The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 31, 2000, 11:58 AM   #1
echo3mike

O.K., so I have enough handguns, (for now). But since Glocks are so talked about on this site, I'ld love to hear the pros and cons about these weapons, since I'll probably buy another gun at some point in my life.

Note: I'm happy with my USP, and REALLY happy, (to the point of euphoria), with my P228.

Thanks in advance
S.

------------------
We deal in lead, friend.
Old October 31, 2000, 12:35 PM   #2
Fred

Well, I'm also REALLY happy with my 228, as well as my 220 and 229! Have a few other assorted handguns that I like for certain reasons. Always had a snide comment to make about Glocks -- until I tried one. My son talked me into renting a Glock 19 one time. We both shot well with it, and I appreciated its light weight. Now own 4 of the ugly beasties! Really like the fact that they seem to go bang every time, are easy to work on, lightweight, consistent trigger pull, and lefty-friendly.

------------------
Regards - AZFred
Old October 31, 2000, 12:41 PM   #3
BadMedicine

I've never owned a glock, but I'm thinking about getting one for protection, and to carry in the woods, and cuz I need one

I saw at a sportsman show a model of glock that was in .357mag. This is what I REALLY want. Does anyone know what model glock makes a .357?? Thanx.
Old October 31, 2000, 12:49 PM   #4
Dark Avenger

The caliber is actually .357Sig and the models are 31, 32, and 33 I believe.

------------------
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams
Old October 31, 2000, 01:08 PM   #5
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Greetings Posters-

Man Oh! Man, I'm so glad you are happy with your current sidearms, ie: the Sig's, H&K's,
BPH's, and Beretta's. But wait a minute-
Everyone needs to own at least one Glock. I've owned three so far, a 17,
23, and 27. Traded away the 17 and the 23; in
favor of the Sig's P220, P226 (9m/m), and P228. But I did keep the 27, as I use it for
My Offical Carry Piece. Come on, shouldn't every gun owner own a piece of
"Combat Tupperware"?

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old October 31, 2000, 02:10 PM   #6
Long Path

Closing this thread in General Discussion NOT because it's been done before or because of the inevitible hollering that'll be done over it, but because it belongs in Handguns and Pistols Forum.

And so off it goes....

Enjoy.

L. P.
Old October 31, 2000, 02:39 PM   #7
KilgorII

For the woods you would be better served by a Glock 20 10mm. Bigger bullet moving very fast. Ammo availability may be a problem for both .357 SIG and 10mm. You can order them off of the internet all day long though and if you reload...

Old October 31, 2000, 02:53 PM   #8
Icopy

Pros -- Reliable, reliable, reliable, and reliable. did i mention Glocks are reliable? Hi-cap mags are available for most models. Best customer service of any firearm manufacturer I've experienced. Lightwieght, fairly accurate, newer models are very ergonomic and accept weapon lights.

Cons -- Once you buy one, you need to buy another. No, wait. That's a pro.
Old October 31, 2000, 03:04 PM   #9
CMOS

Um, unsupported chamber...

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

CMOS's Site
Old October 31, 2000, 03:26 PM   #10
Kentucky Rifle

My Glock 27 is my favorite pistol. For some strange reason, it's my most accurate pistol also. I've talked to several other people at the range and the G27 always seems to be more accurate that the larger .40 caliber Glocks. It a strange thing that makes me REAL happy. My 27 always makes me look better than I am.

Will
Old October 31, 2000, 03:58 PM   #11
Greg Bell

See my recent crappy things about...the Glock. We tried to come up with every shortcoming of the Glock'
Old October 31, 2000, 04:10 PM   #12
MountainGun44

I have had a Glock 19 for 11 years. It has never failed to function with factory ammo (it jammed with some cheesy reloads at a range once- I stripped the gun and showed the rangemaster that the rounds were uncrimped and would not fit in the barrel- he gave me my money back.)

I rarely clean it. I feel it is more reliable than any of my revolvers. If I had to keep only one handgun it would be my Glock.
Old October 31, 2000, 08:45 PM   #13
RHC

You shouldn't consider a Glock because once you have one you'll want about ten of them.
Old October 31, 2000, 09:38 PM   #14
thequickad

I noticed the only production 9mm that's more accurate than the Glock is the P7M8 series due to the fix-bbl. The Glock is on the par, accuracy wise, with the SIG. It is reliable, light-weight, durable and reasonably priced.

[Edited by thequickad on 12-24-2000 at 01:48 PM]
Old October 31, 2000, 09:50 PM   #15
Red Bull

I just really can't believe how often I hear people say that they used to hate Glocks and put them down, and then they try one and they like it.
Make me wonder about other people who hate Glocks....have they even tried one?

I have absolutely no problem with people that have tried Glocks and they are not for them, but I don't get people that blindly rip on them and put other people down for using them.

My friends hated Glocks too, used to make fun of me for being one of the first people to own the fantastic plastic. Then after years of me hitting my target and having no failures to fire, they all now own Glocks and swear by them.

The best reason not to buy a Glock is that they are addictive, and you will buy more. Oh, and also, some idiots with inferiority complexes will chide you for carrying a Glock because it has become so popular and they work so well right out of the box, but have no fear, you will be in good company.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old October 31, 2000, 10:06 PM   #16
dk6

echo3mike, this Glock thing is kind of hard to explain. My son is with the sheriffs office here, and talked constantly about the Glock 22 issued by his dept. Out of the blue, my wife asks for a Glock for Christmas,
so faster than you can say Gaston Glock, we were at the gun shop fitting her hand to a G23. After shooting the pistol, I wanted one to. A G27 was the next addition followed by a G30. I have put many rounds through my 2 pistols and have yet to experience any type of malfunction.
3 of the last 4 handguns I have purchased have been Glocks.
If you have not shot one I would recommend finding a range that will rent a Glock to you.

[This message has been edited by dk6 (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 09:24 AM   #17
Icopy

RedBull --

I'm one of those people who hated Glocks until I actually shot one. My reason? At first the grip felt really wierd. Then once I got used to it, all other guns feel wierd, with the exception of my MKIII.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:23 AM   #18
loknload

Yep.... I to was one of those people who said that they would never own a Glock, Ugliest gun ever made I said Wellll one day I spotted one in my local emporium and it caught my eye I bought the darn thing That is how I ended up with my Md# 27. I like it Now my main carry piece,like WLM said it makes me look good at the range. More accurate then my Beretta 8040. No kidding this gun was fantastic right out of the tupperware box it came in.
I like it so much I may have to get another A 33 or a 36 could be in my future

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous
Old November 1, 2000, 08:17 PM   #19
Gino

PRO:
VERY reliable
VERY durable
VERY VERY corrosion resistant
Light weight
Small package for the firepower
The same trigger pull each shot

CON:
The worst trigger ever invented
A very extreme grip angle that doesn't fit many people

If the Glock fits your hand and you can get used to the trigger, it is a GREAT gun. However, like all other guns on the market, the Glock design does not fit everyone.
Old November 2, 2000, 11:10 AM   #20
Hemphill

Here's why I think you shouldn't buy a Glock. 1. Of the two I have owned(22 and 23) both had major structural failres. The G22 had a slide fracture, and later the chamber damaged. Glock did replace the slide, and later the barrel. The G23's frame cracked and was replaced. To me, a 100% failure rate was more than reason enough to stop buying Glocks. 2. The Glock can fire the most out of battery of any pistol I have seen. I had a KB! becuase of this. 3. Contrary to popular opinion, their customer service stinks. The two times I sent my G22 in, there were problems in getting the parts needed, and the last time, the pistol was sent to the wrong address. 4. You seem to like the DA/SA trigger mechanism. If it works for you, why change it? The Glock safe action is different enough to cause some problems. 5. Finally, for me they point too high.

[This message has been edited by Hemphill (edited November 02, 2000).]
Old November 2, 2000, 11:38 AM   #21
J. Parker

echo3mike; First of all let's debunk this Glock mythical facade. Glock's are no better or worse than anyother QUALITY handgun on the market today. If there's a round in the chamber it's a holstered gun, period. And yes there are factory hi-caps available if your financally independent. They come with some sort of plastic front sight. In that price spectrom I would expect more. From the factory they normally come with a 51/2 lb. trigger so keep that thing holstered!Best Regards, J. Parker
Old November 2, 2000, 01:11 PM   #22
JMack

Hemphill,

My god,,,and all this time I thought I had bad luck throughout my life!

After reading your post I no loger feel that way, my 22 and 23 have never had a single malfunction.

Too bad for you but great for me

~Jason
Old November 2, 2000, 01:12 PM   #23
pete80

Have a GLOCK 21, experienced many problems with it. Light primer strikes, Failure-to-feed, crap like that...

Looking for a good 1911 or Sig 220.
Old November 2, 2000, 04:25 PM   #24
damage

simply put great reliable guns
but

1 trigger sucks (mushy really mushy)
2 safety sucks (you BETTER know how to draw safely)
3 plastic front sight flying off when you fire them REALLY REALLY sucks (i mean really sucks)
4 Cha-ching $$$$ (did someone say factory mag)

Hey once you buy one you keep bying more because your still looking for a good gun, like shopping for slacks IMHO

Old November 2, 2000, 05:18 PM   #25
JMack

lot of what you are reading here is personal preferences and not actualy a short comming of the Glocks mechanics.

Those who says the Glock has a mushy trigger, I assure you that there is a whole bunch of us Glock owners that would prefer the trigger of the Glock over any other on the market.

Again, instead of asking why you shouldnt buy a Glock, why dont you go try one out for yourself and come to yourown conclutions. Its quite obvious many people here have many different opinions.

So I ask,,,,whats your opinion?

Isnt that the million dollar question?

~Jason