The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2011, 01:59 PM   #1
bossman

what causes powder blow back on case

I loaded some 45 acp with a new powder and had powder blow back on the spent case. I was at min start so shouldn't be to much pressure. Is it to much crimp or not enought crimp?

I was trying for a light load with 4.2 Bullseye and 200 gr plated. any ideals?

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

Do you mean that the cases were sooty on the outside? If so, that's usually an indicator of low pressure, and if you bump up the powder charge a bit (within published data limits) it should go away. What's happening is that there isn't enough pressure to seal the brass case against the chamber.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
bossman

OK that's what I was trying for maybe just too light a charge. They were nice loads though and cycled all my autos. I'll step up the loads just a tad.

Old May 18, 2011, 03:49 PM   #4
brickeyee

Quote:
what causes powder blow back on case
Not enough pressure to seal the case to the chamber walls.
Old May 18, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman
They were nice loads though and cycled all my autos. I'll step up the loads just a tad.
Soot on the outside of the case doesn't hurt anything. If you like the load leave it the way it is. You may have to clean a little more often, but if you're one that cleans after every range trip you'll never see a difference.
Old May 18, 2011, 06:51 PM   #6
bossman

After i cleaned the soot off some of the cases were discolored . Will they still be good for reloading?

Old May 18, 2011, 07:04 PM   #7
k4swb

After many many years of shooting and testing, I have come to the conclusion that the trigger is the cause of dirty ammo.

As long as I never pull the trigger when the ammo is in the gun, it stays perfectly clean. Ammo in a box on the shelf stays pristine and I can even chamber it in any gun I own and it will remain clean. Pulling the trigger messes things up every time.

Therefore I will no longer put any ammo that I wish to remain spotless in the gun and pull the trigger.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

Bossman, they are still good for reloading. My wife likes lite powered .38 Special rounds and the discoloration is a result. (For really good discoloration, shoot some black powder in your .38 or .45 Colt! Looks pretty!)

Just tumble them and re-load. Some of her loads have been re-loaded several times and no sign of case failure. Like a lot of guys say about semi-auto ammo, you'll probably lose the cases before they wear out.

Just inspect the brass before each reloading session and if there are cracks, toss it.
Old May 19, 2011, 08:53 AM   #9
overkill0084

If the load is accurate & reliable, I wouldn't worry about a bit of soot. Pick up some once fired factory brass off the floor. You will find similar sootiness with a lot of it. Just leave it in the tumbler a bit longer.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke