The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Mr.Magoo

Need help for a 45 Colt load ...

I'm a relative beginner in reloading (meaning I've found a couple of loads I like for my 45 ACP and my 45 Colt and stick to them.)

I'm trying to work-up a load for my 45 Colt that I'm hoping someone can help with. The bullet is a 270 gr. Keith, the gun is a Blackhawk 4 5/8". I'd like to have a load running about 950 - 1000 fps.

I'm currently loading Bullseye in the 45 auto and H110 in the Colt. I was thinking I could use the H110 for this new load in the Colt, but have recently read that "reduced" loads shouldn't be done with H110. Any recommendations on the best powder to use for this load would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old December 5, 2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Ben Shepherd

Blue dot or 2400 should work well for that application.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 6, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
Ben Shepherd

No other takers? Sorry wer're not much help around here I guess.
As for the 2 I reccomended:

2400 will be just a touch sooty, but the soot will just wipe off. 2400 and cast slugs in big bore handguns is "the" classic combination.

Blue dot should burn pretty clean.

Of the 2, 2400 usually meters easier in a powder measure. But blue dot is more economical.

Contact our member WESHOOT2 for some very good specific advice. Hangun ammo is what he does for a living. He may have suggestions on powders I've never tried, and therefore can't give advice on.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old December 6, 2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Mr.Magoo

Thanks Ben. I think I'll give the 2400 a try. I can't seem to find much info. on "in-between" loads for the 45 Colt. Loads are either soft for the weaker guns or full house loads for the Rugers, T/C's etc... I had been shooting 21 gr. of H110 over a 335gr. hard cast and it will wake you up.

The warning not to use H110 for reduced loads took me by surprise and I don't really keep-up with the latest info.
Old December 6, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5
jsflagstad

Vihtavuori might get you there

Magoo,

Vihtavuori N330 might get you right in where you want to be. +1 on WESHOOT2 as he really knows his stuff. He turned me on to the Vihtavuori powders (for a different caliber) and it has been some great stuff and now I use many different Vitavuori powders on many different calibers. I would second the point that the 2400 is sooty. I have used it in my 357 mag and have not been impressed as there is an emense amount of soot flying everywhere, even out between the cylinder and the barrel and one time causing my hand to bleed (ouch). It may behave differently for you so I guess I wouldn't rule it out.

Good luck and be safe...
Old December 6, 2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Mr.Magoo

On your recommendations I've sent a email to WESHOOT2 ... Hopefully, he'll have an idea or two for me. Thanks again.
Old December 6, 2006, 09:08 PM   #7
Trapper L

Since you are new, give this website a try on load suggestions. ALWAYS check to see if the data presented agrees with any loading manual for maximum loads.
http://handloads.com/loaddata/defaul...Powder&Source=

For your loads, I would be looking at Unique powder. It is not as dirty today as the older Unique but is still a little dirty. Accuracy has always been one of it attributes. But, choosing the right components and making them work in your gun is the fun part of reloading.
Old December 6, 2006, 11:26 PM   #8
The Real Wyatt

9 or 10 grains of Unique. Or maybe more. 10 grains of Unique will make that Blackhawk sing. 25-26 grains of H110 under the mentioned bullet will make that Blackhawk a Really Bad $ss gun for any purpose whatsoever.
Old December 7, 2006, 03:30 AM   #9
ziggy222

you may want to give w231 powder a look.i like it in my 45colt snubnose.their are faster powders out there but w231 is clean and accurate.
Old December 7, 2006, 09:59 AM   #10
HSMITH

10 grains of Unique is safe in the Ruger only, if you do load it make sure you mark the loads so they won't find their way into any other 45 colt.

That said, the 10 grain load shoots great and should make the velocity you are looking for.

Blue Dot sucks until you get the pressures and load density up enough for it to perform, and that window where it will perform is very narrow. Start at 13.5 and work up until velocities are consistent, you will probably be well over 1000 fps when things smooth out. Again this is Ruger only territory!!!

2400 is a good choice. 4756 is a good choice. Power Pistol, and Super Field are also good choices.
Old December 9, 2006, 01:28 AM   #11
Scorch

I use Unique in my 45s. Works really well for mild loads and midrange loads. For heavy loads, I use Blue Dot. That'll wake you up!
Old December 9, 2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Bama

I bought that same bullet mold... It took me a while to find loads for it. Did you try www.stevespages.com?