The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 17, 2010, 07:24 AM   #26
Support_and_Defend

Maybe I should have added: Does not make it legal for them to sell it to you. It actually is perfectly legal for you to purchase it, so long as you do not lie or present false information to them. The actual statute puts the onus on them for selling it - it only puts the onus on you for being honest!
Old September 17, 2010, 08:42 PM   #27
TheGoldenState

Quote:
Maybe I should have added: Does not make it legal for them to sell it to you. It actually is perfectly legal for you to purchase it, so long as you do not lie or present false information to them. The actual statute puts the onus on them for selling it - it only puts the onus on you for being honest!
Even better to know, thanks for the info
Old September 17, 2010, 11:35 PM   #28
cdutton

Okay, clarification:

-I cannot trade money for a handgun.
-I can be gifted a handgun while under 21, but only from a family member.
-It is not illegal for me to buy handgun ammunition while under 21 from a licensed dealer, but it is illegal for a licensed dealer to sell it to me. If they choose to sell it to me anyways, they are guilty of a crime, but I am not.

Question: Can I buy handgun ammunition (or any kind of ammunition) from a private party?

Let's say I meet someone from this forum and exchange money for ammo in person. Is that a crime?

In the same scenario, let's say I buy specifically handgun ammunition from a private party while under 21. Is this illegal?

To be clear, cause this is getting hinky, I don't intend to do any of the above, although I'd like to try to find shotgun rounds cheaper locally through gunbroker or this forum (when my 30 day no posting thing is over with, I'll be posting a WTB 12 gauge slugs and 00 Buck thread). However, if it's illegal cause it's not through a dealer, I'm not down for that.

I'd rather not be convicted of a felony and lose my guns
Old September 17, 2010, 11:46 PM   #29
Support_and_Defend

Quote:
-I cannot trade money for a handgun.
You can buy a handgun from an immediate family member (in California) (father, mother, grandfather, grandmother). A transfer is still a transfer - it does not matter if it is a sale or a gift. In most other states you could buy one from a private party with the only requirement being same state resident.

Quote:
-I can be gifted a handgun while under 21, but only from a family member.
Only from those family members mentioned above (in California).

Quote:
-It is not illegal for me to buy handgun ammunition while under 21 from a licensed dealer, but it is illegal for a licensed dealer to sell it to me. If they choose to sell it to me anyways, they are guilty of a crime, but I am not.
That is true in Federal law. California I am not so sure of (I just don't know the California law on that).
Quote:
Can I buy handgun ammunition (or any kind of ammunition) from a private party?
Federal law allows it. Again, not sure about California law.

Quote:
Let's say I meet someone from this forum and exchange money for ammo in person. Is that a crime?
Same answer, because you are asking the same question.

Quote:
In the same scenario, let's say I buy specifically handgun ammunition from a private party while under 21. Is this illegal?
Again, same answer, because again, same question.

Quote:
To be clear, cause this is getting hinky, I don't intend to do any of the above, although I'd like to try to find shotgun rounds cheaper locally through gunbroker or this forum (when my 30 day no posting thing is over with, I'll be posting a WTB 12 gauge slugs and 00 Buck thread). However, if it's illegal cause it's not through a dealer, I'm not down for that.
I thought we were talking about handguns and handgun ammunition? Now what are talking about? A pistol grip only shotgun?

Quote:
I'd rather not be convicted of a felony and lose my guns
What guns? I thought all your guns were lost in a "tragic boating accident"
Old September 17, 2010, 11:51 PM   #30
TheGoldenState

Quote:
What guns? I thought all your guns were lost in a "tragic boating accident"
LOL "guns? what guns? I dont have any guns. Oh THOSE guns. Yea, but remember that time i went fishing in Lake ThisIsWhereIllTellTheGovermentWheremyGunEndedUp?"

Youve been alot of help SD, plethora of knowledge.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:52 PM   #31
scorpion_tyr

Oops... I was wrong... got some State and Federal laws mixed up as I was reading through them. Just ignore my posts.