The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 9, 1999, 11:06 PM   #1
varminter

I am doing a semester final report on firearm silencers and suppressors and I would appreciate any info on this topic.I don't want to spend all my money ordering the books when I am only going to use them once for this paper and them throw them away. So please send info. Thank you Send to my e-mail address. Don't reply on this forum because I don't want others knowing this information because it would be a bad thing if it fell into the wrong hands.
Old May 10, 1999, 06:41 PM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Varminter;

Hmmmm "silencers" AND suppressors. Must not be a science project. <G>

While you will probably get some info from members of this TFL I suggest you buy the books. When you finish with them you can send them to the "Gunnery Sergeant Schmidbauer Living Library." The Library is considered living cause it is still growing and well... as they said in "The Holy Grail" I AIN'T DEAD YET! All contributions are not tax deductable.

Now. If you send ME an e-mail with the info/questions you have I'll try and answer them.

If you want to know how they work that is easy... think of a car muffler only straight.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old May 12, 1999, 12:55 AM   #3
Jeff OTMG

This will be the theory behind noise reduction with no specifics. The noise produced by a firearm is comprised of three elements. 1) the sonic boom of a bullet travelling faster than the speed of sound, 2) the noise of the action, and 3) the sound of the report. When concerned with handguns 1) is easy to accomplish by using sub-sonic ammo, that which travels under about 1100 fps. 9mm 147gr loads, most .45 ACP ammo, and standard velocity .22 lr would fall into this category. Sometimes rifles are supressed and sub-sonic ammo is not used. For some reason the shots sound as though they are coming from 90-180 degrees away from the actual point of origin. A very odd sensation. Action noise is a concern when using a semi-auto or full auto action as it throws empty brass all over and the bolt slaps back and forth. Ingram developed a ceramic washer for the bolt face of the MAC-10's that would help cut down on that noise so two pieces of metal would not be slapping together 800 time a minute. A revolver is not a good choice as the cylinder gap does not completely contain the burning gases. A single shot or bolt action is a good choice and some semi-auto pistols are equiped with a slide lock device turning them, effectively, into single shots. Lastly is the report. That noise is the result of a rapid, uncontrolled expansion, of hot gases. To reduce that noise you must cool the gases and control the expansion rate by redirecting them and slowing them down. Try a search on the Welrod pistol. It is a WWII British suppressed single shot pistol in .32 ACP which will illustrate how each of the three elements of noise were tackled. Good luck with the paper. See, no specifics on how, just theoretical information on what needs to be dealt with. You might try contacting AMF (American Machine and Foundry), the former owners of Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company, they did alot of work for the govt studying this stuff and they may be able to tell you where to get a copy, from the govt under the FOIA, of the report they did.
Old May 12, 1999, 06:57 PM   #4
SB

What's the difference between silencers, suppressors, and mufflers?
Old May 12, 1999, 09:28 PM   #5
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

>What's the difference between silencers, suppressors, and mufflers?<

Silencer - The round knob, sometimes a button with a downward pointing arrow, on your childs electronic music player that causes, by turning or pressure, the audio (noise) coming out of the speakers to be silenced.

Suppressor - a device utilized to reduce/slow the explosive expanding gases utilized to make energy. By reduce/slowing the gases the noise of the explosion is thereby reduced.

Muffler - Usually a knitted fibric that is worn around the neck during cold weather to "seal" the opening of a shirt/coat.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old May 12, 1999, 10:28 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Very good, gunny. I think anyone answering here should proceed with caution. Absolutely no offense intended to anyone, but answers to questions about NFA items to someone who you know nothing about (age, location, occupation, etc.) is ill advised. Don't forget the incident Bowman and Kane had at the gun show.

Well, nuff said, gotta go feed the hogs.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited May 12, 1999).]
Old May 13, 1999, 01:55 PM   #7
Bushwhacker

The web search has all kinds of information available here's a start;
http://altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin...=q&q=Silencers

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza
Old May 13, 1999, 02:40 PM   #8
Rob Pincus

"feed the hogs..." That's funny!
Old May 26, 1999, 06:01 AM   #9
Tom B

Heres a cheap clue "did you ever use glasspack mufflers on your hot rod when you were a teenager?"
Old May 26, 1999, 08:34 PM   #10
SB

Hehe. I thought I'd get some response like that. Had to ask anyways, hope you understand.