The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2002, 08:43 AM   #1
cuerno de chivo

Mossberg 835 Questions

Does the Mossberg 835 reliably feed 2.75" and 3" shells? I like the idea of the 3.5's payload but would like to be able use the cheap trap loads from Wal-Mart too. If I kept it loaded for "home defense", then I'd want the trap load reliability since I'd be using a light, 2.75" load in the house.

Are the Camo models synthetically stocked? I like to cut down my stocks to fit me.

Is it an overall rugged gun? I'd use it a lot. And it would get banged around like a "working gun" and not a "safe queen".

Most likely uses are hunting jack rabbits, coyotes, feral dogs, and hogs, self/home defense, and fun at the caliche pit.

TIA
Old June 2, 2002, 06:37 PM   #2
PWK

My son has an 835 which he shoots skeet with all the time and with the Winchester SuperSpeed 2 3/4" shells from Wal-Mart. In fact we all use those shells in my Browning Gold Auto and my other sons 1100.

As for the reliability of the 835 I dunno. We go quail and dove hunting and it does fine for that. Haven't had any problems mechanically. Check it out here: http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/model835.htm
Old June 2, 2002, 09:27 PM   #3
Popsicle

I never had any problems with the 835 I had. Used it extensively for sporting clays and skeet. I also hunted with it, but never fired a 3.5" shell out of it. Never had any intension to. I wanted the 835 cause I figured it was built just a little stouter for use with 3.5" shells. I too use the Wal-mart federal shells, and spent way more money on shells than I did for the gun. It never missed a beat. I sold it to a buddy on a budget, he has also shot the %$#@out of it, and it finally broke the safety. He did it while we were quail hunting... thought the gun was off safe and yanked the heck out of the trigger, which broke a piece in the trigger group. Heck, the gun still shoots great, and I am always hounding him to get it fixed. I would guess that 835 to have over 10,000 rounds through it, and if that doesn't speak for itself, I don't know what does.

Pat Brophy
Old June 2, 2002, 10:19 PM   #4
rugerfreak

Just one thing---don't shoot slugs through an 835---because of the oversize bore.