The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 2, 2016, 01:50 AM   #1
Radny97

CA gun legislation may make revolvers more popular in CA

Sad reading:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...htmlstory.html

If I understand it correctly, with the magazine restrictions on semi-automatic handguns making it impossible to reload without disassembling the gun, revolvers should increase in popularity in CA both for personal use and competition.
Do I have that right?
Old July 2, 2016, 03:08 AM   #2
mellow_c

"Brown approved bills that would ban the sale of semiautomatic rifles equipped with bullet buttons allowing the ammunition magazines to be easily detached and replaced."

"Bills the governor signed will:

— Require an ID and background check to purchase ammunition and create a new state database of ammunition owners

— Ban possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.

— Restrict the loaning of guns without background checks to close family members."

Well folks... who's next?

Old July 2, 2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Radny97

I'm guessing ammo stores will pop up around the borders.

So is the magazine removal restriction just for semi-auto rifles? If you can still drop a ten round magazine from a pistol with a magazine release button it probably won't have that large of an effect on revolver purchases. But another video i watched said that the ability to remove a magazine only by disassembling the gun applied to all semi-auto firearms. Guess I'll have to go read the actual bill. Reporters never get the facts completely right.

For example, I was listening to NPR's market place yesterday and one of their 'experts' full on said that you can now 3D print an ar15. Really? I wish that were true but it's not.
Old July 2, 2016, 08:23 AM   #4
testuser79

My understanding: semi-automatic rifles with detachable mags are illegal. Bullet buttons were a way to get around the law by using a "tool" to remove the mag. The current legislation gets rid of bullet buttons.

Handguns can still use detachable mags, just limited to 10 rounds. This may make 9mm somewhat less popular and increase popularity of rounds like the .40, 10mm and .45 ACP. You may see more 8-shot moonclip .357 magnums, but I'd think semi-auto handguns would still dominate.

This could mean that semi-auto rifles fed with stripper clips will be more popular. Think SKS type rifles or modifications of existing designs to a similar system. Should be very easy to modify something like an FAL for the change, not sure how you'd do it on an AR.

Question: If the AR-15 is a weapon of war and cops are the only ones that can own AR-15s, then does that make them a military?

Last edited by testuser79; July 2, 2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 2, 2016, 09:27 AM   #5
Radny97

Did a little more research, and think you're right. Just semi-auto rifle mags are affected. And you can still get an ar15 with a simple mag release you just have to go through additional background checks and register it as an 'assault weapon'.
Looks like they have completely banned ar-styled pistols if I'm reading this right.
But pistols with the magazine encased within the grip are the same. I guess this won't have as big an effect on revolvers as I initially thought.
The background check and registry for ammo purchases is going to increase reloading I would guess.
Old July 2, 2016, 10:00 AM   #6
SaxonPig

10 round limit on handgun mags has been CA law for many years. Don't know what this new law is or does.

Not much left except total confiscation.

BCs for ammo purchase? How much will that cost? Using NICS? How much will that tie up an already overload system?

What a load of poop. This is why I fled CA in 1992. I saw this coming.
Old July 2, 2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Shenna9220

microstamping has already killed the semi-auto handgun market in CA. So yes, revolvers are very popular. Guess they will go after them next.
Old July 2, 2016, 10:39 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Bullet buttons were a way to get around the law by using a "tool" to remove the mag.
no, no, NO!!!!!!!

"Bullet buttons" exist, specifically, to COMPLY with the law!!! And only to comply with the law! Stop using the anti's biased phrasing!

The "Bullet button" is a magazine catch, made so it cannot be operated in the normal way (by hand alone), but can be operated using a tool (such as the pointed nose of a rifle bullet, hence the nickname).

Why is it that when the gun control people aren't smart enough to write a law that actually does what they say they want, WE get "blamed" for OBEYING it AS WRITTEN????

They are claiming the new law, which does prohibit the "bullet button" "fixes" a "loophole". From their point of view, I suppose it does, but that loophole was created by their people who wrote the law in the first place!

Yes, their stated aim was to prohibit rifles with detachable magazines. They thought they were oh, so clever, they wrote a law with pretty precise technical definitions of what was, and was not allowed. The fact that what they wrote, and passed into law was not technically correct enough to grant them their desire was in no way gunowner's fault. IT was their own hubris.

NOW, they have passed a law closing the "loophole" as they see it. No doubt if there is some UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCE of the new law, they will blame gun owners for trying to "get around" their law, yet again.

Compliance with the law, as written and interpreted by the courts is NOT "getting around the law". Not as I see it, anyway.

Quote:
I'm guessing ammo stores will pop up around the borders.
Probably not, because the newly passed ammo laws prohibit out of state purchase and "importation" (such as in the trunk of your car when you return to CA). SO, a CA resident, crossing the state line, and buying ammo (perfectly legal in that state) cannot bring it home, without breaking the new CA law.

Also ended by the new law is direct internet sale of ammo to CA residents. You can BUY it online, but it can no longer be delivered direct to the buyer. It must be delivered to a CA licensed ammo dealer, who will run the (now)required background check on the buyer (for a fee, of course) and collect the STATE TAX on your purchase.

We call it compliance, they call it evasion, don't use their terms, it does not further our cause.

I don't know if the new laws will make revolvers more "popular", what is does do is make semis less attractive. I suppose it amounts to the same thing, in the end. One thing I see that the new laws WILL do, is make those revolvers on the approved list cost more. Supply and demand will take care of that.
Old July 2, 2016, 12:27 PM   #9
natman

Quote:
10 round limit on handgun mags has been CA law for many years. Don't know what this new law is or does.

Not much left except total confiscation

The new law mandates confiscation of all magazines over 10 rounds, even those that were legally possessed under the old law.
Old July 2, 2016, 12:27 PM   #10
qkarl

CA laws are dumb, these new ones are supremely dumb, there will be even dumber ones on the future. That said, personally I like guns like the SKS. The stripper clips aren't bad. They're still fast and you can carry more clips than you can mags. You're just limited to loading 10 rounds per clip though, which is still a lot better than 1 at a time. Watch them ban stripper clips and moon clips next.

There are also pump action and straight pull AR looking rifles available for people living in bad places.

Last edited by qkarl; July 2, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old July 2, 2016, 01:35 PM   #11
armoredman

So, with all these "importation" restrictions, will we see the old checkpoints used to check for fruits and vegetables suddenly re manned by California Border Patrol to inspect all vehicles entering and exiting the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia?
Old July 2, 2016, 01:49 PM   #12
peggysue

Once all the semi-autos are ban California will be the safest state in the union concerning crime.
Old July 2, 2016, 03:13 PM   #13
armoredman

That's absolutely true, peggysue, when they are banned all criminals will be safer in California than almost any other place in America, with the exception of Chicago, NYC and Washington DC.
Old July 2, 2016, 03:51 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
Well folks... who's next
The rest of the country - same with ANY loss of freedom law that CA passes. I have lived in the West close to CA, it is amazing what happens when they sneeze.

Quote:
Once all the semi-autos are ban California will be the safest state in the union concerning crime.
Then take away all the lawmakers' armed guards and make them live in either Compton or Oakland.

Quote:
Probably not, because the newly passed ammo laws prohibit out of state purchase and "importation" (such as in the trunk of your car when you return to CA). SO, a CA resident, crossing the state line, and buying ammo (perfectly legal in that state) cannot bring it home, without breaking the new CA law.
Then, maybe it is time for non-violent civil disobedience ala Ml King Jr. - just don't obey and do so without violence (which law-abiding citizens do).
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 2, 2016, 04:14 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

If anything, I imagine it will see a revival of older style designs that allow for breech-loading with clips from above, not mags from below.

If it's any consolation, we're looking at the same over here.

Just had a letter back from an MEP here who says that it is too easy for the public to get guns and tightening laws would stop terrorists doing another "Paris" when all the news reports and police reports have already shown the guns were obtained on the black market and were prohibited weapons to begin with.

I mean... you just couldn't make it up...
Old July 2, 2016, 07:00 PM   #16
Jim Watson

There are already AR based rifles that load a fixed magazine from the top of the lower receiver.
It looks awkward to have to start a field strip on the gun to get to the magazine, but it is a simple adaptation.

If I were in the industry, I would have had my engineers working on a gate loading auto a long time ago. Q.V. the 1941 Johnson.
Old July 2, 2016, 08:53 PM   #17
Sharkbite

So, if i travel into Cali to visit family and will be staying at a hotel, i can no longer bring a revolver with AMMO with me? Because that would have me "importing" ammo into the state?
Old July 2, 2016, 09:10 PM   #18
22-rimfire

I wonder what dealers are going to charge for background checks for ammunition buyers? I assume when they say "dealers", they mean FFL folks. This is a huge inconvenience and likely expensive.

I highly doubt law enforcement is going to be stopping vehicles at the border checking for ammunition. But yeah, it's the law.

In TN there is a ammunition tax per box. Technically only ammunition that the tax (has a tax stamp on the box) is legal to shoot in the state. But I have never heard of anyone ever being charged with a crime for this.
Old July 2, 2016, 09:20 PM   #19
DaleA

Two words: Jim March.

They LAUGHED when he slid a magazine into his revolver but I bet they aren't laughing NOW...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4XtVldNbO4

Quote:
-a magazine-fed revolver handgun that takes standard cartridges.
Long time members are familiar with this but the video is a hoot and a half anyway.
Old July 2, 2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Andy Blozinski

I can remember a news story years ago about a shooting in Canada involving an assault rifle. It turned out to be a Garand. Since it held more than 5 rounds it was legally considered a high capacity assault weapon.
Old July 3, 2016, 10:03 AM   #21
natman

Quote:
If I understand it correctly, with the magazine restrictions on semi-automatic handguns making it impossible to reload without disassembling the gun, revolvers should increase in popularity in CA both for personal use and competition.
Do I have that right?
Semi auto handguns with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less are unaffected.

For now.
Old July 3, 2016, 10:34 AM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
For now.
For now.

In a year, or three, when these laws don't bring about a total end to violent crime in CA, they will attempt to pass new, and even more restrictive laws.

And, just FYI, there are semi auto handguns with a magazine capacity of 10rnds (or LESS) that are already restricted/banned under OTHER CA laws.

.22 cal Olympic target pistols are one. (semi auto, 5 shot magazine, NOT located in the pistol grip = assault weapon)
Old July 3, 2016, 01:43 PM   #23
Jim Watson

I think Cal has a target pistol exemption for such scary items as a Pardini.
Old July 3, 2016, 02:59 PM   #24
Brit

My Glock 15 round mag capacity, Glock 19 will never see California. But IF I had to live there, my skill at speed loading a S&W revolver, with a speed loader, would give me 18 rounds of .38 Special hollow points, pretty dam quick.
Old July 9, 2016, 07:34 PM   #25
shep854

CA-legal (for now ) options for AR15-pattern rifles are already coming out. From The Firearm Blog:
The Bullet Button 'Reloaded'-- http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...iant-offering/

AND

ARMagLock--
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...tton-required/