The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2002, 04:10 PM   #1
parabellum9x19

Do I have to get a California approved lock for my shotgun on the pick up day?

I just bought a Benelli M1S90 in California and will pick it up in 10 days. The gun store said I have to get a California approved lock for it on the pick up day. Is this true? Who sells a California approved lock online? Is there a list of California approved locks?

He also said I have to tell him the make and model number of the gun safe that I will store it in. Is this true?
Old June 9, 2002, 05:18 PM   #2
ocabj

every gun you purchase in california must come with a california approved gun lock, unless you sign a form that states that you own a gun safe and that your gun safe has room to store the gun in question (yes, the form asks you if you have room in your safe).

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm

that link will give you a listing of various approved "safety devices."

i'm assuming you are purchasing this gun from a ffl in california? your dealer should carry approved gun locks in the store if you do not own a safe.
Old June 9, 2002, 06:33 PM   #3
jayhway

Here's what a friend told me to do. To satisfy the law, you must of purchased the lock within 30 days of picking up the gun. So just buy a CA approved lock from Walmart and show it to your FFL. What you do with the lock after you pick up the gun is up to you.
Old June 10, 2002, 01:28 AM   #4
GunGeek

Quote:
I just bought a Benelli M1S90 in California and will pick it up in 10 days. The gun store said I have to get a California approved lock for it on the pick up day. Is this true? Who sells a California approved lock online? Is there a list of California approved locks?
Yes it is true, by saying you will need to get one on pickup day I am assuming he means he has one for you to buy and wanted to warn you to bring some cash to pay for it. He will have the list and be able to tell you which one.
Quote:
He also said I have to tell him the make and model number of the gun safe that I will store it in. Is this true?
Yes, but only if you do not plan on purchasing the lock on pickup day. Owning a safe that is certified is the way around the lock law.

Anyone else in california have the urge to ship thier locks to the capital COD? I think it would be rather funny and a strong statement.
Old June 10, 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
rick_reno

Shotgun locks..

In the land of sun and fun - does your signing something stating you have a safe open you up to having the DOJ show up on your doorstep and asking to see the safe? Does signing this thing open you up to visits to verify compliance?
Old June 10, 2002, 08:57 PM   #6
rugerfreak

This is a joke----right?????

You realize that your taxes are paying these morons livelyhood-------MOVE MOVE MOVE-----and let them rot in hell.
Old June 11, 2002, 03:19 AM   #7
GunGeek

Quote:
In the land of sun and fun - does your signing something stating you have a safe open you up to having the DOJ show up on your doorstep and asking to see the safe? Does signing this thing open you up to visits to verify compliance?
One word: YES
Old June 11, 2002, 05:52 AM   #8
C.R.Sam

Yep

And if you stated in writing that you had it and really didn't have it.

Fraud.

Vote em all out.

Sam
Old June 11, 2002, 08:18 PM   #9
HKguy9

Let's all mail them back to Sacramento! Hehehehe
Old June 12, 2002, 12:36 AM   #10
GunGeek

Quote:
Let's all mail them back to Sacramento! Hehehehe

LOL, this is exactly what I recomend to my customers! We should orginize a mass mailing so thousands of locks arrive in one week!!!