The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2016, 09:04 AM   #1
rebs

inline ergonamic handle ?

My reloading bench is 36 inches high and has a LNL AP progressive press mounted directly to it. Because of back problems and a shoulder problem I sometimes stand and sometimes sit to reload. Which handle would work the best for me the short or long ?
Old October 24, 2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Before you get a handle, consider a Dillon tall mount or the Inline mount. I built my benches tall, so I don't have them, but I think that with a back issue being able to stand up straight or sit on a bar stool is more useful. Get yourself an anti-fatigue mat for the standing if you don't have one.

Long verses short handle is harder to say. Long will reduce muscle effort, and I find that useful with priming, but it does reduce feel and if forces you to go through a greater range of motion, which may be an issue when sitting.

If you have a physical therapist for the back, they may be able to advise you on this. It might be they think the greater range of motion while standing would be good for you. My gut reaction is long handle, tall mount, anti-fatigue mat, but YMMV.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 24, 2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Longshot4

ergonomics is the term to use. Your height is one of the measurable to help determine your ergo. motions. Your arm pit would be the highest to reach and your navel would be lowest. I believe that is the ergo. window of reach. The ergo. mat is a big plus with out a drought. It's a repetitive motion that adds up to problems. A cushion for your seat would also help. But don't over look a sable platform for you. So not overly cushy.
Old October 24, 2016, 11:27 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Even in a drought it's good to use.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 24, 2016, 01:17 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Sounds to me like you need to change the height of the bench. 36" sounds decidedly low to me. A typical office desk is 30" high. Work benches run your 36". Still may be too low.
Easily raised with a 4 x 4, a brick or the like. Lower probably isn't what you need.
Old October 24, 2016, 01:36 PM   #6
rebs

The height of my bench is good for me to be able to stand or sit. I have no problem seating primers but just thought the ergo handle might make things a little easier.
Old October 24, 2016, 11:36 PM   #7
drain smith

rebs, Here is my advice to you. Call Dan at inline fabrications. His phone number is 541-246-4691. Dan knows his stuff if anyone can give you advice he can. If you just found out you had diabetes I could tell you everything I know, but wouldn't it be better to talk to a doc?
Old October 25, 2016, 08:19 AM   #8
mrdaputer

Yep give them a call. I went with the longer one and works great for "me".