The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 2, 2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Jbar4Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennJed
I hope to get into cowboy action shooting one day but don't know the basics. My understanding is 2 SA revolvers and 1 lever action rifle. Currently have a new model vaquero in 357 (stainless) and plan on adding another one just like it.

I have an opportunity to get a Rossi 357 lever action (24" hexagon barrel). Would that be a decent start up set up? Are the barrel lengths ok? Would the 24" lever action be too long?

Any help in what you need and how it works would be appreciated
A lot of us started with '92's, and I know many good shooters that have never switched, although the 1873 is the primo gun. My daughter shoots a Rossi '92 .357 and won the state championship "Young Guns" category with it two years running, then she turned 18 and had to shoot in the women's categories - she still finished 3rd woman at the state match and top overall woman shooter at the recent two day territorial match.
Most people prefer shorter barrels, but some like the longer tubes, just make sure if you get something with a shorter barrel that it will hold ten rounds of your chosen ammo. Vaqueros rule the game, but a lot of folks shoot Uberti's and a few who can afford it shoot Colts. The .38 Special cartridge is the most popular, followed very closely by the .45 Colt. "Classic Cowboy" requires .40 cal or above, so you might keep that in mind.
Clothing is not a big deal, other than Classic Cowboy and B Western, which are based greatly on costuming. Blue jeans and a western style long sleeve shirt will get you by in the other categories.
Shoot light smokeless loads with light bullets to be a gamer or shoot heavy bullets and black powder to be authentic - you can shoot this game any way you like. Yesterday, I shot a 10g coach gun with black powder and brass shells, heavy .45 Colt black powder loads in 7 1/2" New Vaqueros, and 147 grain black powder .38 Spl loads in a Marlin. I finished 18th out of 23 due to some shotgun problems, but still 1st in category because I was the only Frontier Cartridge Duelist. A hollow win, but I've never been to a match and not had a very good time.

SASS 47015