The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
hlds54

glock triggers: 3.5lbs connector, NY1 trigger spring, and 25 cents trigger job?

So for a while, I've had a 3.5lbs connector in my gen 3 g19. I recently put the NY1 spring in, becouse I had heard it was a good combination, making the trigger pull smoother. Im not completely sold on it, its about 2-3 lbs heavier than the stock trigger, I expected it to be heavier, but not that heavy. So my question is, if I did the 25 cent trigger job would it make it a little lighter? Also, have any of you done this set up, trigger job and all? Let me know what you think or have experienced.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:20 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Id suggest....

Id get a copy of Morgan Boatman's non fiction book; www.CustomizeyourGlock.com or www.Glockbooks.com .
Boatman's father; Robert put out the Living With book about the Glock series. He suggested carrying/shooting the Glock models factory stock, .

I do not own or carry any Glock pistols at the moment but I wouldn't tinker around with it & add a boat load of extras. It will shoot fine just from the factory floor.

CF
Old October 21, 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I got one. Didn't like it at all.

My preferred Glock trigger is:

- Standard connector
- Wolff 6lb trigger spring
- Lightning Strike titnaium striker block

Lighter and smoother than factory, but still a crisp break. The 3.5lb connectors make the trigger much more mushy. The + connector is even more crisp, but it's just a bit too heavy in my opinion.
Old October 21, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
giaquir

At the time except for my carry Glock 26,I installed a 3.5 connector;
light spring kit and a 25 cent trigger job.All the Glocks had a nice light
smooth pull. As things go I installed a trigger safety on my
G26 and gave it the works. without a safety the triggers
were way too light to carry the handgun IMO.
One of the Glocks where the trigger bar glides on those two
nubs of the frame I stoned the bar and the trigger group
was really light.I won't do that again.
I have only one Glock now,a G34 and 25 cent trigger job only.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:44 PM   #5
9x19

I never cared for the NY trigger springs.

Since the 34 first came out, my setup has been the 3.5 connector with a standard spring. I also polish the trigger bar, connector and striker tab.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:53 PM   #6
jcshelto

Try the Gen4 "dot" connector in a Gen3. Feels awesome, crisp lightens the trigger just a tad.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

That's funny. My setup is exactly that and I am in love with it.

NY1 Olive trigger spring, Minus connector, and polished the contact points.
AMAZING trigger with an amazing reset that throws your finger forward. If you think Glock had the best audible trigger reset out of the box..that setup I have, that your inquiring about makes the factory reset and trigger pull look like a joke.

Try it, you'll love it. Ignore the dry firing. I did the same thing and "wasn't sold on it" until I took it to the range the next day and actually fired it.

I love my Glock 19 set up. Loaded with +p+ 127gr Ranger T's.

Do it!!!
Old October 22, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
hlds54

Constantine,

Good advice. I haven't actually shot it yet, but definitely will, then determine weather or not to keep it in this set up.
Old October 22, 2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Once you shoot it, I have a pretty huge feeling you'll report back to me personally and say how much you like it. If you have any questions or want help with anything, PM me where I can provide you with some info and such.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:04 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Im not completely sold on it, its about 2-3 lbs heavier than the stock trigger, I expected it to be heavier, but not that heavy.
The "-" connector (sometimes called the 3.5lb connector) when combined with the NY1 spring usually doesn't change the overall pull weight significantly but it does increase the pull weight early in the trigger pull.

In other words, you'll have to apply about the same peak amount of force, but you'll have to maintain that force throughout the entire trigger stroke instead of having it increase towards the end.

I have a couple of Glocks set up this way and it seems to work very well at the range.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Revoltella

The trigger pull is supposed to feel heavier, the NY Trigger was designed to mimic the feel of a revolver. It's heavier, but smoother and with less take up.

I prefer the stock trigger, in fact it was the first thing that impressed me about Glocks. And that was coming from 1911s and a BHP I traded towards a 19.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:26 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The trigger pull is supposed to feel heavier, the NY Trigger was designed to mimic the feel of a revolver.
The NY1 definitely results in a heavier trigger pull when used with the standard connector.

When used with the "-" connector, it results in a trigger pull with a very different character but with a peak pull weight that is not changed significantly from the stock setup.

The Glock 17 I have equipped with a "-" connector and an NY1 registers a trigger pull weight of 5lbs 8oz on my trigger gauge while another G17 I have left with the stock setup registers a trigger pull weight of 5lbs 7oz.
Old October 22, 2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

Constantine,

I have the exact same setup on ALL my Glocks.

Never looked back once I put in the 3.5 connector and the NY-1.

Even my IDPA gun has that setup!

I have found no loss in accuracy at all.

BUT. I have also shot a Glock with a NY-2 trigger. AWFUL!!! 12 lb pull.

There is to little, enough, and to much.

The 3.5/NY-1 combo is just right for me.

Deaf
Old October 22, 2013, 10:38 PM   #14
Nakanokalronin

I tried the 3.5 "_" Glock connector and NY1 spring combo and took out the NY1 spring only. It turns the trigger into a different DAO animal. My G19 and carry G26 only have a "-" Glock connector with everything else stock now.
Old November 23, 2013, 10:16 PM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
So for a while, I've had a 3.5lbs connector in my gen 3 g19. I recently put the NY1 spring in, becouse I had heard it was a good combination, making the trigger pull smoother. Im not completely sold on it, its about 2-3 lbs heavier than the stock trigger, I expected it to be heavier, but not that heavy. So my question is, if I did the 25 cent trigger job would it make it a little lighter? Also, have any of you done this set up, trigger job and all? Let me know what you think or have experienced.
Based on my own experimentation, ignore all the trigger mods (except polishing). Go back to a stock factory trigger.

I tried the 3.5lb connector/NY1 combo. Did not like it. I swapped the factory parts back at the range.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 23, 2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

^ 100% opposite feeling about the NY1 and minus connector! I am enamored with my setup in my Glock 19. Never felt a better striker fired trigger other than this.

What didn't you like about it lee?
Old November 23, 2013, 11:04 PM   #17
RX-79G

I used to compete IDPA with a NY1 trigger and standard connector. It was still a very light and controllable trigger pull. I never understood why people were putting the target model connector in their combat pistols that already had 5.5 pound triggers.
Old November 23, 2013, 11:27 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
^ 100% opposite feeling about the NY1 and minus connector! I am enamored with my setup in my Glock 19. Never felt a better striker fired trigger other than this.

What didn't you like about it lee?
"Didn't feel right" and it complicated the takedown. Also, it pushed the trigger forward, even if the gun was fired and empty.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
"Didn't feel right" and it complicated the takedown. Also, it pushed the trigger forward, even if the gun was fired and empty.
Well the slide should lock back regardless. If someone rides the slide stop and goes forward again it'll reset the trigger even with the factory setup.

I agree with the takedown. It's not an issue at all to me. But it does change that up to a point where it's not the same as a normal setup. I'm just alright with it.
Old November 24, 2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Deaf Smith

How does a NY-1 complicate takedown?

Deaf
Old November 24, 2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
How does a NY-1 complicate takedown?

Deaf
You just have to either keep your finger on the trigger when you take it down or you have I press it a second time. Not a big deal at all. I'll try and post a video.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:22 PM   #22
RX-79G

It's not an issue.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:24 PM   #23
TxFlyFish

and theres the maritime spring cups

Just leave the triggers stock, I feel its pretty easy to shoot the stock setup
Old November 24, 2013, 03:50 PM   #24
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFlyFish View Post
and theres the maritime spring cups

Just leave the triggers stock, I feel its pretty easy to shoot the stock setup
The stock triggers are great. This setup which is pretty much factory but not stock is just better for a lot of people.
Old November 24, 2013, 04:45 PM   #25
jmr40

My $.02 My only experience with the 3.5 lb connector was on a used gun I bought. The factory parts were still in the box so I had a chance to try both. I have found the factory 5.5 lb setup to work best. There is a little take up as you pull the trigger, but after that the trigger is as crisp as anything I've fired. I'd rather have a crisp 5-6 lb trigger than a mushy 3-4 lb trigger.