ½ box of ammo. That was all she could handle.

So, what gun for here home defense? I'm thinking a pistol caliber carbine. Keltec Sub 2000?

The manual of arms must be VERY simple. I tried her with dry firing a 20g shotgun. TOO long, Too heavy and the pump action was very foreign to her.

Like many she wanted a pistol. But when it came range time - targets at 7 yards would be in danger only if they gave her lots of time to get set and had a coach handy to remind her of what to do. That is how she now has a Ruger 10/22.

I write this because I was searching the forum on reviews for Keltec sub 2000.
Old July 31, 2014, 12:17 AM   #31
barnbwt

There are some people who can't safely use firearms; it's something we too often forget in light of the whole "equalizer" slogan we always champion. Some people really are unable --physically, mentally, emotionally, morally-- to use weapons, guns included, to defend themselves without putting themselves and everyone around them in constant danger up to and during that moment. If a 38 revolver is too much for someone to handle, I fail to see how they could safely use any centerfire. Not my call to make, of course, but let's be real.

Is she effective with the 22LR? That's probably better than any other option, if a 38's noise (I guarantee it is neither the recoil nor platform giving her trouble with that) is too much to bear (well, unless she's down for a silencer ). A person's gotta know their limitations, and a frail elderly woman with no firearms aptitude (and likely a limited ability to acquire it at this point) is going to be pretty severely limited. That is why it is important to acquire shooting skills when one is able, so you aren't starting so far behind when it is hardest to make up the distance (this to the guys with wives who never shoot and rely on hubby to save their bacon)

TCB
Old July 31, 2014, 03:24 PM   #32
Bconaway1869

PCC

I have a couple of PCCs that I have used as both trunk guns and home defense, but IMHO a PCC really only makes sense when coupled with a handgun using the same caliber and magazines.

I have used a S&W 5906TSW coupled with a Marlin 9 mm camp carbine in the past, and more recently transitioned to a Lone Wolf G9 carbine coupled with my Glock 19. The latter of which I find quite handy with 33 round mags and standard 15 round pistol mags having complete interoperability.

These types of interoperable systems reduce what I need to be efficiently prepared, hence reducing complexity of my load-out.

Just my two cents.
Old July 31, 2014, 07:23 PM   #33
Chip Saunders

Being not that good with a pistol, I have a 9mm PCC and I would use it without reservation over a similar pistol.

1. I can hit what I aim at with the carbine, virtually every time

2. with the muzzle brake and the weight of the gun, virtually no recoil or flash, with the pistol you are all over the place. I would much rather have 9 well placed shots that one so - so and and the rest all over the house

3. I have read about 20% more muzzle velocity from the same round via the 16" barrel

4. The invader is much more likely to run when he sees the gun which looks like something from starwars rather than a compact "plastic" pistol he won't even notice at first.

Of course if you are good with a pistol, much of my argument is lessened or moot...its what you are comfortable with that matters.

BTW my first choice is the Rem 870 with 00 buck - extremely destructive at in-home ranges.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:46 PM   #34
chris in va

I tested a couple SD rounds through my CX4 9mm today.

Silvertip (124gr?) 1279fps

Golden Saber 1360fps

My humble LRN range fodder is 1200fps, clocks 1050 from my P01.
Old August 10, 2014, 08:23 AM   #35
hvymax

A PCC is pretty much my universal recommendation for small or elderly shooters. They are easy to handle,low recoil and the blast shouldn't scare a neophyte user. I think a light is mandatory for target ID but that is just me. None in my current HD collection but there are no small, elderly or neophyte shooters in my house currently.
Old August 11, 2014, 07:22 PM   #36
Oysterboy

I had a HiPoint 4095ts carbine in 40sw that I trust to do its job. For the price they are good shooters and you can get 'em in 9mm, 40sw and 45acp.

I traded it in and bout an AR15.