The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1
The Captain

To scope or not to scope?

To scope or not to scope? That is my question.

I have 2 older Marlins. A Model 80 (circa 1968) which was given to me by my father recently. He bought it new and doesn't recall ever shooting it. I also have a circa 1977 Model 60, which has been shot, but not often. I live in an area that doesn't offer much opportunity for plinking (suburbia) and there aren't many ranges nearby. I do want to start shooting more, but it's likely going to be just "fun range shooting" on an occasional basis and casual plinking if and when the opportunity arises.

The last time I went to the range I found that my aging eyes don't work well enough to let me use the iron sights and still have fun. Hence my question - to scope or not to scope? I am completely unknowledgeable in the world of scopes, but if I'm going to get a couple I don't want to spend much money on them given the limited use I anticipate, so I'm probably gonna look at low-end Chinese made scopes, which I know are not the favorites around here.

So, I'm looking for both an education and some advice.
For example - fixed or variable? If variable, what range?
What is AO and is it worth the added cost?
What diameter - I've seen rimfire scopes with 15-20mm objectives (is that the right word?) and scopes with 32, 40 and 50 mm diameters?
At the price range I'm looking at, is there any scope that might be a better bet than others? I've looked at Barska, BSA Sweet 22, Simmons 22 mag, Tasco, the usual Wally World lineup.
I have an old no-name 4x15 scope. Should I just put that on and be done with it?
Or is there a viable alternative that I don't know about to scoping?

I apologize for all the newbie-type questions, but that is what I am and I don't know of a better way to learn than from the experts here.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Pahoo

Old Marlins & Eyes; Ah yes !!!

I can relate to your post as my eyes have been there for a number of years, now. Can only tell you what I have done and think and it might make it easier for you. ....

In my opinion, nothing looks better than an old Weaver, on these Marlins. in fact that is all I will mount on these. Look for the "K" or better yet, the "T" series. Straight power is good enough but have no problem with a variable. Try to fit the size of the scope, to the size of the rifle. .....

Just one example; http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...=226612775#PIC

Stay Vintage and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 7, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
g.willikers

It depends on how you are going to use these rifles - target size, number of targets, distance, 'etc.
For small targets and/or longer distances, slow fire, an optical zoom is just fine, say a 4-10 power or so.
These days, zooms are very good, even at the lower prices.
Especially for use with .22s, as the recoil is so low.
But do spend a little more and get one with an adjustable objective lens, the larger front lens.
Then the rear lens can be focused on the cross hairs and the front lens on the target.
It makes life much easier than a scope with just the rear lens adjustable.
The larger the objective, the better the light gathering.
A 40mm is plenty good enough.
For multiple targets at shorter ranges, dot scopes are good.
Easier and faster to pick up the targets.
Just make sure the dot is bright enough for outdoors in sunlight.
These are what I use, anyway.