The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 4, 2014, 04:23 PM   #1
jeager106

Brief range report.

I cleaned up the "no name" black powder revovler, lubed it, charged it with
25 grains of 3fg Swiss, .454 balls, #11 caps, card wad over powder, no lube over the ball.
It started raining hard just as I capped the thing but benched it
at 25 yards anyway.
I managed to put 5 shots into 2 1/4 inch with a flyer out to 3 1/2 inches.
I think it shoots pretty darned good for the $80 bucks I paid for it.
I'll have a lot of fun with this inexpensive play toy.
I wish I could regulate the fixed sights to hit p.o.a. tho.
It hits 2 inches high & about that to the right.

HI MIKE!!!!!!
Old June 4, 2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Mike Weber

Howdy Del:
Glad you got that issue with your stuck nipples sorted out.
Most of em do shoot high back during the CW they set the sites up for 100 yards. Don't ask me why? Then when they started making repro C&B guns they set the sites up the same way. I don't mess around with the sites much just find out where they are hitting at given ranges and adjust my aim accordingly. This has always been more of an issue for me with Remington clones than with Colts as the Colts tend to shoot closer to POA for me.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old June 4, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3
jeager106

Mike I suspect that "back in the day" a handgun was a point & shoot propostion anyway.
I've read some accounts of the Civil War that officers shot at the belt buckle area of an enemy target hoping to hit in the chest area.
Few inlisted men owned revolvers from what I've read about those times.
Old June 4, 2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Mike Weber

Most musketry training of that time also recommended aiming for the belt buckle for a chest hit.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old June 5, 2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Hellgate

At 75 feet, 2" high & 2" right is pretty darned good. If you were daring, you could cut the notch a little over to the left a bit. The formula for correction is:
Correction X is to the sight radius as 2.5" is to 900 inches (distance to target). If your sight radius is 10" then the equation to solve is X/10=2.5/900
X=25/900 which is .028" correction to "move" the rear sight over. I.E. you could file/cut/dremel the rear notch so its center is moved over about .03" to bring it to zero off windage wise.

Before touching the sights I would shoot it more with different loads and maybe even different ball sizes like .451 or .457 and 20 & 30 gr powder charges. Also shooting the gun a bit might make it settle in to where the POI might shift a bit. I would be happy with that lille windage being off at that distance. Also shooting the gun from a rest vs two handed vs one handed will make a big difference where it hits so try different holds before messing with the sights.

Most of my Colt style C&Bs have the rear notch deepened a bit and widened or tweaked to one side a bit from how they came from the factory. Deepening the notch will also lower the POI. If a gun is shooting very high you can grind down the hammer tip to lower the rear sight and recut the notch.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 5, 2014, 08:43 AM   #6
jeager106

I've done that widen notch trick & it works if careful.
Since this is no historically correct repro, being stainless with white plastic grips (uggghhh), I could file a dovetail, install a fixed back sight, even do the same for the front, & drift adjust them.
Might one day.
For now I'll just play with loads as that's fun as heck.
"Didja hit it? Don't know. Can't see for all the smoke!"

Smelling the white smoke got me addicted again. Might have to play with my .40, .45, & .58 flinters. All handmade by Keith Lilse, a.k.a. birddog6.
Anyone hear from him as he was active on black powder forums?
birddog6, rifle maker.