The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 27, 2012, 10:24 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
He left the birdshot and a few sizes of pistol ammo and all of the 50 count .22lr boxes...
It's a bad move to sell all his ammo inventory in one fell swoop. Most small dealers need week-to-week cash flow, and we're at least a month away from reliable resupply.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:12 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

This is a small walmart... Not typical Super Center... But we are not quickly resupplied so it is as it was unless some came in today... I need some 20 gauge buck and bulk count .22 in a bad way...

The "he" was the buyer... he didn't want the bird shot or 50 count .22LR boxes I guess...

I am down to just a few thousand rounds of .22 and a mag tube full (5) of the buck shot... My double gun and ammo shelf are down to slugs and I would hate to have to use more than spackle to fix the drywall if needed...

Brent
Old December 28, 2012, 04:22 AM   #28
Sheriff Gotcha

My last 3 trips to Wally World since Newtown have left me with a frown on my face. 22, 9mm and 45 ammo is blown out. 40 is filled to the max.

Why oh why did I get the 9 and not the 40?

Ill probably have to make a trip to a LGS and pay a few bucks more if I want to stock some ammo...
Old December 28, 2012, 05:35 AM   #29
DenverPilot

Guess y'all can tell where I'm from...

Sportsman's Warehouse: Lots of boxes of odd-ball ammo sizes as of Friday. Not much left in common calibers. Some containers of really really cheap stuff, but even that was selling. Stuff I wouldn't put through my guns without a thorough cleaning and feeling dirty afterward. Haha.

WalMart: Wiped out last Thursday other than some .40 and 22 Mag and some of the more expensive home defense rounds. Haven't really restocked. Just wiped out. Different one other than mine profiled a buddy's 22 year old kid who wanted his first Remington 870 and was trying to talk him out of it when my Wyoming-raised friend walked up from elsewhere in the store and gave the clerk a little "chat" and explained his kid as been shooting most of his life, holds a number of trophies, and about how ridiculous she's making herself out to be. His kid is too modest to say any of it.

LGS: A zoo on weekends. 20-30 people milling about, gun counter, every salesperson on deck. Never less than five or six in the store even late at night.

Range time booked at least three to five days out by members (non-members can only book a day in advance) weekends booked for two weeks out. There's openings but its a chore and you'd better look a week before you want to shoot and schedule.

They went from fully loaded gun display cases to half full ones, then rebounded and have managed to somehow keep up on handguns. Long guns, the ARs and anything that held a magazine was gone in a week. Only long guns left on the wall are shotguns and a few 22LRs. The shotguns that are left are of the higher end variety, price-wise.

The usual hard to find handguns are still hard to find, but common guns are there. Downside is, everything is MSRP, or close, but they've always been like that. They do seem to be getting daily shipments, and what's in them is hit or miss. (I walked in a couple nights ago and they'd received two Springfield XDS in which was on my "interested" personal list to buy, so I filled out paperwork and prepared to wait, chuckling with the counter guys about the insanity. More on paperwork below.)

Their stock of ammo went fast in common handgun loads and .223 is gone, but they've managed to restock at least cheap handgun stuff. UMC in 45 Auto, some Federal, and American Eagle stuff plus the overpriced home defense rounds (they've always had high prices on that stuff). Was a new pile four feet high of 9mm tonight. I forget the brand, wasn't anything to write home about. They'll also sell their cheap white box stuff that they require be used in the rental guns, which is fairly dirty and I've had four FTFs in GLOCKs with it. Not exactly reliable stuff. But if you NEEDED ammo, you can find it. Not great prices but not drop pants and bend over prices either.

Paperwork: Tuesday pre-Christmas I sauntered into Sportsman's Warehouse on a whim to pick up a cheapie 22LR rifle. I haven't shot one in years and my wife has a new interest in shooting so it was time to reintroduce a 22LR rifle to the house. I hadn't seen the hysteria or nut-house stuff in person yet at that point. Just there to pick up a little Marlin Model 60, I watched the madness, five wide and three deep at the gun counter.

Paperwork in, I was told Instacheck was backed up an unknown amount of time, likely days, and there were approximately 4000 ahead of me. No problem at all, I'll just wait for the phone call and stop in once it's done. Phone call came Friday mid-day, and a quick chat with the girl who called -- she shared that Instacheck was worse now, and they'd put her in the back room full-time to handle notification calls as soon as the printer kicked out a new one. Wow.

Picking up the rifle, I watched a guy point at a "tactical looking" .22LR semi-auto of unknown make and say, "I want that. Don't care the price tag. I also want this drum magazine for a shotgun in the case here and I don't even care what shotgun it's for." Yep. Full-scale nut-house at this point. Sales guy shares a knowing look and smiles carefully at an eye roll from me... as he hands me the Marlin and rings up some other items. He shares Instacheck is now at 9600 backlog and climbing. Other sales guy tells Mr. "I want everything tactical or that holds a bunch of rounds he's looking at a four to five day wait. He says, fine.

Then this week I just happen to run into that little XDS at the LGS so I ask them how Instacheck is going. They give me a look of sorrow as if bad news is coming, but I cut them off quickly and tell them I know, and laugh a bit. The guy shared that there is a "estimated wait" counter on Colorado's web-based system that had been pegged at 99 hours for three days. The software wasn't designed to go higher. Backlog count (remember they're plowing through tons a day as this number is going up, and a friend says they've pulled staff from all over the place), close to 11,000.

Tonight was at LGS for a different reason (someone else I know was buying a pistol) and the backlog was still amazingly below 11,000, but new software was installed and number of days is now included in the time estimate. 5 days, 6 hours. Actually it was 6.2 and that made the counter folks laugh... and me...

Software showing ".2" of an hour in an estimate when you're measuring in days is silly.

We chatted a bit about what the traveling gun show folks will do this coming weekend... And what a complete mad-house that thing will probably be. No way they can do Instacheck. LGS has piles and piles of guns in cases with paperwork sitting on top of them, awaiting approvals. Not sure how the gun show folks will deal with that.

We also both agreed we don't want to be anywhere near the place. Going to be a lot of people paying a lot of money, that's for sure.

So... That's the news from here. LGSs seem to be restocking popular handguns, long guns are wiped out, ammo is hit or miss, and better at LGS than Wally World or Sportsman's. Haven't been to Cabela's, can't comment on them.
Old December 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #30
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The guy shared that there is a "estimated wait" counter on Colorado's web-based system that had been pegged at 99 hours for three days. The software wasn't designed to go higher. Backlog count (remember they're plowing through tons a day as this number is going up, and a friend says they've pulled staff from all over the place), close to 11,000.
Yowza! The federal NICS system was pretty bad last week as well, but not like that.

Still, we had a few days when checks simply weren't going through. Hold times were upwards of 45 minutes at some points, and at others, we were told by operators to call back the following day.

In the whole time the NICS system has been active, I've never seen anything like that.
Old December 28, 2012, 07:59 PM   #31
cornbush

I refuse to feed the frenzy. I'll keep writing my congress critters and having intelligent conversation with fence riders and hopefully buy some of this stuff when the idiots realize they paid five times too much
Old December 29, 2012, 05:53 PM   #32
Glenn E. Meyer

Dick's and Academy today.

NO ARs (Dicks obviously) - but both had tactical shotguns.

Ammo - 22 LR gone. 9mm gone but lots of 40. Academy had brought out some WWB FMJ 45 ACP for 100 at 39.95.

Wonder why no one is cuing on the shotguns?
Old December 30, 2012, 10:04 AM   #33
JagFarlane

Swung by Gander Mountain last night, as with most no AR's, a few of the higher end tactical rifles like FNH, obviously less handguns than normal but still a decent selection. Ammo wise no 22LR, no .223, only high end .308, lots of 9mm, some .40, some .45, a little .38, .357, and .44.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:30 AM   #34
JKHolman

By Justice06RR:

I'm wondering when this whole frenzy will die down, or if it will at all...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ __ __

hear! hear!
Old December 30, 2012, 11:31 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

Academy had lots of evil semi handguns. Interesting pricing differentials. Bass Pro had a Glock 17 for $569, Academy - 529.

Bass will match or so they say.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:43 AM   #36
thedudeabides

Quote:
Academy had lots of evil semi handguns. Interesting pricing differentials. Bass Pro had a Glock 17 for $569, Academy - 529.

Bass will match or so they say.
Don't know, Glenn.

I've heard several dealers tell me that their distributors have hiked up prices and if you want a gun, you're going to have to pay that inflated price or find a better one yourself.

...I think it falls under that "we reserve the right not to..." BS you see in the fine print.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:36 PM   #37
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Are any of y'all observing any sort of a run on 15+rd double-stack semi-auto pistols in your area?
To quote a kid at the local gun-selling pawnshop I frequent: "Five used Beretta's (92's and 96's) sat there for months and then all sold within 2 days after Sandy Hook."
Old December 30, 2012, 07:08 PM   #38
WyMark

I bought 2000 rounds of American Eagle .22lr yesterday at the SW in Loveland, CO. Haven't been able to find any around here at a decent price. This stuff was way overpriced at $20 for 400 count boxes, but at least now I have something to shoot for a couple months. Hopefully the crazy will have tapered off a bit by then.
Old December 30, 2012, 07:10 PM   #39
Alabama Shooter

The funny thing is that .22rf had just dropped below crazyland prices. In fact most ammo had. That triggered me to go buy some. While I clearly had no fore knowledge it turned out to be highly providential.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:58 PM   #40
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I've heard several dealers tell me that their distributors have hiked up prices and if you want a gun, you're going to have to pay that inflated price or find a better one yourself.
That depends. The big three distributors haven't gone up. However, they don't have product, so dealers might have to go to other sources to get product, resulting in higher costs.

As it is, prices on the secondary market are truly surreal, and the panic is really causing a self-fulfilling crisis. The tragedy in Connecticut happened at a time when most of the industry had gone on Christmas vacation, so manufacturing is severely reduced at the moment. Once it restarts, supply will be back out there, prices will fall, and some folks are going to regret their financial decisions.
Old December 30, 2012, 08:58 PM   #41
JagFarlane

Yeah, I'm in about the same boat. Picked up ammo here and there over the last few years whenever I saw it on sale so I have a few hundred rounds for just about every caliber save the hunting rifles and those calibers rarely are affected by ammo runs/I don't shoot them that much to save the barrels.

Just glad I picked up the little woman an AR of her own a few months back when we saw them on sale. She loves it and it was a reasonable price. Now I'd be concerned whether or not she could get it, much less at that price, for a long time to come.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:12 PM   #42
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nothing but a few .40, .45acp and some centerfire rifle rounds at any of the 4 local wally worlds... Got a $50.00 BassPro gift card I intended to buy a couple new Dexter-Russel knives for the kitchen but if they have any ammo I need, at a price I like, I may just put that with the cash I set aside for ammo and buy more...

Brent
Old December 30, 2012, 09:18 PM   #43
snuzzo29

Been to a Cabelas and Gander Mtn and they were both out of semi auto rifles except for a few in .22lr (mostly marlin 795s and mossberg 702s). As for ammo they were both out of .223 and most .22lr and there were a few boxes of 9mm around. All hunting calibers were still around along with shotgun shells.

This panic really stinks when your in the market for a .22 rifle. I am hoping this panic will be over soon.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:33 PM   #44
breakingcontact

Local Academy is full of 40/45. 9/22/223 wiped out. Do have a spam can of 9mm Tula though. Just recently came to terms with shooting Monarch. Don't think I can deal with Tula yet.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:34 PM   #45
breakingcontact

Also plenty of 22mag
Old December 30, 2012, 09:37 PM   #46
Merad

No idea.

For a couple of months I've been looking at getting a LC9, Shield or similar small 9mm for carry. Friday I more or less talked myself into getting one as a late Christmas present to myself and headed off to the LGS. Pulled up to find the parking lot totally full with 4-5 cars parked in the grass. Forget that madness. Turned around and came home.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:54 AM   #47
Spats McGee
Staff

In the past week or so, I've been to an LGS, an Academy, and a gun show.

LGS -- Went here a couple of days before Christmas. About a case of .223 on the shelf, at $14.95/box of 20. A decent supply of 9mm, .40, .45. still on the shelves. LGS had 2x-3x as many customers as I have ever seen in there.

Academy -- Went there Saturday, 29 December 2012. No .223 at all. Still a fair amount of premium rifle ammo in 7mm, .243, .30-06, .308, etc.

Gun show -- Also went Saturday, twice. I first went out after an early lunch, arriving noon-ish. Plenty of 9mm & .40 around. Brass-cased 230 gr .45 acp, best price = $22.95/box of 50. When I returned that afternoon (admission was good for all day), it had gone up to $25.99/box of 50. Same brand, same vendor. You could see where new price stickers had been put over the old ones. A fair amount of rifle ammo around, as well as more odd-ball shotgun ammo than I've seen in a long time. 16 ga, 28 ga, things like that. I saw one lone case of 5.56 NATO for sale, at the low, low price of $794/case of 1000! That dealer said that he'd sold 10K rounds of .223 by 9 a.m. that day. By the time I really priced .223 in the afternoon, it was all running $20/box of 20. Stripped AR lowers going for $400-500 apiece. EBR prices looked very high (I say "looked" because I'm not really up to speed on various EBR prices), but other new gun prices looked, well slightly inflated.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:39 PM   #48
DenverPilot

I had nothing better to do so I wandered around to six WalMart Superstores in South Denver Metro on Saturday night late. Just to see what was around...

None had 22LR in anything but shot. None had any 9mm. One had WWB .45 ACP (4 boxes of 100 rounds) for $29. (Yeah I bought two just 'cause. Ha.) Another guy was standing there and needed 45 ACP. I asked what he needed since I'm ok and was just adding to the storage for range shooting, and he only needed a box so we both got what we wanted and 1 box left at 10PM.

On Sunday was early for a dinner appt and near one of the six stores again. Was curious, so looked again while grabbing an iced tea from McD's inside... Ten boxes of PPU 9mm. I haven't run that stuff from Serbia but I was there and it was and two boxes of it jumped in my cart. Silly stuff. It apparently needed a home.

Today, Sportsman's Warehouse had restocked WWB in everything but 9mm. So they're starting to restock some.

Gander Mtn had Blazer Brass 9mm in 350 round bulk pack for $99. 45 ACP 200 rounds for $99. And piles of .40 of all varieties. Some WWB in everything but light 9MM. Had some WWB 9mm NATO however at $39. Wow. (Thought that was interesting.)

So the big box stores are restocking but riding the wave on price for ammo. Wheee!

Didn't bother looking at Dick's after hearing they're living up to their name and cancelled AR orders, and pulled them permanently. Won't be going in there ever again. Bye Dicks. (Note I left off the apostrophe. Heh.)

None had rifles worth messing with. SW and Gander had restocked some semi-auto handguns. Counters were jammed at both with people so I didn't look hard. Quite a zoo.

Online Saturday night I found WWB for plinking at one LGS out of state that was still at pre-insanity pricing for the 500 round boxes of 45 ACP 230g and 9mm 115g, and even with outrageous FedEx Ground shipping they were still reasonable -- so I bought me and wifey some plinking ammo for the range, since we both have a class we signed up for a while back, coming up soon. Was surprised it wasn't a ruse and got tracking numbers for FedEx this morning first thing. Cool.

Both of us still waiting on Colorado "Insta"Check on our new toys. My paperwork was in last Wednesday night, hers Thursday night. With the holiday I'm guessing Thursday on mine. We'll see.
Old December 31, 2012, 08:37 PM   #49
Joe_Pike

Stopped by one LGS today that I had not been to in a couple of weeks. Several ARs on the shelf for insane prices. Some were just built up using parts out of the parts bin in the store. Plus, they are buying used ARs to resell for a huge profit. Lots of muliple handgun purchases going on. One guy was buying four. Stripped lowers gong for $350.

The owner of the store is a loud mouth, racist that also tends to make fun of women every chance he gets. His clientele is much the same unfortunately. I really wanted to buy a S&W 17-2 today that was there, but I just can't seem to get past the other stuff.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:30 AM   #50
Buzzard Bait

Dummy Here

Whats a EBR ??
Closed Thread