The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2001, 12:32 AM   #1
jtduncan

Seating and "Taper" Crimping 170/200 Grain LSWCs?

Thinking about ordering some Oregon Trail - Laser-Cast hard cast bullets.

Some of the 170 SWCs for my 10mm and 40SW guns - Glock 20 and SW 610.

And some 200 grain SWCs for my SW 625.

I have Lee dies and they are taper crimping.

Since I shoot both semi autos and revolvers in 10mm and 45 ACP, couldn't I just taper crimp them all for efficiency?

Is that going to affect my accuracy?

Will that crimp effectively seal those bullets or do I need to buy some roll crimping dies for these lead bullets?

Can't I just go a tad above the or below the roll crimp groove and taper crimp them?

Last edited by jtduncan; August 16, 2001 at 12:53 AM.
Old August 16, 2001, 01:24 AM   #2
Intel6

Most likely those bullets don't even have criming grooves. The regular types of of these bullets are made specifically for autos and won't have a crimp groove.

I load ammo different for my 625's than I do for the autos. I use a Redding Profile crimp that is a roll crimp that also gives a slight taper crimp for consitency. Since I load different ammo for my revolvers I don't shoot it in my autos.

In your case I would load the ammo like it would be used for an auto and taper crimp it. Then you could use it in your autos also. A decent taper crimp should work fine.

I use a specific headstamp of brass only for my revolvers and it only gets fired in them. I found that if I use brass from my autos it gets chewed up around the rim and sometimes hangs up in the revolvers. Since I started using a specific batch/headstamp of brass for my 625's and 610 I don't have any problems.
Old August 18, 2001, 07:37 AM   #3
MADISON

Taper Crimp EVERYTHING???

YES! I taper crimp 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 ACP. It makes no difference about lead, plated or jacketed. All work fine.