The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2001, 12:07 AM   #1
JohnKSa
Staff

A friend has a muzzle loader that appears to be quite old. The only markings on the gun are the letters AEP in a rectangle. The rectangle has lines radiating from the corners and the midpoints of the sides.

The only reference I've found to AEP is to a gun company called Anciens Etablissment Papier. I just told you everything I know about them...

The mark is not in any of my books, and AEP is only mentioned in one place in one book of all the books I checked.

Any ideas?
Old April 13, 2001, 08:06 AM   #2
Munro Williams

I ran a GOOGLE search and hit on nothing. Could you let us know a few more details about the piece?
Old April 13, 2001, 09:09 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Not sure about anything else but Anciens Etablissment Papier is one of the gunmakers from Herstal Belguim. From what I can gather so far (very little) they seemed to be a maker of pistols, but not positive.
As stated above, the more information you can give about the firearm, the better to help find an answer for you.
Old April 14, 2001, 01:11 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I haven't seen the gun. All I know is that it is a muzzle loading rifle. He thought it was made in the 1800s, but even without seeing it, I think the odds are pretty heavily against that.

Next time I see it, I'll try to squeeze him for some more information...

Thanks