The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Over/Under Recommendations With $1k Budget

First up---I don't know jack about over/unders so I'm ready to be educated.

My father-in-law had his stolen two weeks ago out of his truck and is looking for a new one under $1k, must "look good, shoot good, and be extremely reliable."

His primary use will be shooting clays/skeet.

So, I'm sure they're a few models that fit that description. All suggestions welcome

Last edited by Mrgunsngear; June 10, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Here is an excellent response from a member at ShotgunWorld.com:

Quote:
I've got $0-$600 to spend
Look, I hear you. You want an Over/Under because that's what everybody has. Your options at this price point are limited. Understand what you are getting into and that you're not going to be the next Anthony Matarese with a CZ. There are some guns in this range that have better reputations (like the CZ and other Huglu branded guns). There are others with not-so-great reputations. Understand at this level that there is a greater likelihood that you're going to have problems. For somebody that shoots about 1000 rounds a year or less, you will probably get along OK with a CZ, Mossberg Silver Reserve, or a Yildiz (if you live in the Southeast near an Academy Sports).

For target shooting, I think there are much better options in this price range than an Over/Under. The Mossberg 930 series Semiautomatic is a great choice if you have to have something new. Another great new choice is the Beretta 390 that some big-box stores are selling right around $550. If you are confident in your gun-buying ability or you're just feeling lucky, a used Remington 1100, Browning Gold, Winchester SX2/3, or a Beretta 390/391 are all good choices for target guns.

I've got $600 - $800 to spend
We're into the range where careful shoppers can come out with a nice gun. If you are looking for something new, your first stop is CDNN Investments (http://www.cdnninvestments.com, download the latest catalog). CDNN is retailing a bunch of Lanber 2087 and 2097 shotguns in this range. Lanber guns are reliable and to me handle like a Browning. You can get them in nice target configurations with 30" barrels.

Another new option is the Savage Milano. While these guns are not in production anymore, they have been selling in the $800 range from places like Bass Pro. I don't expect these guns to be for sale much longer. I feel that the Savage Milano (A F.A.I.R. gun) feel most like a Beretta.

On the used gun market, you have more options. Typically in this range you will find older Browning/Beretta/SKB guns with either fixed chokes or short (26") barrels. At one time 26" barrels were all the rage in skeet, so it's not that they're bad, they're just not as desirable today as longer barrels.

I've got $800 - $1200 to spend
This is the sweet spot for bargain hunters. Most of your bargains in this range are going to come from people selling nicely equipped entry-level upper grade guns. Here you're going to start to see things like older Browning Citoris with 28" and 30" barrels. You will also start to see Beretta 68x with Mobilchoke barrels in this range. Another good gun in this range is a Franchi.

Every now and then something will show up in this range that the discriminating buyer will recognize as a deal. Nicely equipped guns like an LL Bean (by SigArms/B.Rizinni) or Weatherby guns (by SKB) will start showing up in this range. Most guns in this range are going to be 28" or 30" barrels.

If you are looking for new, you want to navigate over to CDNN. They have been closing out some Winchesters and Weatherby guns under $1000 with decent barrel lengths. Again, these guns are not current production, but what do you care?

I've got $1200 - $2000 to spend
This is the sweet spot for the target shooter that wants to start getting serious about his equipment but doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg to do it. Toward the bottom of this range ($1200 - $1500) you will be looking at former kings of competition; Browning 425/Ultra/GTi, Beretta 686/687/or a well used 682, and Modern SKBs. In the upper end of this range, you will find the more desirable barrel lengths and better wood.

Most guns in this range are going to be current production guns, but used.

Be educated in this range on what your options are. Some of the F.A.I.R. guns or the B.Riz guns that fall into this range are hidden gems.

If you are patient, you may even find a used Caesar Guerini in this range.

Most guns in this range are going to be 30" or 32" barrels.

Be patient, you will find what you are looking for on the used market. It helps to understand what the gun you are looking for sells for new.

Also, if you are looking for new guns, you should take a look at CDNN Investments again. They run specials on nicely equipped target guns that are closeouts from some of the bigger manufacturers. Recently they have had some very nice Browning Cynergys and 525s in the $1400- $1800 range. In fact, CDNN has some nice JP Saur Sohn branded Caesar Guerinis selling at $1800 or below.

I've got $2000 - $5000 to spend
You're getting serious about your shotgunning now. Here you will be looking at new guns with all the bells and whistles you are looking for. The big names in this range are Browning, Beretta, and Caesar Guerini.

A hidden gem in this range is the Zoli guns from Antonio Zoli.

Feel and fit is important in this range, because you're going to have this gun for a long time. If you are oddly shaped like me, a fitted gun may be in your future and you'll be able to find one in this range.
Pay attention to the 800-1200 range
Old June 10, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3
pete2

I would suggest a used Citori instead of one of the Turkish or Brazil made guns.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Method

My first post was totally incorrect. Somehow I completely missed the intended use (i.e. clay sports).

Check out the used racks. If there isn't one nearby, you can always check out the gun library at Cabela's online. I purchased a used O/U Winchester sporting model for just over $1200 a year ago, and there were others for less.

Last edited by Method; June 10, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Sorry, but Stoegers are NOT reliable, and since the intended use is clay targets, and from his FIL's comment about being reliable, I would not look at them or the CZ. While owned by Benelli (BTW Benellis semis cost more than Berettas). Stoegers are cheap price point guns and made in countries with cheap labor and quality controls.

A nicely used Browning, Beretta or SKB can usually be found with some patience and diligence - either at your local club or online at places like GunsInternational.com or CDNN
Old June 11, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

Thanks guys.
Old June 11, 2013, 11:01 PM   #7
NYPD13

I use a CZ mallard for trap and sporting clays. Was a little skeptical about the $600 new price tag, but the quality is there and it works great for me. The only compromise I had to make was with the trigger, this base model only comes with double triggers instead of a selectable.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:13 AM   #8
PetahW

What exactly did your Dad have stolen ?

If it was a Browning or Beretta Sporting Clays O/U, it "might" be possible to stumble across a used replacement for $1500-$2000 or so - but I doubt that a serious/reliable new SC O/U can be found for anywhere near $1K.

The tough nut to crack with most of the various Turkish-made guns (Mossberg, Savage, etc) is the reliability issue - and they all have plenty of "bling" (aka: look good).

As posted above, while they're sometimes "ok" for the occasional hunter, they just won't stand the gaff of competition shooting.

Old June 12, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Mrgunsngear

What exactly did your Dad have stolen ?

A tractor, 4 wheeler, 1187 (but wants an o/u now) and a Glock 19 from his farm truck. He's an old redneck that lives in 20 miles from anything and had a false sense of safety from his remote location.
Old June 14, 2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Mrgunsngear

Well his Browning Citori showed up today. He busted his budget by $1200 but he's a happy camper
Old July 6, 2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Mrgunsngear

Of course I charged him a "finders fee" of letting me play with it all weekend Great gun. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old July 6, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
MattShlock

I was gonna say... If your dad is a regular range sports shooter he knows, or will soon know through his fellow shooters, exactly what to buy. He made a good choice.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:08 PM   #13
Dreaming100Straight

I have had a Citori for nearly a year and a half and am getting to appreciate it more and more. There are other fine guns, but your Dad made a good choice.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
joe45c

nice looking gun, now hopefully he won't store it in his pickup.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
nice looking gun, now hopefully he won't store it in his pickup.
I already talked to him about this!
Old July 9, 2013, 03:40 PM   #16
BombthePeasants

You could tape 2 Maverick 88's together! That's only about $500 at Wal-Mart. BOOM! DONE!
Old July 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #17
pathdoc

You could tape 2 Maverick 88's together!

Shades of Ripley's lashup at the end of Aliens!
Old July 9, 2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Idahokid

trap gun

I use a 1976 Citori for clays and it works good.I also look on Cabelas gun library.Lots of deals on Franchi,Lanber,Winchester 101's.