The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 7, 2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Harley2k

Handgun Training Help

Is there anything a man could do to do a little self training. All of my shooting is done standing in front of a target poking holes in paper. I have alot of land to shoot, plenty of woods as well as wide open space. Loooking for any advice other than just target shooting. How do you all train? I have contacted some gun ranges about training and will be getting some training in the future. Just asking what can I do right now to start.
Old March 7, 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Harlie

Training at home-

One thing that will help you immensly is to get out of your comfort zone. That's where IDPA, USPSA and other shooting activities come in. You will never realize what you don't know until exposed to situations where you respond to set up's and scenerios that are not of your designs.
Then comes the buzzer, witnesses, shooting against/with really advanced shooters, etc, etc. Even if you need to travel to participate in an organized shoot, do so for the exposure. There are a multitude of training schools that are highly recommended, consider one. We limit ourselves by only poking holes in paper in our confort zone, you need to see the elephant at least once.
IDPA requires a handgun, two mag pouches, a holster that covers the trigger, three mag's minimum and couple hundred rounds for first match, ear/eye protection, USPSA, same except more mag's, means to carry them, and lots of ammo. Let us know how it goes, please.
Old March 8, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
USP45usp

Something that I was thinking of is getting some reactive type targets (steel spinners, plates, etc..). You can place the plates on trees or such at man sized heights (like head and COM) and practice that way. Using trees or make plywood "houses" or such for cover, etc..

Use your imagination and you can come up with some really neat drills.

Wayne
Old March 9, 2005, 12:08 AM   #4
Nnobby45

Some excellent tapes on the subject:

Martial Marksmanship---Andy Stanford and Michael Janich

Only Hits Count---Louis Awerbuck

Combat Handgun---John Shaw

Gunfighting Israeli Style--Eugene Socket

Stressfire II Series--Massad Ayoob, thru Police Bookshelf

Anything by Jim Cirillo is worth buying.

These are only a few. Most are available through Paladin Press. You learn a little something new from each one, and can review them from time to time.
Old March 9, 2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Rojoe67

Just a thought on training

I have some land in the northern part of Michigan, here is how I train when up there.

Set up 5-6 safe shooting area targets...... all are in a valley so a natural bullet stop is there for the using. I space mine out even on a sort of round path I have cut. I like to start by a half mile run to the road and back again to get my heart rate moving. Once I have completed the run I go into the targets area. I have them set up at distances from emergency step back (in your face) to 15 meters. I suggest having some shots using cover and concealment and others wide open. I try to make the training as real as I can. I force myself to do drills as quick as I can. Some shots are from holster and some from a ready position and a few from straight point and shoot. I like to also practice from my flat back as if I had been knocked down on my back and had to use handgun force to defend myself. I try to often use my non shooting hand or off hand for some drills. I advise to do some practice as if your main arm has been disabled. This teaches you how to continue to defend even if your injured. I practice racking the slide with the side of my shoe or boot. All of this training is benefical but needs to be thought out and noted and walked thru before you try it live fire. Safety to yourself and if any chance of others in area is- as always #1 Priority. Becareful and train well to survive........... Best wishes and hope this might help a little?
Old June 5, 2005, 10:00 AM   #6
zzirg

this is more for fun, set up bowling pins stagering each other and at different distances 25yds, 50yds,100 yds and some stagered in between then shootem down as fast as you can keep trying until you get them all down with good speed,people are impressed by seeing the pins go down that fast.
Old June 12, 2005, 03:39 PM   #7
itsmike762

I think Harlie has it right. Short of paying for a good class(which most of us working class types cant afford) IDPA or IPSC will teach you to shoot under pressure. I would lean more towards IDPA because the the coarse's of fire are more realistic, and you loose points for doing stuff that will get you killed.
Go to IDPAs web site and find a local club you can shoot with. I dont know about now but you used to be able to down load sample coarse's of fire that you can pratice with before you shoot your first match. IMHO there is nothing better than head to head shooting to test your skill and gear.
Old June 12, 2005, 04:36 PM   #8
OBIWAN

Get a timer

Stop sending any "junk" downrange

Keep working on speed while maintaining accuracy
Old June 29, 2005, 10:03 PM   #9
zzirg

moving target

get yourself a remote control 4x4 truck and have a freind run it around as you try to hit a lite piece of tin that sits on top of a close hanger wire comming up from the truck