The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 2, 2016, 06:10 PM   #1
KMAX

Opinions on Heritage Big Bore 357mag?

I have been thinking about getting a single action 357mag. I considered Ruger New Vaquero, Cimarron Model P or Frontier, and various models of Uberti. Today I looked at a Heritage Big Bore 357 and it was substantially less expensive. I noticed that the finish was not as good as the guns previously mentioned, but I was wondering about the function of the Heritage. Anyone have experience with one of these?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!

Last edited by KMAX; July 2, 2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old July 3, 2016, 06:48 AM   #2
briandg

you will not get the sort of accuracy that you would like to have. When you look at one, wiggle the cylinder around, check fit and tolerance, and you will find that the cheaper ones are looser, and this looseness is what keeps you from achieving top accuracy. If you could dry fire it, you would probably find that the trigger is less than perfect. It may drag and may be scratchy.

There is a reason that the vaquero or uberti cost more. That reason is because they use better tools and materials and better workers, and make a better gun. It's that simple. So why do you want the thing, to shoot at paper plates from thirty feet, or to shoot at 3 inch bullseyes at fifty? Just choose the level of quality that you need, and don't think that saving a couple hundred dollars will be a good idea if you want a top quality gun/
Old July 3, 2016, 11:51 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Last I heard Pietta Makes the big bore single actions for Heritage. I own a Single action built by Pietta of Italy and I absolutely love the thing. It has the transfer bar system so you can load amd carry it with all 6 rounds. It is a well built and finished gun. Traditions / Pietta make some cheaper versions than mine with just a matte black finish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old July 10, 2016, 01:03 PM   #4
pappa

Really pretty gun. Almost like seeing a SAA , only fancier finish of course than many survived with.
Yeh, you hear some strange stuff said about Heritage. One responder said a major disadvantage of the .22s is an unsafe firing pin on the hammer ???
I've had my birdshead grip, silver finish, wood grips, all steel (don't think they make this "deluxe" version still) .22 Heritage over 15 years. No problems ever, much more accurate than Ruger I got rid of. In .22LR I have shot squirrel; .22 WMR less accurate, but still functions perfect.
I am beginning to suspect that Heritage naysayers may never have owned or even ever fired a Heritage.
Wish Heritage made a .44 Spl. ; always wanted one since seeing the Charter Arms .44 about 1965-70 era. Always let ammo cost stop me, so just stayed with my S&W J Frame. Getting to age now I think it's time to enjoy more, save less.
May go with EAA Bounty Hunter.
I bet you really protect the finish on your Pietta. It's beautiful. I have an 1851 Colt Navy BP made by Pietta that I like a lot. Pat
Old July 10, 2016, 01:08 PM   #5
deerslayer303

I do my best to keep her looking good. I do shoot it though, after all its more fun to do that with a pretty gun. When I first got it I was in awe of how good it actually looks. The Pietta built Single actions don't get much attention, but they should.

Last edited by deerslayer303; July 10, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old July 10, 2016, 05:10 PM   #6
KMAX

Deerslayer: Good looking gun. Much like I really want except 357mag and 4 3/4 in. barrel. I think I will hold out for something with the case hardened color finish. The Heritage revolvers I looked at were blue.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 10, 2016, 05:48 PM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Traditions / Pietta make some cheaper versions than mine with just a matte black finish.
Traditions imports, Pietta makes. Uberti makes a matte black finish too.
Old July 10, 2016, 05:54 PM   #8
deerslayer303

^^^true story. And Thanks KMAX. I think the next one I get will be a Uberti in 357/ 38. The one above was my first SAA style, so I HAD to get the HAWG LEG!!

Old July 11, 2016, 08:56 AM   #9
g.willikers

Yep, made by Pietta:
http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_d...cfm?prod_id=36
Nothing wrong there.
I've had a few of their cap and ball versions.
All were just fine and dandy.
Old July 11, 2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Soclosenotnear

For the dollars, I am sure you'd be happy. My only experience is with the little rough rider 22 single actions, but I imagine they are similar. As you stated, the finish is as bad as they come and scratches away very easily.