The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 24, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
gokyo

Will Bore butter work as a wad lube?

I have read the "so you want a cap and ball" Thread and will try, tallow, paraffin and beeswax, emitted into a mason jar.

However I have I am still a noob and I am trying to keep things on a small scale as i get my feet wet. I kinds of want easy and premade as i start figuring things out.

I was wondering if I could melt up a little bore butter and soak my felt in that.

Or maybe just buy a block of SPG from buffalo arms.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Old June 24, 2009, 10:24 PM   #2
SamStafford

The bore butter is good.
Old June 25, 2009, 12:54 AM   #3
fastforty

Yep, it's good wad lube/you can do that (pretty sure you can get wads already lubed with the stuff too).
Old June 25, 2009, 05:48 AM   #4
mykeal

Actually Bore Butter is an excellent lube to use if you are just starting out. You don't need to melt it down and soak the felt; you can just squeeze some out of the tube onto the cloth and rub it in with your fingers. The heat of your fingers plus the friction of rubbing it into the cloth will melt it enough to penetrate the material.

Bore Butter's only real disadvantage is it's cost. The homemade lube recipes are less expensive but take more effort. Once you're more familiar with the other parts of black powder shooting you can abandon the Bore Butter and get into homemade lubes if you wish.
Old June 25, 2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Clamper Ramrod

I don't use a lubed felt wad. Every time I do, the lube gets into the powder and I get an unsatisfactory pooosh instead of a bang.
I've put them in and immediatly fired the round and still contamination by the lube.
I've taken to over the ball lube with bore butter. Works fine but gets real messy when you're doing 20 shot strings.

I've used wonder wads by ox yoke, then lubed wads by october country and still contamination.
Fannie Mostly's Gun Boy
Old June 25, 2009, 08:22 AM   #6
mykeal

Apparently you're using too much lube. Try backing off on the amount until you can just barely feel the lube on the wad.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Pahoo

Absotively !!!
Just keep them in that jar or poly bag and put it out in the sun. Then clean and finger press out the excess. Taught an M/L class last Saturday and it was so hot that I could hardly hang on to my round balls. Uh, what's the word?? .... .50 Cal.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 25, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8
Fingers McGee

Quote:
I don't use a lubed felt wad. Every time I do, the lube gets into the powder and I get an unsatisfactory pooosh instead of a bang.
I've put them in and immediatly fired the round and still contamination by the lube.
I've taken to over the ball lube with bore butter. Works fine but gets real messy when you're doing 20 shot strings.

I've used wonder wads by ox yoke, then lubed wads by october country and still contamination.
Only time I have ever had a contamination problem with lubed wads was when I used some that had too much soft lube in them - you could squeeze it out at room temp. Have never had that problem with Wonder Wads though. Home lubed wads with higher beeswax content reduces the chance of contamination.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #9
gokyo

Could I mix into Bore butter bees wax. Maybe start with 3/4 mass bore butter to 1/4 mass bees wax?

I could just make a small batch.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Noz

Try 1 part paraffin form the grocery store, canning variety. One part soy wax or candle wax and 1/2 to 1 part vegetable shortening. Couple of bux involved. Warm, mix and dump your dry wads in. Fish them out, squeeze and let cool. Won't weep into the powder and provides a lubing/scraping action to the barrel with each shot.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:37 PM   #11
gokyo

Thank you that sound like an interesting recipe.
Old June 25, 2009, 05:28 PM   #12
long rider

Gokyo, try crisco and beeswax 50 50 best lube in town.