The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 15, 2001, 07:34 PM   #1
JNewell

Opinions on Python C.S. Mod

I'm looking for thoughts on whether or not to have the original barrel replaced on a Python, and would like to hear your thoughts.

The Python is an early 70s Custom Shop job with an 8 3/8" barrel. It's a dream. But, the barrel is l-o-n-g. (Duh! )

I'm thinking about having it replaced with a 4" or 6" barrel. Is there a good reason not to do this? Does it have "collector value" that I should be thinking about? Other issues? I have been told that once you unscrew one of those old barrels its threads are ruined and you can't reinstall it.
Old August 17, 2001, 01:14 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Don't tinker with it. If you want a shooter, buy a shooter.

BTW, the barrels have changed. The older Python like yours had a crush fit barrel which had a slight taper to the threaded area. The newer Pythons (starting somewhere in the '90s) had a straight barrel (ala S&W & Ruger). If you replace the barrel, be sure to get the right type.
Old August 17, 2001, 07:58 PM   #3
JNewell

Gary --

Thanks for the thoughts. Question -- do you think this Python isn't a shooter? I'm not arguing, just asking...obviously, I'm not sure, or I wouldn't have asked! It has crossed my mind that this nice Royal Blue 1970s Custom Shop Python might not be a shooter...but they aren't that rare or anything, are they? Is the 8 3/8" barrel unusual?

Thanks for the tip on the barrel -- I was aware of that. This is why it's an issue, I guess. Once the original barrel is removed, it won't be restorable to original factory condition.
Old August 18, 2001, 12:01 PM   #4
BADSBSNF81

A Colt Python out of the custom shop from the 70's is very collectable. The long bbbl was not normal, as most folks wanted 4 or 6 inch. IMHO you should leave it alone and not shoot it. It will continue to increase in value. Do you have the paperwork from the custom shop? If you want to shoot 357, buy another revolver (a shooter).
Old August 18, 2001, 12:08 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Personally, I wouldn't shoot it. I think those guns were a limited run around '78-'79 & they came out about the same time as the Python in .38 special. Check the BlueBook for more info on it.

As a sidenote, I have a friend who bought a 4 digit (very low) serial # Python which appears NIB. I told him to use mine instead when he wanted to shoot a Python. BTW, I bought both my Pythons used so I have no hesitation about shooting them.
Old August 19, 2001, 04:56 AM   #6
JNewell

Ahh, now the plain words -- thanks!

Bad, when you say "papers," do you mean more than the re-labeled box? If there was more, I don't have it -- I bought this (barely) used.

Gary, thanks. I have put only about 50 rounds of .38 Sp through this one. I traded even to the dealer for a mid-80s bright stainless 4" Python that had been back to Colt a couple of times and frankly never really was timed right. It seemed like a good trade! At any rate, this Python is everything that the Python ad copy always promised.

But I don't want to collect things like this, I want to shoot them. Any idea what this is worth, in cash?
Old August 19, 2001, 10:24 AM   #7
johnwill

You can certainly buy a very nice shooting revolver and have money left for ammo if you sell this one, I'd think that it would go for at least $600-700, maybe more.