The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 8, 2006, 01:31 AM   #26
Chuck Dye

In 1967 I was hunting jackrabbits with my deer rifle (great practice! If you can hit jacks, deer are easy!) walking just be low a ridge when a fellow with a .22 began peppering the ground a few feet in front and behind me. Yes, this was his idea of deliberate fun. I had my rifle slung on the off side to the shooter, so perhaps he was unaware that I was armed. I unlimbered my .30-06 and put a round between his feet which convinced him to flee the jurisdiction.

I was 16 at the time and glad of the non-lethal resolution, but have since come to consider myself lucky to have survived some poor tactics: he was, after all, a much easier shot than a running jack. As was I.

(Ah, don?t you miss the days when 16 year olds could walk into gun shops and buy guns or wander the public lands with them, unmolested? *sigh* (Sorry, Lawdog, that *sigh* is just too good not to steal!))
Old May 10, 2006, 10:39 AM   #27
kentak

Realistically, the chances of being accidentally shot at while hunting are hundreds of times more than being shot at on purpose. (The Wisconsin incident notwithstanding). Therefore, I think shooting back not knowing the exact circumstances would be a tragic mistake. And if you were hit, shooting back sure isn't likely to get you help from the guy who accidentally shot you.

K
Old May 10, 2006, 11:11 AM   #28
dfaugh

Yup, had a shotgun slug whistle past me when I was deer hunting. Was on top of a ridge, steep hill downwards covered in evergreens (zero visability past a few feet.) I musta spooked a deer, and someone in the field below took a shot, upwards into the pines. Couldn't tell how close it came, but it sure got my attention!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old May 10, 2006, 11:22 AM   #29
mete

There have been two recent "accidental" shootings in NY state by 'hunters' and they are being criminally charged with reckless endangerment. This should always be the case !!
Old May 10, 2006, 11:24 AM   #30
Mikeyboy

why do I see some wacko wandering the woods during hunting season wearing antler, so he can have a chance to shoot back at a hunter.
Old May 10, 2006, 01:46 PM   #31
Doggieman

Quote:
why do I see some wacko wandering the woods during hunting season wearing antler, so he can have a chance to shoot back at a hunter.
They're on to me
Old May 10, 2006, 06:51 PM   #32
razorburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Phinn
In 1967 I was hunting jackrabbits with my deer rifle (great practice! If you can hit jacks, deer are easy!) walking just be low a ridge when a fellow with a .22 began peppering the ground a few feet in front and behind me. Yes, this was his idea of deliberate fun. I had my rifle slung on the off side to the shooter, so perhaps he was unaware that I was armed. I unlimbered my .30-06 and put a round between his feet which convinced him to flee the jurisdiction.
Holy crap. How did you even know he was shooting at the ground for fun, and not at you? I would've put that shot in his head. Nobody would convict you when some lunatic has fired a bunch of rounds at you.
Old May 13, 2006, 01:04 AM   #33
stang46gt

I was shot at once

while hunting in Maine. Was standing and taking a compass reading and I heard something hit the tree I was nect to about head high. Befor eI could look at what it was I heard the shot. I instinctively pulled my 1911 (don't have the gun anymore) and emptied a clip in the direction I thought the shot came from. While I was reloading I heard someone beat feet through the brush. I was more pissed then anything. I was shot once at a McDonalds in El Paso, which is the reason I now carry.