The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 8, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Lefty's kid

Black Powder Revolver & value???

I have 2 guns. Both are marked Armi San Marco Gardone V.T. and Black Powder only Cal.44 made in Italy. There is an engraving (naval battle scene?) with the words "Engaged 16 May 1843". The two black powder revolvers have Serial numbers that are 59724 and 59725. Can anyone tell me what they are? I know almost nothing about guns and inherited these when my father died. I believe it is called a "four screw type" . I don't know if they are good copies (reproductions) or what. Thank you.

Last edited by Lefty's kid; July 8, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old July 8, 2010, 03:55 PM   #2
denster

Sounds like 44cal versions of the 1851 Navy but without a picture it's hard to tell. In really good shape they are worth about $125 each if steel frame if brass frame about $80 each.
Old July 8, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Hawg

Sounds like 1860 Armies to me(they have a naval scene as well)If the barrels are round they're Armies if octagonal they're Navies. ASM are not the best in the world they've had problems with soft internals. If you're looking to sell they wont bring much. You can check prices on gunbroker to see what they're going for. Don't mistake reserved prices for selling value.
Old July 8, 2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

ASM 1860 Armies with color case hardened steel frames are worth between $100 and $250 depending on condition. .44 cal '51 navies a little less. Stainles Steel a little more. Do they have octagonal or round barrels, what length are the barrels, and what is the date code - either XX? stamped on the frame or two letters in a box. Earlier ASMs (before 1990) are higher quality than later ones.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 9, 2010, 07:30 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

The man of many Colts (Fingers) hit the price line pretty damn close. Depending on model and condition there can be considerable spread in value.

If you can post a few photo's we can tell you what model you have and maybe get the value established a little closer.
Old July 9, 2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Service from ASM

I have had good service from two ASM 1858 Remington clones. I don't shoot as much as others on the forum so the wear on soft internal parts might not be as apparent to me as to more frequent shooters. As I see it though, these pistols are the equivalent of comtemporary Piettas.
Old July 9, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
The man of many Colts
Oooo, I think I just got a new alias ; although bprevolver has got me beat exponentially.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 9, 2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Lefty's kid

Black Powder Revolver & Value??

Thanks for the info. The barrel is round and 7 1/2 inches long. The date code (box with 2 letters) is AI. I am trying to figure out how to upload photos. My dad got them in 1984, so that would put them as earlier ASMs. I don't know if the frame is steel or brass, how do you tell? On the cylinder is PATENT N.All help is appreciated.

ASM2.jpg

ASM5.jpg

ASM1.jpg

Last edited by Lefty's kid; July 9, 2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:29 PM   #9
denster

Yep 1860 Armys in really nice shape. The fact they are consecutive numbers may add a little value. I'd estimate about $450 for the pair.
Old July 9, 2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Hawg

AI puts them at 1982.
Old July 9, 2010, 07:16 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

The Color Case Hardening means the frame is steel. Brass frames look like just that - brass. A nickel plated frame could be brass or steel, magnet test would tell. A white frame could be either stainless steel or polished carbon steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denster
Yep 1860 Armys in really nice shape. The fact they are consecutive numbers may add a little value. I'd estimate about $450 for the pair.
Judging from the pictures, I'd say that was about right for the pair.
Old July 10, 2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Lefty's kid

Black Powder Revolver & Value???

Thanks to everyone I now have some knowledge about the guns. How would I go about selling them? ASM Black Powder, 44 cal. 1860 Army's in really nice shape. Steel frame with consecutive serial numbers, manufactured in 1982. Denster estimated about $450.00 for the pair. I live in Texas near Houston. Any suggestions?
Old July 10, 2010, 11:59 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

There's a "For sale" section at the top of the black powder forum (here). List them and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excessively armed
Oooo, I think I just got a new alias ; although bprevolver has got me beat exponentially.
I think bprevolver has any ten, no make that twenty of us beat.