The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 22, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Strazznah

Reticle Types

What are the diferences/advantages of one reticle over another? Specifically a Mil-Dot vs Fine Duplex. I am looking to buy a new scope to put on my AR-50 and want to know which reticle would be preferred.
Old February 22, 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
zoomie

What do you want to use it for? Do you want to range with the reticle? That eliminates the German #4, Duplex, etc types. Do you like to work in MOA or MIL? That narrows it down further. The (dis)advantages all lie in the desired use. No reticle is "better" or "worse" than another (within reason of course), as long as you match the reticle to its niche.
Old February 22, 2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Strazznah

"What do you want to use it for?"
My intent is for long range target shooting. Like to start in the 200-400 range until I get fairly competant (with tons o' practice)

"Do you want to range with the reticle?"
Well...I have a range finder, but the thought of ranging "in-scope" may be a handy back-up

"Do you like to work in MOA or MIL?"
I am unsure on this one. I hunt and use rifles with scopes, but the shots are rarely +100yds (usually sight in for 100yds and it is good).

One thing for certain (I think, anyhow) is that I want variable zoom. I have been looking at Nikon's or Sightron's
Old February 22, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
zoomie

Quote:
Well...I have a range finder, but the thought of ranging "in-scope" may be a handy back-up
Then you'll need a ranging reticle - Mil-Dots are the most common. Some companies have a variation on that with lines instead of dots. I think it makes it easier to measure accurately, but it's preference only. Leupold calls it TMR I think. Nightforce calls it MLR. I don't think Nikon has anything but dots.
Old February 23, 2010, 03:06 AM   #5
bamaranger

You CAN range a bit.....

with a duplex or #4, by establishing the DX the width of posts represent at 100, and the DX between pickets, etc, vs the known size of your target.

I'll not go into it, but its done.

Mil dots are better at it, again as long as you know the approximate size of your target, or an object near it. It involves some basic math which can be learned. Also mil-dots provide hold off points for windage and elevation in some instances.

If you are shooting known distances at any range, or distances say, under 300 yds, a duplex likely will suit you fine.