The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 2, 2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Hardcase

Winchester Model 50

It just seemed a reasonable deal, but my experience with shotguns is limited to a pair of 1897s.

I just won a local auction for a Winchester Model 50 12 gauge with what looks like a Poly Choke. From the photos, it looks like it's in decent condition - the bluing is a little thin around the edges of the receiver. The wood looks good. From Proofhouse, I see that it's a 1961 gun. I paid $130.

So...did I do OK? I plan to use it instead of the '97s for once a week skeet or sporting clays. I figure that it's got to be better than a hundred year old pump gun with a full choke. Right?
Old August 2, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2
dgludwig

You got a good buy in my estimation. The Model 50. Introduced in 1954 and discontinued seven short years later, it was a well made, nicely handling shotgun. Is yours the standard model (steel receiver) or the "Featherweight" model (alloy receiver)? Does it have a ventilated rib barrel or a plain barrel?
Old August 2, 2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Hardcase

Standard model, plain barrel. I picked it up a couple of hours ago. There are some scratches on the receiver and a few scratches on the stock - the sort of things that you'd expect to see on a 50 year old gun that's been used, but it's honest wear, definitely not abuse. No rust, no dents, just a good old huntin' gun.

Here's a bad picture:

The poly choke isn't original - the barrel is marked as a Full choke, but just looking at the appearance of the lettering on the choke, I'd say that it's probably about as old as the gun itself.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
dgludwig

Poly-Chokes (and Cutts Compensators) were pretty popular "after-market" add-ons before the advent of screw-in chokes ("Winchokes" were first introduced around 1969). Your Model 50 appears to have some decent figure in the walnut and looks pretty darn nice, I'd say. Certainly a steal for what you paid; imo, it's worth at least twice that and likely more.
The add-on recoil pad (at least, I'm pretty sure it is) doesn't help the value but then, neither does the Poly-Choke.
Do you plan on hunting with it? I sure would if it were mine. Ought to make for a nice handling upland gun and I love the classic Winchester looks (especially compared to some of the ugly, ponderous looking stuff on the market today).
Old August 3, 2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Hardcase

I've got some kind of orange-scented wood cleaner sitting around the house that I use on oiled gunstocks. This one was soooo dry that it just sucked the stuff right up. It looks really pretty now.

No hunting for me - I shoot clays and that's what I'm going to do with this one. Sporting clays and skeet. It'll be a nice change from the 1897s

The recoil pad is an add-on. You're right about what it and the choke do to the collector value of the gun, but I was just looking for a shooter, so I think that this one is going to work out just fine. We're heading to the range to shoot skeet tonight.
Old August 3, 2011, 01:05 PM   #6
dgludwig

Have fun but don't make those '97s jealouse-mine used to miss on purpose when I was courting other scattergirls...