The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 14, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1
young mosin

mossberg HELP!

Alright so i bought a mossberg 500 two years ago. It was in fine condition but there was 1 thing that was wrong, the barrel nut was turn too tight it looked like someone used a monkey wrench to tourq it! i want to get the barrel off so i can get the dowel out for if i go shooting but the barrel just wont come off!

Also the safety button was broke in two when i got it along with a screw that wasnt for the gun at all! i bought a new kit for it and it fitted all right but it keeps sliding up and down. like its not clicking on the little sphere.

any remedies for my mossbergs condition?
Old October 14, 2010, 05:36 PM   #2
idek

Do you have any gunsmiths in the area? For little piddly problems, having someone else take care of it for a small fee can save a headache.

I once wanted to remove the front sight on my Ruger 10/22. It's supposed to slide out, but mine was stuck really tight. Several different attempts to dislodge it failed, and the whole time I trying to pound it out, I was concerned I might damage something. I took it to a nearby Gander Mountain. For a flat fee of $5, the gunsmith had it taken care of in about 5 minutes.

...or I suppose you could just get a monkey wrench and try to undo what the last monkey wrench did.

I needed the safety fixed on my Mossberg too. I believe it is the one problem that is common with 500s. A gunsmith is no doubt very familiar with the issue and could fix it quickly.
Old October 15, 2010, 05:59 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The barrel bolt can be removed using a channel lock or vice grip plier if it is on too tight...

As for the safety, you do have the spring in the hole of the receiver for the detent ball? And then the only other issue would be the little thin plate of metal that is under the plastic safety tab.

Brent
Old October 18, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Wrap the barrel nut with an old t-shirt to avoid scratching it--channel locs and be carefull not to give it a full on death grip---just squeeze as much as needed and nothing more. Make sence?
-------Metallica