The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 12, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1
bikerbill

Special K

I ran across a term I'm not familiar with, but I know somebody here has the answer. As my dad used to say, "Always a ready answer. Wrong, but ready."

In Brad Thor's new thriller "Act of War", (good read, by the way), one of the operatives has a suppressed Sig (caliber unknown) loaded with what they called Special K rounds. The implication is that they are loaded in such as way as to work with the suppressor to reduce further the sound emitted when the gun is fired.

Anybody know what a Special K round is? Handloads? Military only?
Old August 12, 2014, 08:12 AM   #2
TATER

147gr subsonic 9mm
Old August 12, 2014, 10:13 AM   #3
AK103K

Do a Google search on "Special K ammunition", you'll get a number of hits.

Looks like it was commercially for sale a few years back, and may still be. Sounds like its just another (gimmicky?) 147 grain 9mm, which is normally subsonic anyway.

Im usually skeptical about specialty loads, especially those who dont have real world back up data.

I use either Winchester 147 grain Ranger SXT's, or Federal 147 grain HST's, or my 147 grain reloads out of my suppressed Glocks, and they are pretty quiet, and a little more so, if you wet the can.

At close range, there really isnt a whole lot of difference between any of them, or at least what Ive noticed. It seems to be more noticeable when the bullet travels a distance, and is super sonic.