The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 4, 2015, 12:33 PM   #1
chemcal

More p250 Questions

i like this gun, however, double taps are a challenge. Wondering why this gun seems to be less popular than the Kahr. Is there that much difference? Also, does it appear Sig will be dropping this gun?
Old October 4, 2015, 02:22 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

The Kahr had more than a decade head start and is available in a number of models, many of which have better fit and finish.
The Kahr is slimmer.
Old October 4, 2015, 02:25 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

Too many people don't know how to shoot double action revolvers these days, that's why the P250 isn't popular. Anyone who thinks that full DAO can't be fast needs to see Mr. Miculek in action. That's why Sig replaced the 250 with the 320.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the Kahr's are true DAO.
Old October 4, 2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Oysterboy

I shoot mine fine, yep, plenty of practice.
Old October 4, 2015, 05:09 PM   #5
6mm

I have no problem with either of my P250's. I originally learned to shoot handguns with a Ruger Security Six. When I got the P250 is all came back. I carried a Glock 19 for years, but now only rarely carry it. I did buy a P320 and it's ok. I shoot the P250, so much better. It just takes practice. I shoot a minimal of 100rds a month thru it.

Sig has dropped the .380 P250 from the lineup, the others are still in production.
Old October 4, 2015, 05:11 PM   #6
chemcal

what kind of ammo do you use?
Old October 4, 2015, 06:08 PM   #7
Oysterboy

For target shooting I'll use WWB 40sw 165 and for SD Hornady 165 FTX.
Old October 4, 2015, 06:17 PM   #8
Nathan

Quote:
....Wondering why this gun seems to be less popular than the Kahr. Is there that much difference?...

The Kahr is probably the thinnest gun made. It's weight is about right. Heavy enough to tame recoil. Light enough to carry all day. Trigger is good for DA revolver shooters.

The Sign250 is in a COMPLETELY different league!
Old October 4, 2015, 07:01 PM   #9
6mm

For practice 115 gr FMJ. For carry, I have been using Hornady Critical Duty 135gr +P or Hornady American Gunner 124gr +P.
Old October 4, 2015, 07:13 PM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Anyone who thinks that full DAO can't be fast needs to see Mr. Miculek in action.
That's absolutely true, but Miculek is one of the best revolver shooters in the world and likely shoots more in a week than some people will in a year. That's a heck of a benchmark for comparison. I'd also imagine that as fast as Miculek could be with a revolver, he can probably be faster still with a firearm with a lighter or at least shorter trigger pull. I learned to shoot on a Model 13 and I think there's a lot of merit to mastering a long, heavy trigger pull in terms of ability to deal with other trigger systems. That said I still carry the Glock 19.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 4, 2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterboy View Post
I shoot mine fine, yep, plenty of practice.
Same here, though I no longer have my P250, I do have a couple of other real, true DAO's and shoot them fine, and they both have heavier trigger pulls than the Sig!
Old October 5, 2015, 08:30 AM   #12
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the Kahr's are true DAO.
I'm not sure how you'd define a 'true' DA, but the Kahr trigger is very much like a tuned DA revolver trigger. It's long, light, and smooth.
Old October 5, 2015, 10:10 AM   #13
chemcal

Nathan said: The Sign250 is in a COMPLETELY different league!

Was this a positive statement? Please elaborate.
Old October 5, 2015, 11:27 AM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent George
I'm not sure how you'd define a 'true' DA, but the Kahr trigger is very much like a tuned DA revolver trigger. It's long, light, and smooth.
The reason the Kahr trigger is light is that it's partially pre-set by the action cycling after the last shot, and the Kahrs consequently lack second-strike capability. The P250 will lift and drop the hammer from rest, regardless of whether the slide is cycled first, so the shooter has the option of pulling the trigger again if the round is a dud.

Some shooters only consider a pistol to be a "true" double action if it's capable of doing this.

Whether this is important is a matter of personal preference. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'll accept a pistol either way.

(Someone will invariably chime in with a comment like "...if it don't go BANG, you're possa CLEAR THE PISTOL, you dimwit, who needs second strike?!?" My opinion—as with the similar unending dispute regarding magazine disconnects—is that someone evidently regards the feature as important, and people who think they "need" this capability should be treated like their concerns are legitimate.)
Old October 5, 2015, 07:53 PM   #15
wvshooter

I have two Sig P250's and a Kahr CW9. I carried the Kahr a bunch a few years ago but began to be concerned about the gun's very light trigger as a safety issue.

The Sig has a longer trigger travel and although the Sig trigger is amazingly smooth it seems to me to be a little stiffer than the Kahr trigger. Just my opinion but to me the Sig P250 is a tremendous gun.
Old October 6, 2015, 07:30 PM   #16
Nathan

Quote:

Was this a positive statement? Please elaborate.
Yes, positive for both.

Kahrs are a thin, like so thin they had to patent their thin layout. That makes them great carry guns. So, basically all Kakrs are geared towards this mission of easy packing ccw.

Sig 250 is a standard to fat gun that is a great OWB gun, LEO gun, nightstand gun, or other mission where wide is ok. Sure they make a compact frame, but it is still quite fat. Still a good gun.

Last edited by Nathan; October 7, 2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 6, 2015, 07:39 PM   #17
SARuger

I love my P250, very accurate! Like one poster said earlier in the thread, if you grew up shooting a DA revolver like I did with my Dan Wesson at age 16, it just feels right shooting it!

I can shoot the P250 faster than any of my DA revolvers but only barely. I keep it beside me every night. I practice with it weekly.

My EDC is a old style LC9, LCR .38 or the LCP.
Old October 6, 2015, 09:20 PM   #18
wvshooter

Quote:
Sig 250 is a standard to fat gun that is a great OWB gun, LEO gun, nightstand gun, or other mission where wide is ok. Sure they make a compact frame, but it is still quite fat.
I've carried my p250 sub compact and my p250 compact very comfortably IWB using an Alien Gear hybrid holster or a cheap Don Hume IWB holster. Just my opinion but I think they are a great carry gun.

The two fastener clips used in hybrid kydex style IWB holsters make it easier to carry anything. With a hybrid holster and a good belt I've comfortably carried a full size CZ75, a Smith 5906, a Smith 4046, and a Ruger P89.

It's a personal thing but for carry I prefer a full size high capacity weapon.
Old October 6, 2015, 10:41 PM   #19
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguychris View Post
Some shooters only consider a pistol to be a "true" double action if it's capable of doing this.

Whether this is important is a matter of personal preference. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'll accept a pistol either way.
Thanks for the explanation - that makes a lot of sense to me. I was asking because I've seen Glocks and Springfields described as DAO, but I mentally categorize them as SA because of the short pull even though they do technically pull the firing pin backwards as part of the action. The significantly longer Kahr trigger pull makes it a true DA in my mind, but I understand your explanation and can see it that way too.

Anyway, back on topic: if Sig would put the 250 trigger into the 290, I'd make it my new EDC in an instant. I agree with all the raves - that is a sweet DA trigger.
Old October 7, 2015, 02:28 AM   #20
JJNA

I am a big fan of the SIG P250. To me, its trigger feels like a skillfully customized double action revolver. Add the highly flexible modularity, and it should be a big winner. Alas, I think it suffered from 1) bad marketing, 2) early reliability issues (rectified in v.2) and 3) the industry trend (toward striker-fired guns).

I was able to acquire several caliber/size change kits at about $219 each. It's like I have multiple guns! My wife really loves the .380 ACP kit in subcompact frame in particular. The trigger reach and grip comfort are excellent for her small hands, the recoil is minimal, and she has confidence in the very smooth, yet comfortably heavy-enough trigger (light striker triggers found on Kahrs and P320's concern her quite a bit, given that she is not a gun nut and doesn't spend hours and hours shooting and training with guns as her husband does).

For her, it's like a small, lightweight, and highly tuned 38 special revolver that has a 13-round capacity (ok, 380 ACP is not quite 38 special, but close enough). And lower recoil.
Old October 7, 2015, 02:37 AM   #21
JJNA

Quote:
Anyway, back on topic: if Sig would put the 250 trigger into the 290, I'd make it my new EDC in an instant. I agree with all the raves - that is a sweet DA trigger.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why SIG made the P290 trigger so heavy. It seems to me that the P250 trigger is a perfect balance between the too heavy P290 trigger and the too light P320 trigger.

I just don't get what Sig is doing nowadays (aside from the whole Ron Cohen-Kimber mode of producing umpteen colorful finishes and variations with crappy quality-control and a frustrating customer service system that only caters to the squeaky wheel*).

*My P226 SAO Elite had to go back twice for a safety that had no detent and no tension (just brushing the gun with my shirt made the safety deactivate, it was so loose). The first time the CS just sent it back, claiming that was normal. And my 556 Commando rattles everywhere with extremely loose slop - the lower/upper fit, the handguards, the stock, flimsy backup sights, the trigger. None of my earlier built German Sigs has any of these kinds of issues.
Old October 7, 2015, 07:59 AM   #22
kozak6

Kahr makes thin single stack stack pistols in carry sizes.

In carry sizes, the P250 is a little bit fat. The P250 also had some rather severe teething issues, and true DAO triggers are currently severely unfashionable. You might as well wear white after Labor Day.

The P290 was originally a pre-tensioned double action, and was redesigned as the P290RS a year after release (RS for ReStrike). There are some vague comments about the original trigger causing misfires, but details seem a little scarce.
Old October 7, 2015, 05:14 PM   #23
chemcal

Has anyone measured the peak pull weight of their p250 DA trigger?

Last edited by chemcal; October 7, 2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old October 7, 2015, 06:07 PM   #24
Independent George

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJNA View Post
For the life of me, I cannot understand why SIG made the P290 trigger so heavy. It seems to me that the P250 trigger is a perfect balance between the too heavy P290 trigger and the too light P320 trigger.
Back when I was shopping for a micro-9 for carry, I really wanted it to be the 290RS. I'd already tried out a 250, and went into it assuming that of course the 290 would have the same DAO trigger because, well, why the heck not?

So I went to my LGS, and was immediately enthralled by the perfect size and the general fit & finish. It was miles ahead of the CM9 (which was the leading contender at that point) in ergonomics and general feel, and I greatly preferred the manual of arms over the 938. I picked it up, cleared the chamber, lined the up the sights (against the wall, for the record), ready to be amazed... then pulled the trigger.

It was like meeting your childhood crush, and finding out she had BO.

Last edited by Independent George; October 7, 2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: 7
Old October 7, 2015, 06:09 PM   #25
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
Has anyone measured the peak pull weight of their p250 DA trigger?
My old compact was 6.4#, subcompact was 6.7#.