The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
travisisrad

I'm lookin for a 9

I'm looking for a 9mm...a friend said he really loved the Springfield XDm but he also said Taurus is a nice gun as well. I was originally thinking Glock but after shopping around I found good reviews for the XDm and only a few vague, but good reviews for the Taurus 24/7 Pro Long Slide. They are both in my price range and are full frame. Now which is the better pistol when all I really want to do is target shooting?
Old September 13, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
old bear

The best 9 M/M ever made is the Browning H.P. More than either you mentioned but well wort the expense. Of all the guns' I've traded/sold over the years my H.P. is the only one I really regret selling.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:18 PM   #3
travisisrad

So what does the Browning have over the Springfield and Taurus that would convince me to spend 2-300 extra? Sights, trigger pull, simplicity? I'm a beginner shooter and this would be my first gun purchase (instead of borrowing one.)
Old September 13, 2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Grapevinebill

Friend, there is only one right answer for you. Try to find a range where you can shoot as many guns as you can rent. Get a feel for the one that you like and fits your needs. I just went through the same process and shot 3 gu s. The XD-M, a Glock 17 and a Beretta 92 FS. All priced very close to each other. I decided on the Beretta because I liked the way it felt in my hand and the accuracy it offered. You may have different results. Have fun, be safe and enjoy the ride.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:27 PM   #5
zombieslayer

Id take just about anything over a taurus. Best 9mm plastic gun imo is the Walther P99. I had an XDm and it was a pretty swell gun btw.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:31 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

How about a CZ 75?... In stock at Buds for $497...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539768
Old September 13, 2011, 08:38 PM   #7
zebco

The two most accurate 9mm guns I've shot are the CZ 75 Compact PCR and the Beretta PX4. I also like the Glock 19.

Can't remember if it was on this board or another popular forum, but there was a lightly used PCR for sale in the classifieds for I believe $435 shipped. I would have been all over that one if it wasn't for the fact I already own one.

My suggestion to someone is what I've always done: Find a range with a good amount of rentals and pick the one that feels and shoots best. Well worth the $70 or so it may cost with ammo. That $70 will seem like nothing if it can help you avoid picking something you'll regret later on.

And of course, welcome to the board.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Grapevinebill has given you the only right answer. There are a lot of great 9's from a lot of good, reliable companies. You have to check them out first hand!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 13, 2011, 08:48 PM   #9
travisisrad

As zombieslayer keyed in on, I want a plastic gun. So is the consensus that the Taurus should be off the table? I'm shopping at Bud's, and I saw the CZ SP01 Phantom had some great reviews as well. The range is out of the question because the closest one with the broadest selection is 45 min away and I haven't that kind of time to devote to trials. That's why o thought the forum would be better to see what direction I should be looking.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:52 PM   #10
MaXXimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapevinebill View Post
Friend, there is only one right answer for you. Try to find a range where you can shoot as many guns as you can rent. Get a feel for the one that you like and fits your needs. I just went through the same process and shot 3 guns. Have fun, be safe and enjoy the ride.
Hands down the best answer. Find what works best for you in your price range.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk
Old September 13, 2011, 09:01 PM   #11
speedfreeq

Well if you're shooting craps anyway, I'll throw in on the PX4 as well. Traded my Taurus PT111 for it, gladly.

I've shot XDm, Glock 23, Ruger LC9, Taurus PT111, and KelTec subcompact. They're all fine for putting 9mm holes in things.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old September 13, 2011, 11:03 PM   #12
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've shot XDm, Glock 23, Ruger LC9, Taurus PT111, and KelTec subcompact. They're all fine for putting 9mm holes in things.
For some reason, the very best 9mm holes come from my Walther P99AS. My brother's Ruger SR9 makes pretty decent 9mm holes.

All the 9mm holes I've seen come from Glocks are just ugly.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:08 PM   #13
moose_nukelz

If you plan on buying you really need to devote the time to get to a shop and see what works for you. Not just the grip, but how you manipulate the controls and how it feels when you shoot.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:53 PM   #14
daliff89

i have a Glock in .45 and like it pretty well

i really like the G26, it's a sub-compact 9mm

i've never shot a XD9, but i really liked the XD45 that i shot, i liked it better than i like shooting my Glock to be honest, i just couldn't find one for the right price at the time
Old September 14, 2011, 01:45 AM   #15
tahunua001

ok buddy unlike the other guys I'll give you specific information on your two guns
the XDM is a beautiful design. it manages recoil very well, has a lifetime warranty, has a very nice trigger as far as polymer pistols go, is very accurate, is very durable and will eat any ammo you put in it. I have the XDM in 45 acp and it has less recoil than a glock 22...louder noise but less recoil. as far as simplicity, I have yet to see a pistol that disassembles as easily as an XDM, you just lock the slide back, flip the disassembly lever up and release the slide and presto, gun field stripped.

the taurus has a manual safety, the XDM does not, all of the safeties on the XDM are automatically disengaged during intentional firing.

the taurus has a very long trigger pull, XDM is about average for service pistols

ergonomics is going to be very subjective but I believe the XDM has better ergos.

the taurus has 17+1 ammo cap, the XDM has 19+1 ammo cap.

the taurus has a DA/SA trigger while the XDM is closer to a Single action only(springfield classifies it as a striker fired trigger since it does not fall into either single or double action criteria).

the taurus is 28 OZ, the XDM is 32 oz.

taurus has developed a very poor reputation over the years for shoddy workmanship and poor quality control. I cant speak for them in recent years but I know that from the very beginning the XDM has been 100% quality.

hope this helps.
Old September 14, 2011, 02:53 AM   #16
MikeNice81

When it comes to Taurus I think my department's Range Officer said it best, "Taurus is great after you do the quality control and send it back." I had two Taurus revolvers and they worked great. The semi-autos have a spotty reputation though.

The XD and XDm are a little more refined than most Taurus pistols I have operated. They also have a longer standing reputation for getting it right the first time.

For me the CZ P-07 Duty is my gun of choice. I wouldn't trade it for either of the above mentioned guns. I made that decision by handling the gun and seeing what felt right. The XDs are too top heavy for me. The Taurus 24/7 was decently balanced but seemed rough and less refined. The CZ just fit and felt right.

Shoot everything you can and handle everything you can't shoot. You might be suprised by what you like.
Old September 14, 2011, 03:58 AM   #17
8shot357

No Taurus, the XDm is the way to go. I don't own either, but try out the XDm, you won't be disappointed.

But don't take my word for it, find out for your self.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:39 AM   #18
Sparks1957

The pistol I go to first in my collection is my SIG P229 9mm. Finest handgun I have ever owned, and I trust my life to it.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:05 AM   #19
new_scopeshooter

I have no experiance with the xdm. But I have over 6000 rounds throuh xd9 and xd45. And a I have ownd a 24/7. Hands down the 24/7 wasn't for me. Horrible trigger and it didn't shoot well at all(maybe do to the trigger pull) I would rent a couple diff guns if possible... if not go to a local rang and maybe some shooters will be nice and let you shoot a couple.( I always try to let others shoot my guns if they ask for guidence
Old September 14, 2011, 07:17 AM   #20
dkm455

Walther

If you're set on a polymer gun, check out the Walther PPQ. Great feel in hand (subjective, I know) and fantastic accuracy for me - and easily the best striker fired trigger I've felt in a plastic gun.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:58 AM   #21
loose_holster_dan

don't waste your money on a taurus. they are trash. my first two guns were taurus (pt917c and 24/7 pro c). as soon as i bought my first quality gun, i realized what i was missing and sold the taurus.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 14, 2011, 08:28 AM   #22
output

I have a few polymer pistols all of which are very reliable and accurate (I guess I’ve been lucky.) My collection includes XD’s, Glock’s, and S&W MP’s.

If I my only options were the XDM or the Taurus I would pick the XDM. Here is why, I have handled and fired them both and I like the way the XDM feels/fits my hand. I also think the XDM is more esthetically pleasing, YMMV which is why you should try them both at a local range before you make a purchase. All of us have varying preferences that can differ greatly person to person but at the end of the day it is really just personal preference. There is no “best.”

I would also add the S&W MP to the list of pistols to try. If I am not mistaken they are going for $435.00 as I write this post. At that price point I don’t think you can buy a better pistol dollar for dollar…but that is just my opinion.
Best of luck to you Sir.
Old September 14, 2011, 08:37 AM   #23
pgdion

Deciding on 9mm for your first gun is definitely the right choice. It's the best caliber to start with and may be the one you prefer in the long run as well (it is mine). After that, yea, what GrapevineBill said. I went through a lot of different guns at the top of my list before buying 1. Originally my #1 choice was the M&P, the SR9 was I think #2. To this day I still don't own either one. My 1st gun ended up being the Beretta 92FS and it's by far still my favorite. My second was a Cougar, a gun I didn't even know existed when I started looking.
If you want suggestions, XD/XDm is a good choice, I also like Beretta 92FS, the PX4, CZ75D, Stoeger Cougar, SR9, Smith 5906, Sig 226, Smith M&P, Walther P99, ect. It's a long list. Best shooting is easily the 92FS, best feeling in my hand has got to be that Cougar.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:26 PM   #24
SteelChickenShooter

Target 9mm?

Want a good gun for targets in 9mm? Awful hard to beat a Glock34.
If I could have only one 9mm, it would be a CZ75-P01, NSN 1005-16-000-8619.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:34 PM   #25
chris in va

The XD, Taurus and Glock 17/19 are primarily 'combat' handguns and aren't set up to be precision target shooters. They'll come with combat non-adjustable sights and so-so triggers.

I've fired quite a few different handguns and owned an XD9. My CZ 75BD is still my primary range gun after everything else has been bought and sold, if that tells you anything.

Tags
9mm , springfield , taurus