The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Super-Dave

How many rounds can an semi auto shotgun fire before it has to be cleaned.

I was wondering if you were in a situation where you could not clean your shogun, how many rounds do you think you can fire before you start to experience jams and miss fires?

George Orwell
Old March 11, 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Gbro

You must be from Louisiana,
Because here in Mn we can't take enough ducks to even get close to wondering that. (just kidding).
Old March 11, 2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Super-Dave

Nope here in florida.

I have never owned a semi auto shotgun. It is easy to get mud/gunk/swamp in your shotgun dependending on where you are in florida.

George Orwell
Old March 11, 2008, 12:33 PM   #4
Zak Smith

I've cleaned my Benelli M1S90 approximately twice since I bought it in 2003 and I use it an average of twice a month for 3-Gun.
Old March 11, 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
ebutler462

I clean my guns once a year if I have used them. Otherwise, I just wipe them down with Beakfree CLP. I do not clean them every time I use them. I have some guns over fifty years that look like new inside and out, barring a few battle scars from briars and bumping into trees, etc.

When in the military, I got fed up with the daily cleaning. It ain't necessary. Some folks are anal about cleaning every time they have a shoot. Whatever!!!

It ain't necessary for me.
Old March 11, 2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Gbro

Worried about a little mud are you,
A very good friend was hunting with his Dad(82years old) and left him on the point while he was after a cripple. He was a long way off when the oldtimmer shot. A little while later he see him in the water and it look like he is dunking the gun, Winchester Model 21 SXS 12ga.
When he got back he asked Dad what he was doing.
Both barrels went off and knocked him over and the gun ended up in the mud.
A few swishes in the water and he was good to go.
The next time Tom took his Dad duck hunting he had a new shot gun. Tom sure would of liked to have the old 21, but Dad didn't want anyone he knew to own it.
Old March 11, 2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Smitty in CT

I have two Mossberg 930's, I was curious to see how long it would go, I got to about 800 rounds and couldn't take it anymore.... the gun was filthy, it was still working but I had to clean it... One of the guy on ShotgunWorld said he got over 1,100 before he had to clean his...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton

Last edited by Smitty in CT; March 12, 2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 12, 2008, 02:15 PM   #8
BigJimP

If I shoot a semi-auto in competition like sporting clays - for a gas operated gun, I would not trust it after shooting about 6 boxes thru it without cleaning it. For an inertia gun - like the Benelli - it would probably go thru a 4 day tournament with no problem - firing at least 20 boxes before I would worry about it. But like you said - you're in a situation where you "can't" clean it vs. just "not wanting" to clean it - which is never the case in a tournament.

If I was on the tournament course in the morning - even an inertia gun - the gun would be clean when I started - and I would clean it again before I went out on the course in the afternoon. I always clean my gun before I leave the range in the evening or when I get back to my hotel for the evening - but that goes for any type of shotgun - pump, semi-atuo or over-under. If for no other reason - why abuse a weapon by not cleaning it - it'll last a lot longer and provide you a lot more fun if you just clean it after every time in the field or at the gun club. I don't think this is mandatory for an inertia gun unless you're shooting really dirty shells / but for a gas gun I think this routine is mandatory because a gun malfunction is probably a lost target and I don't need any extra losses because of faulty equipment or anything negative to creep into my brain.
Old March 12, 2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Playboypenguin

Quote:
You must be from Louisiana,
Because here in Mn we can't take enough ducks to even get close to wondering that. (just kidding).
Maybe he just misses a whole lot.
Old March 13, 2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Fozzy_Bear

I have a gun that absolutely needs to work. So I break it down and inspect everything after each time I shoot it. And, while it's appart, I clean it off.

I have a few other guns that are very rugged and I only clean them if they start to look or feel bad. ( I do run a few patches down the barrel if I've been shooting cheap/dirty ammo though) - I'm pretty sure that my old Winchester model94 would work with half of the Great Dismal Swamp in it...

And, I have a few plinkers that are not so rugged, that I clean after every trip to the range because it's just easier than keeping track of it all.

In short, I'd say it depends a LOT on the specific weapon you have. (and a bit on the type of ammo you use)