The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 11, 2001, 10:34 AM   #1
Mike Irwin
Staff

Reminder! Northern Virginia FU-UN Shoot!

This Friday, July 13, at 7:30 p.m. at the NRA Range in Fairfax.

If anyone is interested, maybe we can go grab a bite to eat afterwards.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 13, 2001, 02:12 PM   #2
Dead

I would like to go, but cant....

I also like the idea of a FAQ-UN shoot.
Old July 13, 2001, 03:22 PM   #3
Mike in VA

Looking forward to it
Old July 13, 2001, 10:48 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

I like that, Dead!

Don't worry, I think the 5 of us who were able to make it this evening had a good time.

We'll do it again.

Unfortunatly, though the NRA range is going to be close the entre month of August for renovations and upgrades.

Old July 15, 2001, 09:56 PM   #5
Jamie Young

Do it again???????? How about joining us in Sept????????? Next time you have something down there I'm coming down with my Fal and my Pal's from TFL!!!
Old July 16, 2001, 02:50 PM   #6
David Park

Hi guys, I just got back from NYC or I would have posted earlier. I had a great time at the FU-UN shoot, and I joined the NRA in the process.

I was nice to put some faces with names. It was also great to shoot some new pistols, since this was only the second time I've been shooting. I enjoyed shooting Mal's .45's (and .44 magnum ), Marty's 1911, and Mike's Kahr K9. I think my favorite was Mal's Sig P239 in 9mm. Too bad we ran out of time before Marty could break out the AR-15.

I look forward to doing it again, and hopefully making it up to SodaPop's shoot in PA. By then I plan to have a gun of my own to bring along. One thing I forgot to ask was which local stores are recommended for buying handguns. I like Gilberts, but don't know anything about their prices or after-purchase service.
Old July 16, 2001, 06:55 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

I had a great time also. Good shooting, good folks and good food! You're right about the short time at the range. I wanted to try out several other guns, Mike's .41 Magnum for instance. Next time we will have to go at a time when a large crowd isn't expected.

For a first time shoot with a .44 Magnum, David certainly did himself proud. I have seen people put maybe 2 shots on the paper their first time - the first shot and maybe a lucky 2nd one. David got 2 in the black and the remaining 4 nearby. Pretty darn good control.
Old July 17, 2001, 01:40 PM   #8
Roadrunner

It was a good time and I'm glad I was also able to put some faces to the different board usernames. Sorry I couldn't stick around for dinner, hopefully next time.

Mal H, was that your scoped cannon David was firing? I was a couple of lanes down and it sounded almost as loud as my Garand. Do you mind sharing what type of handgun, caliber and scope? I'm looking for a nice set-up to try some long distance pistol shooting.

Maybe next time we should try for a weekday evening. Hopefully there won't be so many shooters and we could stay longer.
Old July 17, 2001, 07:57 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

Roadrunner - the .44 Magnum David was shooting was a fairly plain jane Ruger Super Redhawk with a 4X Leupold EER scope. The rounds were some full house reloads that I have found to be very accurate. I was standing behind him and was surprised how they shook the floor! I hadn't noticed that before while shooting. I probably shouldn't shoot them at a public range and stick to shooting them only at home or in the field.
Old July 18, 2001, 12:30 AM   #10
MBG

It was good to meet everyone last week. A big thank you to Mike for organizing it.

David, let me know when you want to put a few rounds through the AR. I'm sure we can find an open range while the NRA is closed for August.

Marty
Old July 22, 2001, 10:18 PM   #11
Roadrunner

I recently returned to shotgun sports (trap, skeet, 5-stand, and sporting clays). I alright with wobble trap and regular trap. However, I miss more then I hit with skeet and the rest.

You guys want to shoot over at the Bull Run Shooting Center in Bull Run Park, Centerville, VA (off Route 66)? If we can get five of us together, we can field our own squad.

If you don't have a shotgun, Bull Run rents them for about $5, a box of shells about $4.50, and about $4 for a round of trap, skeet, etc.

Give it a thought.
Old July 22, 2001, 10:40 PM   #12
David Park

Roadrunner, I'm interested. I have no experience (which is why I want to try it), so I can attend just to make you look better. Besides, if my sister can do it, it can't be that difficult.
Old July 24, 2001, 09:08 PM   #13
ljyang

Bull run

I'm new to the board, but I'd be up for some rounds of trap or maybe trying skeet or 5 stand. I just went to Bull Run for the first time this past weekend. Tried my hand at Wobble Trap. Just bought a Remington 1100 and want to put it through some good use soon. and btw, if anyone still wants to get a good deal on the 1100 from walmart, $329, the new walmart in sterling, by the dulles town center, had one left after I bought mine. It's the floor model, but also a great price.
Old July 24, 2001, 10:02 PM   #14
Jamie Young

After you guys do that, why don't you all come up to the TFL shoot in Sept here in PA. They have a whole sporting clays course where we are having the shoot. And a 500yd Rifle range too!!!! The place is at www.WaterandWings.com
Old July 25, 2001, 01:29 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Roadrunner,

Hey, that sounds like fun!

I'll have to rent a gun, though, as the only shotgun I have right now is my cylinderbore riot gun.

Let me know when you all want to do this, and I'll clear my calendar.

Soda,

I'll try to get up for the shoot in September.

Can't guarantee anything, but I'll try.

Old July 25, 2001, 08:48 AM   #16
Mal H
Staff

I'm game! No, no, don't shoot! I mean that should be a blast, so to speak. But only as long as you all don't laugh when I attempt trap shooting - again. That's one thing I haven't tried much of at all. I've gone twice and about 90% of the little pigeons lived through the ordeal. I'm hoping someone comes that can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

When we get to the details part, we ought to open a new thread for this outing.

Mike - I have two shotguns which I'll bring, an 870 Express Mag and my favorite, an old Ithaca Model 37 both with 28" bbls.
Old July 25, 2001, 09:40 AM   #17
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Cool Mal! I hope you can make it. I've missed the last two shoots but I'm itching to shoot some 500 yard targets. I'll bring my trap gun along too.
Old July 25, 2001, 11:52 AM   #18
Mal H
Staff

Son - Don't forget we're mainly talking about the shotgun shoot at Bull Run, VA. I hope I can make the PA shoot, but it looks iffy at this point for the 16th.
Old July 26, 2001, 12:46 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

Mal,

Thanks, but I learned my lesson a long time ago to shoot trap with an autoloader, and most emphatically NOT with an Ithaca Featherweight!

Old July 27, 2001, 01:18 PM   #20
T-Rex

Just tell me when and where, I'd love to try and learn how to shoot a scattergun again. The only one I've ever been able to hit anything with my Dad's old single .410.
Old July 27, 2001, 06:10 PM   #21
Mal H
Staff

Hey T-Rex! Long time, no talk.

We don't have an agreed upon date yet, but watch this space. This should be a lot of fun.

As a side note, I was shooting my KGP-141 again a couple of days ago and shot some of those DEWC's we used at the NF range. I had forgotten how accurate they were. It's like they have homing devices for the bullseye built in. Have you made some more for your Python? If not and you need to reload some, let me know.
Old August 2, 2001, 02:21 PM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Any more thoughts on a date, guys?

Old August 7, 2001, 09:45 AM   #23
Mal H
Staff

Hello? Hey Roadrunner, you still out there? This is your baby so you have the first shot at picking a date.

I'm very flexible in my schedule except for Thursdays.
Old August 8, 2001, 01:00 AM   #24
David Park

I'm still available any time (unfortunately). I should be participating in a VCDL Garand Clinic and Match this weekend, and maybe the long gun practice will help me prepare for moving targets.