The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 13, 2000, 09:50 AM   #1
DCR

Mr. Nolden:

I have read in the CAS forum of people "disconnecting" one of two springs in the Vaquero to smooth out the trigger pull. Can you or anyone advise on this (effect, if any, on safe operation, ease of doing/undoing?) Also, is there an exploded diagram available I may download or otherwise obtain for reference on this revolver or to use in this procedure if I do so?

Much obliged for any thoughts / info.

- - - Don
Old July 13, 2000, 11:14 AM   #2
Gunslinger

Bronco, I have built custom Vaqueros for CAS and have nver heard of removing any springs to "smooth" the action. Nor are there any springs that I know that may be removed and the gun still function. There are spring kits available from Bunk House as well as Wolf Gun Springs that will lighten the action. However I do not recommned these either. The idea of lightening the trigger pull on a single action to be used for CAS is not a good one. I knw, there are several that do this. But still I do not advise it. Rather I recommend smoothing the internals for a smoother, claener, crisp action with no reduction in trigger pull weight.
Ruger can provide you with an owners manual, which has an exploded diagram.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old July 13, 2000, 02:09 PM   #3
DCR

Gunslinger:

Thanks for your views; I thought it sounded kinda odd, and couldn't visualize what they were talking about when I examined the Vaquero's mechanism. Per your well-informed counsel, I will just clean up the internals and leave the rest alone. I don't much like tinkering up a gun too far from original, anyway; it's always harder to sell if you decide to get rid of it.

Thanks -

- - - Don
Old July 14, 2000, 08:53 AM   #4
JoeHatley

What the folks on the CAS forum are probably talking about is unhooking one side of the trigger return spring from the stud that goes through the grip frame.

It probably does work, but I would agree with Gunslinger... I wouldn't do it. Wolff spring kits are inexpensive and easy to install.

For an idea of what is involved, go to www.realguns.com and then into the "archive" section. Then find the three part series on doing Bisley Tigger Improvements. Very informative and it has great photos to guide you through the process.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old July 14, 2000, 10:36 AM   #5
DCR

Joe:

Thank you for the link; that's a neat site!! Good information there - hope more people find it. If you know of any other sites, please feel free to share w/ me if you have time.

Thanks again to everyone for their sage advice.

---Don