The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 24, 2016, 06:45 AM   #1
cervri

Dillon 550b

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Dillon 550b press, should be here today..Any tips, tricks or favorite mods...I know I will love this press..Have also ordered Primer Track Bearing Plate W/Ball Bearing 4th Generation.
Old October 24, 2016, 09:02 AM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervri View Post
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Dillon 550b press, should be here today..Any tips, tricks or favorite mods...I know I will love this press..Have also ordered Primer Track Bearing Plate W/Ball Bearing 4th Generation.

Have you ever loaded on a progressive press before? I wouldn't do any mods until you have some time with the press.

I have a 550 as well and haven't needed to do anything outside of basic maintenance. Only upgrade I may end up doing is the spent primer upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The first thing I bought was an extra half dozen primer pick-up tubes of each size. That let me fill the tubes while watching TV so that chore wouldn't interrupt a loading session unless it was more extensive than usual. Extra finished cartridge bins are useful for the same reason; not having to interrupt loading flow. I got extra die heads to keep dies set up and to store them, but that's obviously a lazy man's purchase and is purely optional.

A lot of people like the ergonomic handles and the tall mounts for easier standing operation when they have a bench that is standard height. I made my benches tall, so I don't use those mounts, but that was before they were available. I might go with the mounts today, particularly the style that supports a press swap-out.

Also look at the stuff at Inline Fabrication. They are another source for a number of accessories such as the mounts and handles. Dillon sells such things as well, and you may prefer their designs, but look at the other stuff and ask the makers what the difference is before you buy. The mount is something you may decide on early because it affects the bench carving. Also, as a safety feature, consider the addition of a light to be sure you can see into the powder charge. You can improvise your own, but some kind of light for viewing the powder charge is a good idea even at the beginning.

I've never felt the extra step needed to fill a bullet tray or a case tray was particularly helpful. I've got them in boxes already and just leave those open on the bench while I'm using them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 24, 2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Don P

The bearing plate is the only up grade I have done. Read the directions for set up and read them again. Then start to set up reading the directions a third time. If you don't understand something Dillon's support is unparalleled. They can guide you through the process if needed. Take your time and all I found is the dies will need minor tweaking once you have brass in all the stations in the shell plate. Just be prepared to load 400 rounds an hour on a easy cruise once you get accustomed to the press
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 24, 2016, 09:28 AM   #5
cervri

I started using a RCBS jr. In the 1970s. In the 90s I started using a RCBS automaster, so this is not my first progressive. I have ordered extra primer tubes and also a light

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old October 24, 2016, 04:14 PM   #6
1stmar

Is the bearing plate a Dillon product?
Old October 24, 2016, 05:28 PM   #7
cervri

No, not a dillon product:

Dillon 550B Primer Track Bearing Plate W/Ball Bearing 4th Generation

Seller: jw-system45
Based in TX, United States
Ebay
Old October 24, 2016, 08:50 PM   #8
turtlehead

Thanks for the heads up on the primer track. Ordered one today.

You'll love the 550.
Old October 24, 2016, 09:04 PM   #9
jepp2

You don't say what you are going to load on it (rifle or handgun or both). I polish the interior of the aluminum base of the powder measures. It really help improve the disbursing accuracy with the difficult powders. Lots of good articles on it out there.

I only load for handguns on mine. I run all my powder measures the old way with springs and not the fail safe rod. Works well for me, but I wouldn't do it if I was loading for rifles on it.
Old October 25, 2016, 02:31 AM   #10
cervri

Mostly loading .223 and 45 ACP, with occasional runs of 38,357 mag and 30/30 Win. All the powders that I use seem to measure well in my powder measures. Bulleye, H380, H335 and Red Dot. Used to load 300 win mag and 270 Rem but gave those to my son, I don't hunt any longer.
Old October 25, 2016, 05:57 AM   #11
cervri

What have you guys found to be the easiest way to empty the powder measure?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old October 25, 2016, 07:40 AM   #12
daboone

I remove the tool head setup and with a funnel pour the powder back into the jug.

The best and only mod I've done to the 550B was placing a baby granddaughter's sock over the ball handle. That smooths out strokes and just causes the ball to glide nearly friction free. Much cheaper than a roller handle.

As was mention just use the stock 550B for awhile. I've found the stock 550B works perfectly if I just keep it clean.
Old October 25, 2016, 10:11 AM   #13
cervri

daboone: Do you have any trouble with the white nylon bushing that rides on the powder measure safety rod...Does it not get to the point that it does not stay in place, or does it even matter? Or take the rod loose on the other end?

OK, never mind on taking off the other end, just went out and tried it...Won't work..

Last edited by cervri; October 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old October 25, 2016, 05:17 PM   #14
30Cal

I tap the body of the powdermeasure twice before running a shell up into the powder die.

Also for 223, I'd get into the powderfunnel with a dremil and some crocus cloth and polish it as best you can. Helps keep extruded powders from hanging up in there (bridge).
Old October 25, 2016, 09:14 PM   #15
KEYBEAR

First just load after a year or two if you really need to MOD it buy a cover for it . You bought a Dillion mods are already done for you .
Old October 26, 2016, 06:08 AM   #16
daboone

"Do you have any trouble with the white nylon bushing that rides on the powder measure safety rod...Does it not get to the point that it does not stay in place, or does it even matter? Or take the rod loose on the other end?"

No I've not had any problems with the 550B. A few operator errors because I failed to tighten the brass tipped screw or sufficiently tighten up the shell plate bolt. That was really the only learning curve I encountered.

I only use the Dillon for 223R and 7.62x39. I've loaded over 3000 223R and 1800 7.62x39 without any issues from the measure or the rod or any of its parts. I use the Lee's Auto Disk and Auto Drum with the caliber specific Lee powder dies for the 5 pistol calibers I load. I use these Lee measures and dies because I already had them and they work consistently for me.

Last edited by daboone; October 27, 2016 at 01:38 PM.
Old October 26, 2016, 06:26 AM   #17
cervri

Got her all tuned up and rockin...Loaded up my first 100 rnds of 45 ACP, no problems, this press is awesome.....Running stock, right out of the box except for the primer slide..
Old October 26, 2016, 08:56 AM   #18
John D

I second the suggestion for the cover. I also appreciate the "end of primers" indicator. Of course you're going to want separate die holders for all the calibers you load...once you've got them set properly, you just change them out and adjust the powder drop (assuming you're loading the same sized primers).

Never saw the need to add bullet trays, roller handle, etc. I did order the "spare parts" package from Dillon, which comes in very handy if something jams or goes missing. Honestly, in 25 or 30 years, I've never had a major problem with my 550.
Old October 26, 2016, 06:34 PM   #19
Tsquared

I do have one mod to the 550b. I took a piece of 2" painter's tape and folded it over on itself lengthwise 3/4 of an inch to extend the walls of the spent primer catch cup. Now instead of spent primers popping all over the place about 90% of them end up in the cup.
Old October 27, 2016, 11:28 PM   #20
turtlehead

FYI. Received the primer track today and loaded a few hundred rounds. Worked great. Seems like a very good upgrade so far.
Old October 30, 2016, 12:18 AM   #21
turtlehead

Loaded 900 more rounds today and the primer track upgrade has been flawless thus far.

I like it.
Old October 30, 2016, 05:32 AM   #22
USCS

After a year of running a 550, I decided it was too much trouble to switch out the primer systems when I wanted to change primer systems, so I bought another 550. One is for small primer rounds, the other for large. Then I got complete tool head sets for each caliber.