The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 4, 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
headbangerJD

Bought me a Kahr p40 today

This is my first pistol and will be used for cc when I get my permit. I have yet to shoot the little beauty yet.
If anyone has any experience w/ this gun please let me know what you like and don't like about it.
What would be a good holster?
Also, how bad is the recoil on this little 40?
I just ordered a Galco Stow-N-Go Inside the waist holster for the gun as well.
Thanks

Last edited by headbangerJD; June 5, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old June 4, 2009, 07:21 PM   #2
old_ironsights

Kahr Trouble...

I have a list of complaints on the Kahr P40, but mine was one of the first so they may have worked out the multiple kinks.

I had to remove the extractor and remove small filings that kept it from functioning properly.

The feeding angle was the biggest hang-up, but somehow it eluded Kahr. Tweaking the lips of the magazine helped, but then the strength of the magazine spring also played a role.

I did a total Wolff replacement and finally bailed.

I hope you have better luck than I.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
goldduster

Kahr recoil

I recently purchased a CW40 (P40's cheaper cousin) and have nothing but good things to say about it. During 200 round breakin using 100 Win HP and 100 UMC FMJ I had 3 problems when it failed to go entirely into battery. One occurred at about round # 140 and 2 between #175 and #200. I attribute these to the pistol getting very dirty and running out of lubricant (I was shooting fairly fast and it became very warm). I just hit the back of the slide with my palm and it went right into battery.

On two other occasions I fired 100 rounds each time, without one hiccup.

It's accuracy is awesome. I don't fire that often but put over 50% of the rounds in a 2 1/2 inch circle at 25 feet.

Did not notice anything objectionable with the recoil.

I would prefer the P40 as I have been advised that the polygonal barrel is more accurate than the regular barrel which comes with the CW40.

I think you will be very happy with the P40.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Tophe

Congrats on your first pistol purchase. I can't answer any of your questions for lack of experience with the gun, but I do want to get me a kahr one of these days. I love the thin profile for CC.

Sounds like they are usually pretty reliable guns, but some people seem to get bad ones once in a while that need a little tweeking.

Now go shoot the thing and let us know how it goes
Old June 12, 2009, 05:04 PM   #5
thinktwice

I purchased a P-40 a while back (about a year ago) bought it "pre- owned" When I first shot it I had some problems with the slide not locking up after a shot or two. I would have to "tap" it to fully close. I ordered a new guide rod and recoil spring from Kahr. That solved the problem. It has been 100% Unbelievably accurate for such a light small 40 cal. As for carrying you don't even know it there. Enjoy it
Old June 12, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
hdawson228

My Kahr CW9 has been perfect. So concealable and comfortable.
Old June 12, 2009, 05:49 PM   #7
comn-cents

Great choice, I've had three and had one slide stop break and replaced that but all 100% after that.
Old June 12, 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
redrick

I just got a P9 last week. I ran 100 rounds through it and had 1 failure to lock and 1 failure to feed during the first 50 rounds, but none on the second 50 rounds. It is a very nice feeling pistol. For a 9mm it has a sharp recoil, I can only imagine the recoil of the .40.

Tags
kahr , p40 , recoil