The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 23, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1
ironhat

Trouble with installation of trigger spring

I have a question about my S&W J-frame, Airweight, but I believe that there is crossover to other makers. I'm changing out the trigger spring (inside the grips) and my question is how to compress this particular spring. It has a small plastic shroud with a taper on the end. I suppose that the taper is for ease of installation into the frame. On my Single Six there was no such end and I simply muscled it on until I could slide a pin into the hole, slide it into the frame and then, withdraw the pin. If I do this to the Smith I stand a good chance of boogering up the plastic tip. Does anyone make a tool for easy compression of this spring?
TIA,
Chiz
Old September 23, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Can you post a picture? I don't know of any spring inside a J frame S&W that has a plastic tip, but maybe it is something new.

Jim
Old September 24, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
gunsmither

Hammer spring?

Perhaps you meant to say the hammer spring has the "small plastic tip"? For the hammer spring, you compress the spring against the plastic piece until the cross hole is exposed, then use a small pin inserted into the cross hole to hold it compressed. Then insert it into the frame, cock the piece against the spring, and remove the holding pin.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:04 PM   #4
g.willikers

Inside the grips?
Is this the main spring, that powers the hammer?
The trigger return spring lives inside the frame, under the side plate.
Old September 24, 2012, 06:08 PM   #5
YARDDOG(1)

"[Inside the grips?
Is this the main spring, that powers the hammer?
The trigger return spring lives inside the frame, under the side plate.]"

Exactly, Main spring in grips. Should change both OMO
Y/D
Old September 25, 2012, 07:19 PM   #6
ironhat

Whew, I didn't expect so many responses. My hard drive took a nose dive and I was without a PC. So, you assumed right about the spring -it's the mainspring. Yarddog, I do plan on doing a complete job so, the return spring will be changed out too. I forgot about that procedure, gunsmither. That's what I did on my Single Six but my question is about doing the swap. You have to remove the retaining pin to change out the springs so, how do you compress the new spring to get the keeper pin back in. Sorry about the lack of pics. I still have to do a post mortum on the old PC to get those pics.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:06 PM   #7
ironhat

Hey folks, in my haste to get an answer out to you I didn't check the rest of the mail. Here's what the folks at Brownell sent back. I didn't know what their response time was but, I had given up on them when I posted here.

Take a look at item 080-927-000 or, just put the spring and plunger in a drill press and use the press to compress the spring over the plunger until you can insert a slave pin into the hole on the plunger. I hope this helps and thank you for the enquiry.

Mark Hudson

Brownells, Inc

Huh, drill press!! I certainly overlook the drill press (press bring the key word) for many things, like running a tap straight and true.

Thanks again, gang!!
Chiz
Old September 26, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
dahermit

Just a suggestion: Polish the strut before putting the new coil spring on the strut. It may (or may not), make the pull seem smoother. If not, it will not hurt anything.