Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
orchidhunter

Let's Close The Gunshow Loophole

Are you with us on this?
Old January 19, 2009, 09:00 PM   #2
LucifersPants

Generally speaking I'm with myself and my family.

Who exactly constitutes 'us'?
Old January 19, 2009, 09:03 PM   #3
hoytinak

I still don't understand what the whole "gunshow loophole" is.....how is it different than any other FTF deal?
Old January 19, 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
dmwphoto

I am definitely not with you on this.
This is the start to the end of private gun sales and that has no place in america.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:06 PM   #5
dmwphoto

to answer Hoytinak they wish to ask private citizens to apply for a vendors license and pay a large tax to sell privately at gun shows.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:06 PM   #6
LucifersPants

Quote:
I still don't understand what the whole "gunshow loophole" is.....how is it different than any other FTF deal?
There's nothing to understand...the gun-grabbers invented the 'loophole' to use as another sound-bite and talking point to sell gun control to the general public, most of whom no nothing about firearms or gun shows.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:08 PM   #7
LucifersPants

Orchidhunter is strangely silent....hmmm. Maybe the Bat-signal was switched on, and he had to run out and save another life.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:13 PM   #8
orchidhunter

A lot of FFL dealers ar now starting to lobby for the change, and we need all the support we can get. orchidhunter
Old January 19, 2009, 09:15 PM   #9
DonR101395

The ever elusive gunshow loop hole. I've asked every anti-gunner who has approached me to tell me what that loop hole consists of and to date not one has been able to tell me what it actually is. It's simple, there is no such thing.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:17 PM   #10
LucifersPants

Quote:
to answer Hoytinak they wish to ask private citizens to apply for a vendors license and pay a large tax to sell privately at gun shows.
Ah yes, lets not forget the TAX...so I pay sales tax when I buy the gun in the first place, then I have to pay the governement AGAIN when I sell the thing. Fantastic...what's next? An air tax? How about mandatory pay toilets in private residences? I wonder what they'd do with the money...pass it out to deadbeats perhaps?
Old January 19, 2009, 09:29 PM   #11
orchidhunter

dmwphoto, Your right on target, all firearm sales must be thru a FFL dealer. It's your FFL dealers that are going to do this to you. orchidhunter
Old January 19, 2009, 09:33 PM   #12
hoytinak

Quote:
The ever elusive gunshow loop hole. I've asked every anti-gunner who has approached me to tell me what that loop hole consists of and to date not one has been able to tell me what it actually is. It's simple, there is no such thing.
Bingo....someone gets it.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:34 PM   #13
alloy

Quote:
A lot of FFL dealers ar now starting to lobby for the change, and we need all the support we can get. orchidhunter
:barf:
Old January 19, 2009, 09:46 PM   #14
B. Lahey

No.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:53 PM   #15
orchidhunter

Well, I got to get back under the bridge, here comes one on foot. orchidhunter

Last edited by orchidhunter; January 20, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:43 PM   #16
kirpi97

I have been red carded for stepping over the line. I will spend my time in the penalty box for my infraction. But my answer remains the same, "No." I do not support it. I like my privacy being just that, mine.

Since politics and religion are forbidden, ____ save us from our stupidity.

Last edited by kirpi97; January 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: I did a bad thing. I got my mouth washed out with soap.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:25 PM   #17
jfrey123

Let's not, and say we did.... Since there is not a real loop hole to be concerned with.

Dealers are already required to run checks on all transfers, and forcing private parties to run checks will only cause them to sell in back alleys.... Where unsavvy people are known to congregate....
Old January 19, 2009, 11:28 PM   #18
NavyLT

A. There is no gun show loophole.

B. Don't mess with private sales.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:29 PM   #19
azredhawk44

Orchidhunter, I'm not sure if you're a troll or a secret Bradyite, but it's just wrong.

There is no gunshow loophole. There is only private party transfer. Which I whole-heartedly support and will always support.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:41 PM   #20
MosinM38

I think his one post answered that.

Although I will say they are amusing to watch.,
Old January 20, 2009, 12:16 AM   #21
hillbillyshooter

OrchidHunter,
I am very against you on this. No, I am not with you on this and hope few are.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:44 AM   #22
BillCA

The only FFL's I know of that might support it, do so only because the sale of "used" guns between private parties can become another revenue stream by which they can make a profit.

Sales of legal products, conducted between private citizens, are not the business of the government. That's regardless of whether it's a TV, drill press or a firearm.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:45 AM   #23
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting way to stir the pot, orchidhunter. If that is what you are doing, you just aren't long for TFL.

Specifically, who is the us you are referring to? The only FFL's I can think of that would buy into this, are already residents of restrictive States.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:13 AM   #24
Cerick

I love my rights and all but aren't FTF transfers/sales the way alot of criminals obtain guns? Correct me if im wrong, because they sure cant buy guns from a store.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:25 AM   #25
vranasaurus

Quote:
I love my rights and all but aren't FTF transfers/sales the way alot of criminals obtain guns? Correct me if im wrong, because they sure cant buy guns from a store.
It's not the face to face sales that represent the problem with criminals getting guns. Many times it is a straw purchase that leads to the criminals getting the guns which is already illegal under federal law.

Some guy goes to a gun store passes the background check and purchases two pistols with the intent to sell them to some criminals this is a straw purchase, and this is how many criminals get their guns.

Criminals don't look at classifieds, internet forums, or gun shows to get their guns. They know how to get around the law and the best way is to know someone with a clean record that can pass the background check.

The ways criminals get guns today, theft or straw purchase, is already illegal under federal law. Closing this feaux loophole will do nothing to stop the problem since the criminals will continue to have someone purchase the guns for them. Do you think they are going to go to the FFL to get them transferred especially since they and their accomplices have already violated federal law?
Closed Thread