The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 10, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
cschwanz

Reloading for pistol competition

Wasnt sure what area to put this is in, but b/c it ultimately is about comp, i chose here. Anyway...

I have a line on a good price for 200 gr, plated Rainier bullets, either RN or FN. My question: is there a benefit or downside to either shape? Or is it merely personal preference.

As for what guns these will be shot it: a 5" Colt 1911 (Single Stack USPSA division) as well as a Glock 21SF (carry gun, these rounds will simply be for range use-not carry)

thanks!

C-
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old December 10, 2009, 09:09 PM   #2
RickB

Roundnose bullets generally feed better than other shapes, in semiauto pistols.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3
LHB1

I've used semi-wadcutter cast lead bullets in my 1911's for many years, both for Bullseye competition and personal practice/target shooting. I had no feeding problems or malfunctions (alibis) in competition using the LSWC's. They fed well in several different 1911's over the years and also cut nice clean scoring rings in the paper targets.

Last edited by LHB1; December 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:29 PM   #4
bullspotter

LHB1 need to see some data to back you comment about shooting the ops choice of bullets here, havent been able to find anything myself about shooting plated lead in a glock.......
Old December 11, 2009, 12:13 AM   #5
LHB1

Didn't mean to mislead anyone with the last line in my previous post about perhaps not wanting to shoot lead bullets in a Glock. It was simply a cautionary comment based on other internet posts about not shooting lead bullets in Glocks. I don't shoot plated bullets nor shoot Glocks. I have removed that comment from previous post to prevent further misunderstandings. The remainder of my previous post refers ONLY to my experience in use of cast lead bullets in 1911 pistols!

Last edited by LHB1; December 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old December 11, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
bullspotter

Ok that clears it up, sory, didnt realize you were talking about cast lead your shooting in your gun vrs the ops plated bullets.
Old December 27, 2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Steviewonder1

Reloading for Pistol Competetion??

I have reloaded several K of lead and plated lead bullets in both round nose and SWC types of bullets for my G21 and 1911. With proper OAL and light crimping both run well in both guns since 1993. I use Federal large pistol for the Glock as it will not reliabily go bang with Winchester Large Pistol. Yes, I have to have seperate bags of ammo for the two pistols, but have a ton of primers and bullets for both. I also shoot lead outdoors and plated lead or FMJ indoors. The total of shot ammo here is 25K or more for the Glock with a factory barrel and 18K for the 1911.