The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 3, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Shakgul

Extraction with m3500

Sometimes when I go skeet shooting, the shell fells to extract in my stroeger 3500 and the second shell jams. I'm not haviing any ejection problems, everyone always says oil and clean it, I do. Can oil be causing it not to extract? I use the spray on rim oil. My thinking is that maybe it was to much oil in it and sometimes the extracter might not catch?
Old May 3, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
the rifleer

It is possible to over oil a gun, but it will not cause those results. When oiling a gun you only want a small amount of oil. If you have too much oil, it is really easy for dirt to stick and you will actually wear the gun faster because you have dirt in the gun, but this is not you problem.

I think your problem is related to light loads. Target loads used for trap are not very heavy loads, in general. I recommend you try some heavier shot loads and see if that fixes your problem. Sometimes guns need to be broken in with heavier load before you can shoot lighter loads.

If your gun still jams with heavier loads, you need to see if the manufacture will let you send it back and repair it under warranty.

Again, when oiling, just use a light coat, its really doesn't take a lot of oil.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Virginian

What kind of shells are you using and have you cleaned the chamber good? Plastic loves to stick to plastic, especially when warmed.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
BigJimP

I think its probably shell related too.../ try some different shell brands and see if the issue goes away. I would also try some shells with higher velocities ---not necessarily heavier pay loads of shot ...but maybe 1225 fps ...( partly depends on what shells you're having this issue with ?)

I have seen a case of Rio's recently ---that were causing some seating issues even in an O/U .....because the base - at the rim - had a small ridge in it .../ where they were not sized properly. The shooter was having all kinds of issues - until we checked the dimensions on his shells.

Shell sizing issues are common on a lot of the promotional shells....bulk packs from Walmart ( Win ), or Estate ...or Fiocchi ...and now some Rio's.../ I would search out some Remington STS or Gun Club shells and see if the issue goes away.

No, oiling a gun is not going to cause this issue in my opinion.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Shakgul

Value pack

I have been using the value packs from walmart, they useally go about 1200 and are 1 1/8. The loads the ranges sells are only an oz but I did have some rem. 1 1/8 at 1290 and those were nice I don't think I had any problems that
day but ammo is getting hard to find these days. Every store I go to it's slim picking. I tried to reload and that did not work out well, I still have some of those left but they ended up duds. Trying to find the specifics hulls to reload is just as hard as finding ammo.

I useally take a brush to the chamber with a cloth before I re-oil it. What do you consider a good cleaning. I don't really know how to take it apart like my pistol. They need to make em like pistols just hit a button and slide it apart lol.

Last edited by Shakgul; May 4, 2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add on.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6
eastbank

i and friends of mine had troubles when loading the cheap box store shells, but i dug out a old resizeing tool made by lachmiller a full case and base resizer along with decapping too alll in one, now after fireing three times i use it on all my cases before loading on a mec 9000G. even a mec size master doesn,t do as good a job. eastbank.
Old May 6, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
BigJimP

I would suggest you educate yourself on how to strip a shotgun down ....its really very easy...take barrel off, remove the trigger group ( clean and lube everything properly )...

You might check some of the shotgun clubs in your area....most of them in my area are still selling 12ga and 20ga shells by the flat ( 10 boxes ).../ gunshows in my area are another source for flats or cases of shotshells ( prices are up all over - but shells seem to be selling out at the retail outlets like WalMart ...but the specialty sporting good operations ( like Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas, etc --- all seem to have shells).

Reloading isn't for everyone ....but if you can find someone locally to mentor you a little ...I think you'll find its really easy. MEC makes the best machines on the market...on the lower end (a Grabber model - will give you about 8 boxes an hour)...on the higher end a 9000 GN model will give you 15 boxes or so an hour...and they'll both give you a very high quality shell --- if you use good cases ( like Remington STS hulls).

Components are pretty easy to get for shotshells too...

but whatever works for you .